Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Routing of Curt brand wiring harness on 2010 CR-V

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MrJones 
#1 ·
Greetings to all. I finished mounting a Curt brand 2" receiver hitch and wiring harness on our 2010 CR-V. According to the instructions that came with the wiring harness (piece of cake to install) the trailer connection feeds out the rear hatch over the weather stripping. Well the wife saw that today and said no way, not happening, so my question is, is there a way to feed the wiring harness so it comes out under the vehicle. I know the OEM harness is supposed to pass through the body but I didn't see any obvious locations in the short time I was working on/under the V. Any ideas would help.

Thanks

Tom

#9 ·
After showing the Bride several videos concerning the routing of the Curt wiring harness and also one showing how much has to done to install the Honda OEM one she has allowed that since we don't plan on towing a trailer a lot with the V the wiring harness can remain as is. Score one for the guys. LOL
Tom

#10 ·
Question about their harness vs. Honda's. I noticed that the Curt instructions mention plugging it into an existing connector. Yet for the Honda, they have this far longer harness that requires taking off a lot of door trim and apparently routing it to the front of the vehicle.

That makes me wonder exactly what the difference is between the two. I don't really plan on towing a trailer (I'd use this more for a bike rack), but having it wired up and ready to use is still a good idea if I'd need to tow something small in a pinch.

#11 ·
I installed the Curt wiring in my '15 CR-V. It was fairly easy and it has worked great. On my previous '07 Element, Uhaul installed their wiring. After failing twice, I ripped it out and installed a Curt wiring harness and never had issues again. The Curt wiring is a much simpler design that works just as well as Honda's. Plus, it's $41 vs $178 from Honda.

A lot of the Honda instructions is for routing the wiring outside and under the bumper cover to mount directly onto their hitch. I like storing the connections inside the CR-V when not in use. It stays clean and won't corrode like it would if it were exposed to the elements. In your situation where you are not going to tow all that often, you'll know it will work when you need it.

If you haven't seen it, there is an installation video on eTrailer.com: http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Honda/CR-V/2015/C56158.html?vehicleid=20158697

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.