I'm sure everyone has had experience changing out bulbs in the past on their CRV's but since this was the first of mine on the gen 3 - I thought a little "black pearl" type write up might be nice to make the task easier for those who will need to complete this task in the future.
small flat screwdriver - to remove cover
medium phillips screwdriver (or 8mm socket) - to remove screw
rubber gloves to avoid getting grease\oils on bulb.
brakelight\tailight bulb 34906-ST5-003 local honda dealership
1. Open rear hatch and locate 2 circular screw housings one top, one bottom of lamp assembly.
2. Use small flat screwdriver to remove cover - set aside so you don't lose it - duh!
3. Use either medium phillips screwdriver or 8mm socket to remove screws - set aside so you don't lose
4. You will need to pull the entire lamp assembly off of the rear of the CRV. It will seem like it is loose but doesn't really want to come all the way off; be patient and gently pull the unit off. You can see in photo 4 that there are are two (4 total on unit) fasteners -one on the lower left hand side and one right above the lamp (which I let fall off). You need to be aware that these fasteners can come loose and fall off of the unit, but easily can be replaced so that the unit will snap back into place. (see photo 5)
4a. Twist lamp holder 1/4 turn to release and expose bad bulb. (see photo 6) While wearing gloves (I wasn't in photo), pull bulb straight out. To replace bulb, make sure to push firmly into socket as it clicks into place otherwise the bulb falls easily out of the fastener and falls to the floor breaking so you need to use the "spare" that you bought. Test bulb with brakes (or whatever bulb is out) to make sure it works.
5. Take bulb and replace back into assembly unit and turn 1/4 turn to lock back into place.
6. Make sure that all 4 fasteners are on the light assembly unit before trying to replace back onto the CRV. This step is rather redundant but trust me I made all these mistakes... It's very easy to get the assembly unit back onto the CRV vs. taking it off.
7. Use phillips screwdriver to replace screws that lock assembly unit to vehicle; snap covers back into place.
Total cost $7.62 for 2 bulbs
Total time 15 minutes.
Mechanical skill level - easy