Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfing with a CR-V '14

Tags
crv surfing
8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bewildering 
#1 ·
So I have an obscure question. Never really thought about it til it came up to hit me. Was planning to surf alone this morning at the break of dawn. Realized I didn't know where to keep my keys while I'm out in the water. It used to be that non-electronic keys were just worn as a necklace. Could not do that these days even with a waterproof bag since they leak after some time. Was planning to do that with the valet key but how do I lock the doors without it alarming or without making the car sense that the key is inside? Never really knew how to use valet keys.

#2 ·
Bring a plastic bag and burry the keys in an obscure location that you won't forget. Otherwise, you could get one of those magnetic key holders to hide the key somewhere in the underbody.

#4 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about this myself, having just picked up a CR-V. My van had the older keys with no worries if they get wet. I'll be interested in hearing what you decide.

I'll have a trailer hitch. I recall seeing some kind of hitch mounted lock where the key can go.

#5 ·
You'd still have to worry about rust :p
Yeah I've heard about those and I still wouldn't trust those, esepcially if the thief was already scoping you. I'm pretty sure they figured a way to crack that box. Like I said, the valet key will be the most "conservative" way. Just wondering if there's a right way to do this what with all the chips, sensors and alarms technology has given us today. And yes, we'd still have to worry about rust, also when inserting the wet key in the keyhole.

#6 ·
I haven't tried this but I don't think there's a proximity device in a CR-V fob so you should be able to lock the keys in the car with the valet key. Try it at home in your driveway with the extra set of keys close at hand.
The valet key should let you unlock, start the car and drive it, but I'm pretty sure it won't unlock the glove box.
I know on my Accord it won't unlock the glove box or the trunk release either.

#7 ·
Leave electronic keys in the car. Take the valet key around neck to surf.

#16 ·
There is a compartment under the passenger front floor mat you could leave your regular keys in.

Your dealer or locksmith should be able to cut a door only key for a small fee.

View attachment 28401
Wow, I had no idea, any idea the dimension? I guess I can check the next time I'm at the car, if I remember. :)

#13 ·
nesdog: That's good to hear! Thanks for giving me a head's up! What state you from?

Enzetsu: Yup that's what I was thinking. It'd still be nice to get one cut cause it's just a spare and it's less bulky.

THanks for the replies, everyone! So glad forums like this exist.

#17 ·
This is one of the scenarios where I really miss my Ford with the numeric keypad. When I was anywhere where I didn't want to carry the keys, I just put them in the center console, locked the car and walked away. All I had to remember was a 5 digit code to open the door and get into the car. I have a different thread to see if anyone has any experience with aftermarket versions of the keypad, but there doesn't seem to be much interest out there.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13-dear-honda-feedback-forum/24529-door-keypad-cr-v-2013-a.html

#18 ·
Help!

Hi,

I am also a surfer and I just inherited my wife's 2014 CR-V.

I used the valet key this morning to go surfing. But the problem is that my car alarm goes off every time I unlock the door with the Valet key. Does anyone else have this problem? What am I doing wrong? Is there a valet mode in the 2014 CR-V?

We got the KARR system when we bought the CR-V. Is this the issue? Because people on this thread seem to be able to use the valet key no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.