Front End Shimmy
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front End Shimmy

crv|oc Rank: Member

Unhappy Front End Shimmy

I have a 1999 Honda CR-V which I bought used. At about 40 to 50 MPH it develops a bad shimmy which dissappears if I decelerate a little or accelerate a little. Also the steering wheel will move back and forth about 1/2 of an inche if I let go of the wheel at very low speeds. I was told by a Honda Tech that it could be a bent halve axle. I replaced the right front axle which seems to be the side that the shimmy is coming from. This did not make a differance. I have had the tires rotated and balanced which did not help either. This vehicle has 138000 miles on it. Any help would be geatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by countrytek
    I have a 1999 Honda CR-V which I bought used. At about 40 to 50 MPH it develops a bad shimmy which dissappears if I decelerate a little or accelerate a little. Also the steering wheel will move back and forth about 1/2 of an inche if I let go of the wheel at very low speeds. I was told by a Honda Tech that it could be a bent halve axle. I replaced the right front axle which seems to be the side that the shimmy is coming from. This did not make a differance. I have had the tires rotated and balanced which did not help either. This vehicle has 138000 miles on it. Any help would be geatly appreciated.
    Have the tires been balance AND rotated?
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's
    Have the tires been balance AND rotated?
    Yes. I have had the tires rotated and balanced twice.

Have you had the propellor shaft checked?

Also, not changing the automatic tranny fluid when due can cause strange vibrations in the V. (Use ONLY Honda AT fluid) It won't cure a shimmy, but it might help with vibrations, especially under acceleration.

I hate front wheel drive cars for the mainstream front end shaking deal.

Brake rotors (replace pads as well, do NOT just get the rotors machined with the same old pads. Buy NEW rotors)

Tie rods.

Control arm bushings.

Wheel balancing is pretty common, but that's more of a drone in the wheel rather than an actual shimmy/shake.

Good luck, man.

A broken belt in a tire can cause a shimmy and cause steering wheel shake. Is there any chance of either replacing the tires with a known good set or having them balanced again with one of the road force balancers?

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's
    A broken belt in a tire can cause a shimmy and cause . Is there any chance of either replacing the tires with a known good set or having them balanced again with one of the road force balancers?
    Any time I've had a broken belt in cheap tires, I've been able to visibly see it just by sitting eye level with the wheels.

Could jack the car up and spin the wheel..there should be no changes in the height across the top of the tread when you're looking at it.

Check the swaybar brackets

Did you check the brackets on the sway bar?

Intermittent Body shake and shimmy at 40-45 mph

Hi there! First post Dave here.

Well this is as strange as I seen it! 98 CRV DX with 143K. Runs beautifully and smooth. All of a sudden, under light acceleration will begin a severe short period shaking that will rattle your teeth. Hit the brake and try to duplicate the condition by reaccelerating but it doesn't do it again. It's only happened once to me, while I was riding with my son driving and I asked him to slow down quickly. Speed of incident about 35 mph. I thought we might have hit a washboard road or it almost felt like ABS shudder except in the whole car and not just the brake pedal. Son says it has happened a couple other times at 40-45 mph.. Not tires or rims after checking for tread seps and loose lugnuts.

Does DX have ABS? Could a transmission valve stick and shudder? As far as I know trans fluid has never been changed. Trans Mount and engine mounts look OK but haven't had it on a lift to remove. Puzzling because it's so random. How about O2 sensor prob?

Help!!!
    Dave Mc

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements