Replacing brakelight bulb
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing brakelight bulb

crv|oc Rank: Senior

Replacing brakelight bulb

I'm sure everyone has had experience changing out bulbs in the past on their CRV's but since this was the first of mine on the gen 3 - I thought a little "black pearl" type write up might be nice to make the task easier for those who will need to complete this task in the future.

Tools needed:
    small flat screwdriver - to remove cover
    medium phillips screwdriver (or 8mm socket) - to remove screw
    rubber gloves to avoid getting grease\oils on bulb.
    brakelight\tailight bulb 34906-ST5-003 local honda dealership

1. Open rear hatch and locate 2 circular screw housings one top, one bottom of lamp assembly.

2. Use small flat screwdriver to remove cover - set aside so you don't lose it - duh!

3. Use either medium phillips screwdriver or 8mm socket to remove screws - set aside so you don't lose

4. You will need to pull the entire lamp assembly off of the rear of the CRV. It will seem like it is loose but doesn't really want to come all the way off; be patient and gently pull the unit off. You can see in photo 4 that there are are two (4 total on unit) fasteners -one on the lower left hand side and one right above the lamp (which I let fall off). You need to be aware that these fasteners can come loose and fall off of the unit, but easily can be replaced so that the unit will snap back into place. (see photo 5)

4a. Twist lamp holder 1/4 turn to release and expose bad bulb. (see photo 6) While wearing gloves (I wasn't in photo), pull bulb straight out. To replace bulb, make sure to push firmly into socket as it clicks into place otherwise the bulb falls easily out of the fastener and falls to the floor breaking so you need to use the "spare" that you bought. Test bulb with brakes (or whatever bulb is out) to make sure it works.

5. Take bulb and replace back into assembly unit and turn 1/4 turn to lock back into place.

6. Make sure that all 4 fasteners are on the light assembly unit before trying to replace back onto the CRV. This step is rather redundant but trust me I made all these mistakes... It's very easy to get the assembly unit back onto the CRV vs. taking it off.

7. Use phillips screwdriver to replace screws that lock assembly unit to vehicle; snap covers back into place.

Total cost $7.62 for 2 bulbs
    Total time 15 minutes.
    Mechanical skill level - easy
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Badgerland; 03-22-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added part number

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Very Well Done!

Great job on the instructions and great photos too as well! A+++ Badgerland.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Excellent!!!!
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 03-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

And if I might add, I believe there's 3 of those clips that might fall off. Definitely get those back on WITH the foam. If those clips and/or the foam is missing, YOU WILL HAVE A WATERLEAK.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks for this info. It was invaluable. I got instructions from another website and they neglected to mention the "click". I replaced my rear brake lights, and they didn't work. Then I found this forum.

All is good now. Thank you again.

Artie

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by tkcr View Post
    And if I might add, I believe there's 3 of those clips that might fall off. Definitely get those back on WITH the foam. If those clips and/or the foam is missing, YOU WILL HAVE A WATERLEAK.
    A big thanks to Badgerland for sure.
    There is 3 on my 2007 too. I might add that since most bulbs are sold in pkg. of 2, and bulbs tend to get dim as they age, and if one failed it's most likely the other is near it's end too, why not replace the other while your up to speed? (Why not replace all of them) It may also be very helpful to have a tool to pry the lens away from the car because those 3 expanding fasteners can be quite persistent. Something like a drywall knife(/spatula). Something that can pry in a tight spot and not damage the cars paint.
    And at Canadian Tire it's bulb # 7443 for us Canucks eh!
    Oh and if you don't have rubber gloves you can use your shirt tail and actually I don't think the bulbs are halogen gas, quartz lens, so I don't think a finger print would lead to their early demise.
    Last edited by fixer; 02-19-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added text

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements