How to remove scratches from vinyl?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove scratches from vinyl?

JMA
    crv|oc Rank: Member

Question How to remove scratches from vinyl?

Help! My CR-V EX-L is only about two weeks old, and a co-worker slid his big, heavy wheeled laptop carrier across the black vinyl sill/bumper while removing it, causing scuff marks in the vinyl (the horizontal part that is hidden when the tailgate is closed). I've already tried using a vinyl cleaner/wax to rub them out, but it appears there are three fairly long (8-10 inch) scratches about a half-inch wide each. They aren't real deep, and probably wouldn't be noticed by most people, but I was wondering if there are products that would allow me to rub them out without causing further harm to the finish. Also, are there any real protectants out there that do more than just add a shine so that I can try to prevent this from happening again?

In addition, I think the same laptop carrier's wheels slid across the interior panel of the tailgate and put scratches across it. Same story as above. Vinyl cleaner/wax didn't help much. Is there anything I can do to fix/hide/protect the interior vinyl from scratches?

While we're on the subject of things sliding around in the back, has anyone come across a good cargo net or organizer that will help hold large objects (like wheeled laptop carriers) in place? Honda's offering does not appear to be very useful, so I'm temporarily using a blanket, which looks tacky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

damage to vinyl

I would use my co-workers liver and kidneys to try & remove the scratch from the vinyl which I would have torn out of him after he caused this damage to my new car!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Yep, I don't think it would help your vinyl, but that co-worker would be toting that laptop carrier internally from now on...

Sorry, I don't have anything but sympathy to offer you.

I have the same issue, but with the plastics on the door ways. It scratches so easily.

bumper protector

I think the Honda Fit has a bumper and cargo bay lip protector (it looks like a beefy vinyl blanket) that you can lay across the back bumper and cargo lip when unloading and loading stuff. Its probably too small for the CR-V though. Maybe not though...

I think also I may have seen a similiar product on the Australian accessories page made specifically for the CR-V. How you would order this I have no idea.

I have the same issue unloading and loading stuff into that area in my CR-V. I am very very cafeful with my wheeled computer bag. I don't want to damage any of the plastic or the rubber seal.

Bumper and Cargo Lip Protector

Hi Florida Keith - I took a look at the Australian link you posted on the other forum.
    I agree, I am not sure why this simple accessory isn't available for CRV's in the US.

I know this sounds dumb, but in looking at the link from your other post, the cargo lip protector seems like it could be improvised from a small carpet sample or rubberized mat of some kind.
    When not in use, it could be used in the cargo area to keep things from shifting around.
    I'm just not sure how it could be secured, so it doesn't slide out when unloading stuff.

I like the idea, though - I had trouble with this problem in my last car - a Dodge Caravan Mini-van.

I was in a band and the heavy band equipment scratched the heck out of the cargo area's plastic surfaces.

Carpet

GoGreen,

I think a piece of carpet is a great idea to protect the bumper and cargo hatch lip. I wish there were a practical way to order some of the Australian Accessories for the CR-V. I really like some of the other accessories as well.

On the UK CR-V accessories page, I saw a portable cooler bag that was powered off the 12V outlet in the CR-V. I really want one!

I'm glad I bought the cargo liner because it's scratched and scuffed from my computer and work bags. Better the liner than the carpet in the cargo area!

JMA,
    If the scuffs on your bumper really bother you this is what I would do.... The Honda Fit has a bumper protector. You could go to a dealership and see if it would fit on your rear bumper. The Fit also offers a cargo lip protector.

2008 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - the Official Honda Web Site

Also, you could also look at compact SUV's from Nissan, Hyundai, Kia for bumper protectors as well. I'm sure a competitor offers a bumper protector that would fit perfectly on your CR-V. Good luck!

Bumper Repair Kit

JMA
    Quote Originally Posted by ok3w View Post
    I would use my co-workers liver and kidneys to try & remove the scratch from the vinyl which I would have torn out of him after he caused this damage to my new car!
    I like this idea, but then would be faced with the chore of removing the annoying blood stains, so will look into some of the other suggestions. Thanks everyone! I've got a thin rubber-backed carpeted welcome mat that I've had for ages that might work if it was larger (and not green and yellow striped...which clashes with Tango Red). I'll keep an eye out for something, but the trick would be getting people to use it when I'm in the driver's seat as they are loading their stuff. (The first incident happened when I wasn't watching.)

I've tried to resign myself to the fact that things are going to happen and try not to be so uptight about it. But I keep my vehicles for a long time and used to (before I started having to cart other people around) be able to keep them looking almost like new for nearly ten years. (Actually, it is my husband who keeps our cars immaculately clean and polished inside and out.)

I'm dreading the day when a stone gets flung off some truck on the highway and homes in on me. I'm actually surprised (knock on wood) that I've made it this long without that happening, although my husband pointed out a tiny chip in the paint on the tailgate near the window today. I've got touch-up paint, but I think that will make it worse. (The chip is so tiny a "normal" person would never see it.)

I did actually put the first small chip in the paint (on the lower edge of the tailgate) myself and was thinking I should post a warning to other new owners who (like me) are unaccustomed to the space needed by the tailgate when it is open. This incident occurred after only about a week of ownership. My husband had filled the car up with gas for the first time and parked it in the garage. He didn't pull it in as far as I usually do, but he made sure the garage door cleared the rear bumper. The next day, I was getting ready to leave for work. I usually open the garage door as soon as I step into the garage, but decided to load my laptop into the cargo area first. I placed the computer into the back but didn't close the tailgate since I had another item in the house that I wanted to put back there. As I came back out of the house with the item, I hit the button to open the garage door. As I walked to the back of the vehicle to load the rest of my stuff, you can imagine my horror when I saw that the garage door, as it was opening, was going to hit the edge of my open tailgate!!! I threw myself between the moving garage door and the tailgate (not a really smart thing to do) and pulled the tailgate down as quickly as I could, but it nicked a little chip of paint off the edge. I was absolutely sick about it. Fortunately, after looking at it, my husband said it wasn't so bad, since that part of the vehicle is plastic, and is pretty well hidden. He hasn't touched it up yet, and I'm afraid to do it (since I'm not even good with applying nail polish or wall paint), but I'm hoping that's the end of the nicks and scratches, at least for a while.

OK..I know you guys like me to write wordy posts...was this one long enough for you?

JMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida_Keith View Post
    Thanks Florida Keith! I'm afraid, though, that I would end up making a bigger mess if I attempted to use this. If anyone does give it a try, let me know!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements