Towing a camper.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing a camper.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Exclamation Towing a camper.

I just bought a used Sunline 15 foot travel trailer (Dry weight 1830lbs). I plan on towing it with my '04 cr-v. I am gonna install the 2" hitch & will have towing stabilizer's on the camper. My question is : Has anyone ever had electric brake controllers installed on their "V" ?
    '84 Prelude
    '91 Accord Wagon
    '04 CR-V

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member

Brake Controller

I have towed a trailer with electric brakes. I installed a Prodigy brake controller. It is really great. It is so good that I do not even notice the trailer when braking.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Dry weight of around 1800? Get that baby weighed pronto before you go on a trip. Adding fuel, food, water...heck ANYTHING, will put you over 2,000lbs.

Your approaching a weight obviously over the tow rating, but worse yet, if your pulling with other in the car, WITH MORE GEAR in the back of the CR-V, oooh man...thats going to be close!

Knowing exact weights is critcal here, cause your knowingly over the tow rating, making Gross weight and Axle weights VERY critical.

Here are the MAX numbers:

1500 = Tow rating (same for Pre-2007 models)

2310 & 2290 = Front & Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (2007+)
    2160 & 2250 = Front & Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (Pre-2007)

4560 = Gross Vehicle weight rating (2007+)

6060 = Gross COMBINED weight (2007+) (this includes the weight of the car AND trailer as towed)
    Last edited by RinconVTR; 12-13-2007 at 10:01 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    The European CR-V (same vehicle as in North America) has 3500 pound weight limits on towing, provided it is equipped with trailer brakes. They also use a better hitch than the wimpy thing that Honda sells in North America - it is more like the Curt hitch.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    The European CR-V (same vehicle as in North America) has 3500 pound weight limits on towing, provided it is equipped with trailer brakes. They also use a better hitch than the wimpy thing that Honda sells in North America - it is more like the Curt hitch.
    That makes absolutly NO difference. Toss out the tow rating completely then, and stick with Gross vehical weight ratings.

No one here knows why the European model has a higher rating, but did you ever consider the CR-V may be built slightly different under the skin? May be fewer air bags or less steel used to increase saftey ratings in the US? Consider their roads are different in any given region too. Who know! I dont know, and you dont either. Only Honda would know the answer. Dont assume!!!

Use the numbers the manufacture provides. If in doubt of your (or my) calculations and numbers provided, talk to any dealer who sells trailers.

We can also discuss your liabilty in this situation, towing 3,000 (or 2000+) lbs with a 1500 lb rated vehical...but thats a whole other thread. But keep it in mind, and keep EVERYONE safe.

But one last point...TRY towing 2000 lbs with your CR-V on an interstate or state highwa YOURSELF before telling us how safe it is. Then come back and tell us how it felt, and how hard the V was working to keep up, and if you recomend others disregard the U.S. ratings.
    Last edited by RinconVTR; 12-14-2007 at 08:00 AM.

I cannot wait for one or more of our European members to post a picture of their V with a camper behind it - and the weight of it. I didn't say it was legal in the US, I just said the vehicle can do it.

If someone is involved in an accident while towing and theyre overweight, even if theyre "not" @ fault, they better have a good err... I mean Great lawyer. (Insurance companies arent stupid)

Camper manufacturers are often optimistic in their dry weights. As RinconVTR said, get it weighted. You might be unpleasantly surprised. But it already appears that it is illegal to tow it with the CR-V since it weights more than 1500 lbs.

Vehicle brakes are a primary variable in a manufacturers tow ratings. I thought I read somewhere the European CR-Vs get 18 wheels. It is highly possible that European CR-V brakes are beefier, less subject to fade, ventilated (to run cooler), and/or etc. Anyone seen any braking distance data?

IF you are going to tow, you can never have too much truck, but you can have too little.
    08 AWD EX-L Navi - Silver/Grey Ordered:10/20/07 Built:11/23/07(Japan) Delivered: 02 Jan 08
    Honda: foglights, side moldings, moonroof visor, trailer harness, mud flaps; Weathertech: floor/cargo mats, window vents, hood deflector; Reese Hitch
    2004 Ford F350 Superduty Diesel
    2000 Ford Mustang

The 2002-2006 CR-V's are higher rated for towing in Europe than North America. It has nothing to do with the wheels as some of these years had the same size wheels and tires. It has to do with lawyer-happy USA.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    The 2002-2006 CR-V's are higher rated for towing in Europe than North America. It has nothing to do with the wheels as some of these years had the same size wheels and tires. It has to do with lawyer-happy USA.
    The European model has no bearing on this debate...in fact, it really shouldn't be a debate. The facts are in writting in each owners manual.

Until Honda tells us the difference in ratings and why they are different across the pond, its a pointless fact.

I do know one thing though about legality, and it acutally does not help my side of this topic. "Rateings" are not law. For example, an officer can not ticket you for pulling 2,000lbs for a car/truck rated for 1500lbs for example. He can ticket you for an unsafe condition though. That could be the rig simply looks unsafe in their oppinion or as simple as not tieing town items in the trailer.

On the flip side, insurance companies WILL take the matter to court when they need to. Its VERY easy to find you liable for an accident (and even deny coverage) when you didnt follow the manufactures weight ratings and limits.

Remember I mentioned pulling 2 ATV's on an aluminum trailer weighing 1800lbs, via scale? Yes I am 300lbs over the 1500lb tow rating, the difference is that I'm still safely under all other gross vehical weights and axle ratings for the CR-V. Were I to have a problem, I have the 3 certified weigh slips to prove my case.

If you use a certified scale, and can keep within all the gross ratings I posted above...you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
    For example, an officer can not ticket you for pulling 2,000lbs for a car/truck rated for 1500lbs for example.
    While I haven't seen it lately, I have seen the State DOT (Dept of Transportation) pull over SUVs w/trailers and weigh them on the portable scales. Hate to wonder how much those tickets cost!
    08 AWD EX-L Navi - Silver/Grey Ordered:10/20/07 Built:11/23/07(Japan) Delivered: 02 Jan 08
    Honda: foglights, side moldings, moonroof visor, trailer harness, mud flaps; Weathertech: floor/cargo mats, window vents, hood deflector; Reese Hitch
    2004 Ford F350 Superduty Diesel
    2000 Ford Mustang

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements