vsa off
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: vsa off

crv|oc Rank: Member

vsa off

Hello!
    I am from Grecce and I am apologise for my bad English.
    I had a Honda CR-V 2006 i-vtec. I am going off-road a lot of time.(beach, mountain….)
    Some friends told me that when I am going for off road I must turn off the VSA. But I think that for the CR-V the 4X4 and the VSA have to work coincidently.
    Could you give me an advise please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior

Smile Welcome

First off welcome to the board,second don't apologize for your English because then I would have to apologize for my Greek which is none and my spelling which is sad.I do not off road but from what I have picked up from the members that do ,no you don't have to turn the VSA off.They turn it off because they want to have full control over their V in all situations and it is supposably more fun.When the VSA is active it takes some control over your engine output and brakes which in some tricky spots is not what you would want as it would act different than normal.Perhaps one of the members who does off road can answer your question better than I did.
    A foolish man speaks when he has nothing to say and a wise man listens when he has nothing to hear.

Thanks for your reply!
    If someone does off road please tell me when the 4x4 works better.. with VSA on or off??

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Cool

i would have to say, turn it off.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

i would have to say it depends on the condition you travel in.
    sometimes, you need the momentum to keep going. so you would need to turn it off - if you dont, instead of helping you - it gets you in trouble.

to give you an example: last year i was on this street full of ice, with the VSA on - i step on the gas and the car just stood still and would not budge even an inch. i turn it off and hit the gas and even though i got some wheel spin, i was able to move forward and not get stuck in that certain spot.
    Last edited by jeprox; 10-20-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    2007 LX 2wd - Royal Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jimmmpao View Post
    Thanks for your reply!
    If someone does off road please tell me when the 4x4 works better.. with VSA on or off??
    I apologize in advance to those members who really don't like long posts. I sympathize but here I go again anyway.

The answer is not as simple as "better..with VSA on or off".

To effectively use RT4WD you need to understand both how that system works and also how the VSA System works.

The VSA System is really two subsystems. It has a yaw control function and also a traction control function. It's really VSA/TCS. The yaw control part of the system will apply the brakes on one side of the vehicle or the other to control excessive understeer (plowing/pushing in a corner) or oversteer (when the rear end gets loose and starts to come around on you). The VSA System monitors ABS wheel speed and three other sensors (7 in all) looking for wheel speed differences, the patterns of those differences and driver inputs. If the system detects vehicle responses that are sufficiently different from driver inputs (loss of control), it intercedes to bring the vehicle back under control.

The traction control part of the system (TCS) monitors the front wheel speed (ABS) sensors for excessive wheel spin on one side or the other. If a spinning wheel is detected, the TCS will apply the brake on the spinning side and redirect torque (“torque pushing”) to the wheel with traction (non spinning wheel). The system will also take control of the throttle and limit power until traction is reestablished (front wheel speed differences are back within preset limits). BTW, both differentials on CR-Vs are open and the TCS, in effect, acts as an electronic limited slip front differential (LSD).

When operating off road, speeds are generally low enough so that the yaw control function of the VSA System is not really necessary. This is one reason for turning the system off. (That trip to the local mall parking lot after a fresh snow fall, for a few quick donuts is another).

The RT4WD System is an "on demand" type system. It reacts to the front axle slip rate and feeds torque to the rear wheels in proportion to the difference between front and rear axle, average wheel speeds. (See reference material). Therefore, anything that limits an operator's ability to aggressively apply power and deliberately spin the front wheels (as necessary), also limits the operator's ability to feed more torque to the rear wheels when needed. This could mean the difference between successfully negotiating a mud hole or snow drift and not. (This, to some extent, flies in the face of conventional 4X4 wisdom which would have us trying to limit wheel spin.) The “on demand” nature of RT4WD is the second (more important) reason for turning the VSA System off when the going gets SLOW and TOUGH.

One last note: The disabling of the VSA/TCS when “slogging it out” is wise primarily because of the system’s inclusion of throttle intervention. It’s too bad that just the throttle control can’t be disabled but we must remember the primary applications the CR-V was designed for. Also, off road, control of the open differentials can be accomplished using an old technique called “left foot braking”. (Left foot braking predates WW II and was taught before the days of fancy LSDs and electronic traction control.) When excessive wheel spin on one side becomes a problem, gently apply the brakes along with throttle. The application of brakes will have a tendency to push some torque to the wheels with traction. It’s not near as efficient as modern traction control systems but it can be the difference if you ever need just a little more to make it through an obstacle.

http://www.hobby-rc.com/rtawd.pdf
    (Be patient, it takes a LONG time to load)

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef229e9/0
    (Starting at paragraph #10)

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/844/releases/3650
    (For VSA and ABS)

In addition, you can also search this forum for additional information about the use of VSA in conjunction with RT4WD in other situations.

The VSA system in my opinion is really not needed at all on the 2nd gen CR-V. It feels like it was added onto the CR-V last minute by Honda as a way to stay competitive with other brands that were all offering similar systems on their vehicles. The system is nice when a sudden emergency situation is incountered when you are driving on normal roads, but offroad, the system should be shut off. The CR-V really doesn't really put out the amount of hp/tq that would justify it needing traction control. The 4WD system doesnt allow much more than a few chirps from the tires under hard accerleration anyway. in simple terms: you have to work hard to get any wheel spin out of a CR-V on pavement.
    Now offroading is a different story. After many, many offroading experiences in my former 02 CR-V, i can tell you that it is great offroad slogging around in mud, snow, mud+snow+ ice together, and crossing a water hasard that is up to the fenders. (dont try that at home). There was no obsticle or terrain that the CR-V can't overcome with some good old heavy rigth foot driving. The CR-V works best when you use the RT-4WD system to its advantage, and the best way to get that system to turn on right away is to get some wheel spin going right from a start. Once the Rear diff is fully enguaged, offroading becomes nothing but a walk in the park. The VSA system would not allow this because it limits throttle imput, and trys to minimize wheelspin, defeating the purpose of the RT-4WD system. It is not needed offroad, and i also personally turn it off in the snow when i drive my mother's 06 CR-V.
    The CR-V is like a rally car offroad, it is the most fun and does the best when it has some constant wheelspin going, lots of heavy throttle imput, and some slight drifting around corners. Its a load of fun!! And offroading is something i miss now that i sold my CR-V to my younger brother, and bought and Acura instead.
    Here are some of my old videos of me offroading in my CR-V. Enjoy and have fun offroading in yours!
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...d-3_150983.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...und_149601.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...uts_143961.htm
    Last edited by Da_CerrrrV; 10-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Da_CerrrrV

Former CR-V owner
    My new car>

I know this is way late to the party but I'm posting this in case anyone else does the same as I did and landed here from a Google search for this information. And because nobody completely answered the original poster's question.

Specifically, turning off the VSA does NOT turn off the realtime all-wheel drive. It still functions exactly as intended, even with the VSA off. And, as has been pointed out, works better in some specific situations.

I know that's sort of implied in a couple of the excellent replies. But nobody came right out and said it.
    '04 CR-V, '07 CR-V

Vsa

Turn VSA off would be my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by drdave00 View Post
    Turn VSA off would be my opinion.
    I wish I could find a way to turn it off permanently. That's why I ended up looking through this thread. I was hoping it might have a solution.

...ken...
    '04 CR-V, '07 CR-V

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements