Honda rust proof. Good enough?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honda rust proof. Good enough?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Honda rust proof. Good enough?

I have a new 2011 ex-l sport and I had it rust proofed at the dealer. Now they say it's good for ten yrs, but I noticed they don't drill out the main body and spray like the guys at crown rust proof do. Is rust proofing inside the body as necessary as the doors, hood, trunk and undercarriage? Do you guys think it's over kill to go get it done at crown. Thx for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Too late now, but you could have saved yourself the cost of dealer rust proofing and gone to Krown or Rust Check at the beginning.
    But now, I would not spend the money to get a second application. Had my previous CRV for 10 years and over 200K km's. No rust to be found anywhere and it was not rustproofed other then what Honda does at the factory. So, I don't plan to get my 2011 rustproofed and don't plan to keep it for 10 years.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I stopped rustproofing my cars a couple of cars back. When I checked out the warranty from these guys most of them just return you your money...pro-rated too...if any rust does happen. Then I noticed a couple of my neighbors driving their 10 yr old cars without a sign of rust (not sure about underneath) and figured why bother. Just my opinion but I think just some proper care of washing and rinsing the underside in winter when you can is plenty good enough now days..and I live in upstate new york where our roads are not blacktop but white in the winter from all the salt.

I work in a auction centre in the uk, I have seen over the last few years a marked change in the condition of cars offered for sale.10 years ago a 10 year old car would be full of holes, today a 10 year old if looked after will look as good as new.I do not think ''modern'' cars need to be pampered. And over here we panic when we get half inch of snow or minus 1 and fill the roads with grit and salt.

Drilling holes in a new car does not makes sense to me .

The Honda factory stuff is good but very expensive .I have the Honda rust proof but I got a great deal on the price( almost the same price as one application of crown) .I imagine there has to be a application guide for each car from Honda .They probably would know where it`s needed the most .

Another poster noted cars are not rusting like before .If you plan on keeping your car a long time then rust proof .But if only 4-6 year I would not bother .

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post

The Honda factory stuff is good but very expensive .I have the Honda rust proof but I got a great deal on the price( almost the same price as one application of crown) .
    Don't know what you're talking about. Honda factory rust proofing is on every vehicle and cost nothing extra. You must have bought dealer rustproofing, and most of them get it done by an outside vendor. Some use well known brands. Some don't. I would not spend the money unless I know exactly who's doing it.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Add-on rust proofing in no longer necessary and may cause problems of its own by plugging up drain holes, etc. Having worked at a dealership in the late '70s when dealer-added rust proofing was a huge profit center, I saw the jokers who applied the stuff and the manner in which they did their work -- pretty scary.
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2006 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2004 Mazda3 Sport 2.3
    2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Don't waste time reading my motorcycling blog Tilted Horizons!

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements