how can i manually engage the 4wd on crv
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can i manually engage the 4wd on crv

crv|oc Rank: Member

how can i manually engage the 4wd on crv

I have a 2002 honda crv. I have gotten stuck a few times on the beach. How can i manually engage the 4wd. thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by billhonduras1 View Post
    I have a 2002 honda crv. I have gotten stuck a few times on the beach. How can i manually engage the 4wd. thanks for any help
    Short answer is, you can't. The RT4WD System is a self contained, hydro-mechanical system that is fully automated.

For more information on how the system works, see:http://www.quebeccrv.com/other/rtawd.pdf

There is also a great deal of information on the forum about effectively using the system. Use the search function and have a look around.

While I'm posting, I'll add my own personal short list of tips:

Deflate your tires to about 15 to 20 psi. Definitely turn the VSA off. Keep the speed up if at all possible. If you feel yourself slowing/bogging down, add throttle to increase front wheel spin. This last tip may seem to violate all the rules and may be counterintuitive but by increasing front wheel spin (VSA off), you increase the amount of torque being fed to the rear axle. The RT4WD System is most effective in sand and snow when the front wheels are spinning. The exact level of wheel spin in different situations, unfortunately, is a matter of experience. The technique has, however, been proven many times in snow.

How ironic that this post would show up in another forum just today:

awd - HondaSUV Forums - Discussion forum and bulletin board for Honda CR-V, CRV, Element, Pilot, HR-V owners
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 05-17-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added text and added link.

Quote Originally Posted by billhonduras1 View Post
    Push hard on the right pedal. tsmithvt's answer is spot on the truth is this vehicle isn't a hardcore offroader my advice is when you get in deep loose terrain pin the throttle down and keep those front wheels spinning.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithvt View Post
    Definitely turn the VSA off.
    You can't on a 2002 model.
    Chris
    Columbus, OH
    2013 CR-V EX-L AWD Kona Coffee Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by aslguy View Post
    You can't on a 2002 model.
    Right you are. Gen 2.0 didn't have VSA so it's one less item for them to be concerned with in tough going (VSA can really be an interference when your hunting for traction). The rest still goes, however.
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 05-17-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Locking 4wd

Dear friends,

I have 2008 CR-V and there isn't 4wd lock. But has anyone done a manual switch to force that hydromechanical switch that controls 4wd to switch on. It should be an easy task but what and where it isn't so easy. So I ask if someone has done this already and can guide us.

AT

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Purely Hydraulic

The mechanism is purely hydraulic. If what you are trying to do could be done, it would probably involve drilling precise holes into the housing to create an external hydraulic flow path through tubing to some valve in the cockpit, or if one got clever a solenoid operated valve mounted on the differential.

I am not real knowledgeable on the rear differential, but my own feeling is that if it could be done easily it would probably be a recipe of destruction for the clutch pack. My understanding is that the clutch pack is designed only for temporary applications of power to the rear wheels, not full time.

Tsmithvt, please chime in.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Now we are close

Yes that's almost what I'm loking for. First there is a 4wd lock which is controlled by the hydraylic switch (now we give a HS name to that switch). That hydraulic switch HS is set on/off NOW by the computer which measures that if front wheels are spinning more tan they should spin (or not). But what I want to do now is to simulate the signal to the HS that front whells are spinning more than thy should spin. At the easiest case it could be a wire A and Wire B where wire B is ground and when 12 VDC is connected to the wire A then HS is set on and 4WD lock is set on. I think that is is that easy but now the A wire must be found. If it is more complicated then HS is controlled not by the current or voltage 12 VDC but by the hydraulic fluid flow BUT THAT HYDRAULIC FLUID FLOW IS CONTROLLED BY THE SWITCH WHICH HAVE TO BE VOLTAGE OPERATED (or what I mean is that there is one MASTER switch that is voltage operated which controls directly or after one, two, three or several hydraulic or pneumatic or what ever switch that locks then the 4WD lock [I'm sure that you get the point]). Now we have to find that MASTER SWITCH and add a manual voltage control to that switch so that when my manual switch is set on then that master switch is also SET ON and 4wd lock is SET ON and vice versa (set off) .

Regards,

AT
    Last edited by doctor_at; 05-23-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_at View Post
    Yes that's almost what I'm loking for. First there is a 4wd lock which is controlled by the hydraylic switch (now we give a HS name to that switch). That hydraulic switch HS is set on/off NOW by the computer which measures that if front wheels are spinning more tan they should spin (or not). But what I want to do now is to simulate the signal to the HS that front whells are spinning more than thy should spin. At the easiest case it could be a wire A and Wire B where wire B is ground and when 12 VDC is connected to the wire A then HS is set on and 4WD lock is set on. I think that is is that easy but now the A wire must be found. If it is more complicated then HS is controlled not by the current or voltage 12 VDC but by the hydraulic fluid flow BUT THAT HYDRAULIC FLUID FLOW IS CONTROLLED BY THE SWITCH WHICH HAVE TO BE VOLTAGE OPERATED (or what I mean is that there is one MASTER switch that is voltage operated which controls directly or after one, two, three or several hydraulic or pneumatic or what ever switch that locks then the 4WD lock [I'm sure that you get the point]). Now we have to find that MASTER SWITCH and add a manual voltage control to that switch so that when my manual switch is set on then that master switch is also SET ON and 4wd lock is SET ON and vice versa (set off) .

Regards,

AT
    Where in the world are you getting your information from? There are NO electrical controls for the RT4WD System. It is a completely self contained, hydro-mechanical system. Please read the following to get a basic idea of how the system works:

http://www.quebeccrv.com/other/rtawd.pdf

I'm very interested in this idea too. I'm almost certain that the system is activated by and responds to the signal from the ABS wheel speed sensors. This is an electronic signal obviously... How would a completely hydraulic system sense wheel spin? Surely someone would know how to fool the computer... Correct me if I'm wrong on the ABS sensors but I don't see how else the system could work.

EDIT: Nevermind. This link explains it well... http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/rtawd.pdf The entire system is in the diff housing and the speed of the driveline vs rear wheels triggers it. Brilliant, really...
    Last edited by t-too; 12-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements