My experiences towing 2,500 lbs in a CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My experiences towing 2,500 lbs in a CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member

My experiences towing 2,500 lbs in a CRV

Enclosed is a my impressions on towing a ~2,500 lbs boat with my stock 2002 CRV. The intent of this thread is to provide my justification for exceeding the to capacity and share my experiences with towing a 2009 Bayliner 175.

The Boat to tow a 2009 Bayliner.... The boat was selected because:
    1. Seats 7
    2. fits in my garage (overall length = 20 foot 1 inch)
    3. Can tow with the CR-V
    The Boat + trailer + 20 gal of gas = ~2,400 lbs. So, why did I think I can tow with the CRV? Well as others have stated, the 2002 CRV spec's for other countries indicate the max tow rating at 3,000 lbs. I have driven many miles and although you can feel the trailer, I have never felt underpowered and/or in danger while towing the boat. The brakes handle the stopping fine, although I should get trailer brakes as, Overtons sells a bolt on trailer braking kit for ~$450.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

in garage ~4 inch clearance to door

alpha drive down, ~4 inch clearance

wheel skates to move boat by hand for storage

offset view in garage

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

with CRV

hooked up ready for road trip

ready to retrieve

wifey driving boat to trailer

trailer on CRV

winching the boat on trailer, no issues for such a light boat

pulling the boat out...no issues...plenty of power and no slippage

ready to head home.
    Keithm

crv|oc Rank: Silver

One Reason Not To Exceed The Recommended Weight

We had quite a nasty thread about this several years ago which may have ended in a duel. Avoiding all the technical hogwash, I could care less either way, I will give you one very good reason not to exceed the maximum weight.

If you are ever involved in an accident, not necessarily your fault, and your overloaded vehicle causes a severe injury or fatality, some tort lawyer is going to clean your clock like it has never been cleaned before. Good luck with that.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Unfortunately one of the bad things about the good old U.S. of A . The law schools keep churning out more of them every day. After reading some horror stories I bought balloon insurance several years ago. If you have anything to lose at all, it's a good thing.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy43 View Post
    Unfortunately one of the bad things about the good old U.S. of A . The law schools keep churning out more of them every day. After reading some horror stories I bought balloon insurance several years ago. If you have anything to lose at all, it's a good thing.
    i don't mind paying the $19 per month to keep my legal insurance. you never know when you'll need a lawyer.

i can say from experience that it's well worth it!

As a former Ridgeline RTS owner I am still amazed by the number of Ridgeline and CR-V owners who push the towing limits of their respective vehicles. If anyone is interested, check out the towing thread on the ROC site. You won't believe the boats, trailers, etc., some owners are towing.

I am sure that the manufacturer's towing limits are under stated for legal and safety reasons, but this is not a valid reason for exceeding the limits. I knew the CR-V's towing limitations before making the purchase in June. If I need to haul a 2,000 lb load with my 8X5 utility trailer, I use my son's 2003 Tacoma TRD PreRunner.
    2009 Urban Titanium CR-V EX, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Honda Rear Cargo Liner, Chrome VTEC License Plate Frame, Chrome Honda Exhaust Extension.

2001 Super White Toyota Highlander, 2.4 VVT-i 4cyl, Lexus RX 300 Wheels, Kumho KH16 Tires.

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    That launch ramp doesn't seem very steep. Did you have trouble keeping the V up the incline while launching, or did it stay pretty stable with decent traction?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks for the info Keith! Enjoy your boating and play safe. To bad Honda puts such a low wt. limit on the cars they build!Covering their back side I guess. I would not have purchased a V if I had known it had such a low tow rating. Hal

Thanks for all the replies. The 2002 CR-V is designed and sold to tow 3,306 lbs (in other countries).

This article review's the towing features of the 2002 CRV (Austrailian sold)

Reference web site:
    http://www.boatsales.com.au/tow-test...honda-crv-9849

The 2002 CRV is rated to tow 3,306 lbs, if you add trailer brakes and only 1,322 lbs without trailer brakes. My state requires trailer brakes on trailers > 3,000 lbs

My hitch

hitch vendor data
    So, let's say I bring a 2002 Australian CRV (and owners manual with a 3,306 tow capability) back to the USA, am I limited to tow 1,500lbs? Of course not. Yet the CRV's sold have the same frames, braking systems, drive train, engines....
    Keith
    Last edited by keithm; 09-27-2009 at 02:50 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements