Actual Trailer Towing Experiences
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual Trailer Towing Experiences

crv|oc Rank: Member

Actual Trailer Towing Experiences

There are a lot of discussion on this board about installing a trailer hitch. In fact, this was helpful in my decision to install a Class III hitch. However, I find very little about actual trailer towing experiences.

I am hauling my daughter 1300 miles to start her life in another city. I plan on towing a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer that has a empty weight of 900 lbs. What she has is bulky rather than too heavy.

My question is what has been the experience of towing using a 07 CR-V? Any cautions or things I need to be aware of? What mpg were you getting?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by tpfeffer View Post
    There are a lot of discussion on this board about installing a trailer hitch. In fact, this was helpful in my decision to install a Class III hitch. However, I find very little about actual trailer towing experiences.

I am hauling my daughter 1300 miles to start her life in another city. I plan on towing a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer that has a empty weight of 900 lbs. What she has is bulky rather than too heavy.

My question is what has been the experience of towing using a 07 CR-V? Any cautions or things I need to be aware of? What mpg were you getting?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum!

Must be "towing day" ? No problem with that much weight. Glad to see you got a decent hitch over the wimpy factory one. See this thread for additional info.

Boating
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

I poked around the web a bit today. Found this picture, from Sweden of a 2nd gen CR-V with a nice travel trailer. Remember, the European CR-V has only a 2.0 litre engine, the European towing limits for the CR-V are almost double that of the US (with trailer brakes) and Sweden has real HILLS.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Can we please stop pointing out facts about other countries, and assume it applies here?

Yes, outside the US the CR-V have higher tow ratings...thats true of many imports. However, we (I...and every forum I've ever been on) have seen no actual proof said CR-V's are 100% mechanically identical. That is fact, thus what is said is pure opinion.

Even if they are identical, we're wrong to point out to those who could be new or less experienced in towing, that its ok to exceed the OEM ratings. Because its not ok. Not at all. Its actually very irresponsible.

The answer to the question is that you'll be fine towing the 5x8 enclosed trailer, even is you somehow get 600 lbs od stuff in there, which I doubt. You'll will feel the wind resistance, cant be afraid to let the engine rev, and you'll due the tranny a favor by keeping OD off. Expect around 18-20 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
    Can we please stop pointing out facts about other countries, and assume it applies here?

Yes, outside the US the CR-V have higher tow ratings...thats true of many imports. However, we (I...and every forum I've ever been on) have seen no actual proof said CR-V's are 100% mechanically identical. That is fact, thus what is said is pure opinion.

Even if they are identical, we're wrong to point out to those who could be new or less experienced in towing, that its ok to exceed the OEM ratings. Because its not ok. Not at all. Its actually very irresponsible.

The answer to the question is that you'll be fine towing the 5x8 enclosed trailer, even is you somehow get 600 lbs od stuff in there, which I doubt. You'll will feel the wind resistance, cant be afraid to let the engine rev, and you'll due the tranny a favor by keeping OD off. Expect around 18-20 MPG
    No, they are not identical. They are at least somewhat inferior than the US version due to a lessor engine size. They also have fewer money hungry attorneys and lawyers. The European versions also get a beefier trailer hitch than the cheap one that Honda sells in the US. Europe also REQUIRES trailer brakes on anything over the US weight restriction. The US manual makes zero mention of trailer brakes.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    The whole deal with lower limits being based on US attorney and sue happy Americans is baseless and fact-less. I'm not saying I disagree...but as far as I'm concerned, it is a myth because there is 0% fact to back it up.

Also, I believe one state, California, requires trailer brakes for anything over 1000lbs. All other states go over Class 1 towing, ranging in the 2-3k trailer weight before requiring brakes.

I think its really immature to point at others (other countries in this case) and continue to say in so many words "If they can do it, well then I can do it too" like children do.

So other countries have different ratings...so what. We have our ratings (and rules), for whatever reason we dont exactly know, and we should be responsible in pointing out those ratings for other folks to be aware of.

If people chose to ignore the ratings the OEM provides, that is their own risk. But I will not be irrespirable and point out facts from other countries that should not be applied in the U.S.A, and lead to assumptions that all will be fine.

Ive been honest about pulling 2 ATVs that nears 2k Gross Trailer weight, and I know by doing this first hand, the CR-V wasnt meant to pull this much. If you try it yourself one day, your tune would likely change quickly.

Its not confident inspiring to feel as if the trailer is having its way with your tow vehicle!

You know...for many many years there was a video taken from over seas of a little euroean car pulling a travel trailer up a small hill, then once second later the trailer was pulling the car down the hill. But if you think about that...how long and how far do you think that guy traveled before this occured? The car could pull it (until it broke)...does that make it ok?

To answer tpfeffer's question, go check out this thread:
    Towing a camper.

Your CRV is perfectly capable - mechanically (and yes, your manual will tell you that it's within recommended weights). If you've never towed before than I would suggest you take the time, in a parking lot and on back roads to get the feel for it before you head out on the interstate. i would even suggest that you allow lots of time for your trip, and stay off the interstate until you feel totally comfortable towing a trailer.

It's not difficult, but it is different. You need to be completely aware of the fact that you are towing half the weight of your vehicle behind you, and it is subject to cross winds and drafts from other vehicles. (but so is your CRV when you drive, and you can handle that, can't you). You need to have all of your attention on the road and the drivers around you at all times. You need to adjust your driving habits so that you are aware of the added strain on your engine and drivetrain, and don't exceed them. (I have seen transmissions go with a vehicle pulling an empty trailer - 250 lbs) And you have to make sure that your vehicle is mechanically sound and prepared to pull the extra weight.

You can expect your mpg to take a hit, but not a major one. Your vehicle will use more fuel to get up to speed than it will to maintain that speed, but be realistic here, you are towing a trailer, expect to use a bit more fuel...

Follow this link for some excellent advise on towing trailers:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt12.htm
    Last edited by Tim Vance; 01-22-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Give me a break. I was looking for helpful, actual experiences in towing a 1500 lb trailer with the CR-V. You have taken the question all out of perspective providing useless and meaningless tirades. If you don't have constructive response, get off my post!

Now, does anyone have a constructive response to my question based on actual experiences?

Sorry for the hijack tpfeffer, but I felt that mis-information had to be dealt with - since he didn't bother to address it in the previous thread, and decided to continue it in yours....

Hidden somewhere in my previous post, and the link I provided, gives a response that should be helpful to you.

I routinely pull a 2000 lb (loaded) popup tent trailer and have no problems pulling it. But, please be aware that it will put a strain on your drivetrain and engine, so take it easy. (any towing will put a strain on any engine, more than normal driving).
    In my opinion, and experience, since you have the almost the same engine I do, with the same hp and torque you shouldn't have any problems.

As some others have pointed out, 1500 lbs is the max manufacturers recommended towing capacity, so you need to do your research, and determine on your own whether you feel safe doing it.

Happy motoring!

Just some extra info for what it's worth.

In Europe the 2.2l diesel is rated to tow 2000kg which is 4400lbs.

My boat weighs 1000kg, 2200lbs, and it tows this absolutely fine.

I wonder if the reason for the difference between US and European max towing weights is the gearbox - the diesel only comes with a manual - the petrol model comes in manual or automatic, but is rated much lower, about 1000kg, I think.

My Honda ball hitch attachment is very substantial - my guess is it weighs a good 100lbs on it's own. It is a quality piece of kit, and inspires confidence,

Also the 07 CRV is supposed to have some kind of trailer stability program, that can correct a weaving trailer, but I have never seen it function.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements