The 4 generations: external differences
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 4 generations: external differences

The 4 generations: external differences

After a year with CR-V, I still have a look at all V:s I meet and see.

For each generation there are various trims, surely differenecs between model years and countries, but this is, as you know, the general look of each generation:

Name:  small 4 generations.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  62.6 KB

... and from the rear:
    Name:  small 4 gen rear view.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  59.1 KB

(in 2005 and 2006, generation 2 had clear instead of orange indicator covers)

For Europe, maybe also US: There were updates coming 2005 and 2010 = generations called 2.5 and 3.5, respectively. Also gen 1 was updated during its years, I think in 1999.
    Last edited by canyon; 07-24-2014 at 02:40 AM.
    Hidden Content 2005 CR-V / silver moss metallic / 2.0 L petrol engine / manual gearbox Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Sometimes, I had difficulties to quickly distinguish generation 3 from 4, until I realised that this difference may be the easiest to spot:

Name:  gen3 vs gen4.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  22.0 KB
    Last edited by canyon; 05-17-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Hidden Content 2005 CR-V / silver moss metallic / 2.0 L petrol engine / manual gearbox Hidden Content Hidden Content

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    They are all nice. Of course I love my gen 4, but gen 2 has a nice stance and look about it that I really like and that would be my choice if I didn't have a gen 4.
    2013 EX-L White Diamond Pearl

hood deflector | running boards | splash guards | tailgate spoiler | body side molding | chrome exhaust tip | chrome tailgate garnish | engine cover | weathertech window visors | weathertech cargo liner | husky weatherbeater floor liners | lower bumper steel mesh insert | low tone horn | philips daylight 4 led drl | civic si style wheels | cross bars

I love my gen 3, but I am sure I'd be happy with any generation. I've wanted a CR-V since they were first introduced but it took another 14 years before I got one. I took a brief detour though by getting a Pilot about a year ago, but when we test drove our 2007 Taffeta White EX-L this past St. Patricks day, it was goodbye 2006 Pilot EX and hello 2007 CR-V EX-L! I don't think I've ever been more enameled by a car before. Love at first sight/test drive!

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Thumbs up

I luv my gen.3 CRV, but absolutely loved my Gen.1 CRV. Had 3 of them as a matter of fact!

I might still have my (silver bullet) 2000 CRV to this day, if it weren't written off in an accident. Had it rustproofed since day 1, and still had no rust until it's demise.

Nice thread canyon
    Current owner of The Black Pearl 2009 EX-L Nav AWD CRV & a 2003 Acura EL
    Previous owner of an Inaugural 1997 Leased LX CRV and (2) 2000 EX CRV's
    2007 RTL Nav Ridgeline, 1996 Acura TL & 1994 DOHC VTEC del Sol

My Garage: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I miss my 1st gen. Personally, best gen was the 1st.

Also to note, the 05-06 got a different front as well as the rear which you mentioned.
    Hidden Content <--- Click for a totalled CR-V.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    We have one of each, 2011 EX-L AWD and 2014 EX AWD. Both are excellent SUV's and there are things I like/dislike about each:
    The '14 feels peppier, and has better acceleration. However, it feels like it has more body sway to it. I really hate the space age instrument cluster (which is not lined up with the driver) and I am not a fan of the rear end. Someone said it looks like a Pontiac Aztec and I can't get that image of my mind! Finally, really tired of the TPMS light that comes on immediately after reset.
    The '11 has more interesting lines (IMO). It feels more stable through the corners. I like the classic look of the instrument panel. It could definitely use a few more hp, but once it's up to speed it has good acceleration and passing power. The ignition/starter has the intermittent grinding noise that can never be replicated at the dealer.
    Gas mileage is about dead even for combined city/hwy driving at 26 mpg on mostly standard grade fuel.
    Again, I think you can't go wrong with either. We also have a 2007 EX AWD which my son has taken about anywhere a small SUV can go and it's been absolutely trouble free.
    2011 EX-L AWD Polished Metal Metallic
    2007 EX AWD Glacier Blue Metallic
    2014 EX AWD White Diamond Pearl (Company Car)

2006 Pilot EX-L (Sold)
    1998 Accord V-6 (Sold)
    1994 Accord EX-L (Sold)
    1982 Prelude (Sold)

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I like the current gen at 2015. I just wish the rear end was not lowered too low.
    ***2015 Silver Touring***

<Previously Owned>
    *2006 Silver Civic DXG
    *1999 Acura EL Premium
    *1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    *1993 Mazda MX6 Mystere
    *1991 Ford Mustang LX
    *1988 Ford Mustang LX

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I went from a 1st gen to a 4th gen: most notably moving the spare seems to have resulted in a tire's width of extra room behind the back seats: coolers and suitcases that I had to put in widthwise now fit lengthwise. Also the change in suspension reduced those awkward protruding bumps in the trunk and changed them into something sheer, making the space more useful. That the rear doors now open almost to 90 degrees is exceedingly handy for popping in those pet carriers.

Personally I don't care for the window tinting on EX & above in the '15 (had an LX '97 before): I glance over my shoulder before changing lanes and the contrast between front and rear windows makes it trickier to use one's peripheral vision there. In return though I get a 33% better power-to-weight ratio and a move from a 4-speed to an ∞-speed gearbox, which means I don't have to worry any more about short or uphill on-ramps.

I'll also say that the windshield seems far larger on the Gen 4 to the extent that it's even a bit awkward to get those park stickers into the corners and that the spare tire-mounted bike rack I have isn't nearly as useful as it once was.
    Last edited by toast21; 04-06-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda4Life View Post

Also to note, the 05-06 got a different front as well as the rear which you mentioned.
    As well as Gen.3 pictured above is only the 2010-11 model. 2007-09 had (in my opinion) ugly bow tie grill on the front, as can be barely seen in the 1st pic of my signature. I've been looking at ways to mod it without the bowtie. Gonna get it done soon, now that winter is done.
    Current owner of The Black Pearl 2009 EX-L Nav AWD CRV & a 2003 Acura EL
    Previous owner of an Inaugural 1997 Leased LX CRV and (2) 2000 EX CRV's
    2007 RTL Nav Ridgeline, 1996 Acura TL & 1994 DOHC VTEC del Sol

My Garage: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread