I Scratched My Windshield Bad!!!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Scratched My Windshield Bad!!!!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Exclamation I Scratched My Windshield Bad!!!!

Hello Everybody,

I need your help.

I tried to use a kitchen sponge (green scrub side) to get rid of water spots on my windshield, and I scrubbed as hard as i could with a little glass cleaner, and I scratched the windshield really bad right where I can see it when driving.

How much does it cost to replace the windshield?

Most importantly, is the car exactly the same after the windshield is replaced?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

~Solly:
    Last edited by sollybro; 11-28-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Edit

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Have No Experience

Sollybro, good grief, what the hell are you doing to your V? I have no experience with this but I have been told that you can get stone chips repaired before they turn into cracks. They fill the chip and then buff it down and you can't see the chip any longer. My point being if they can buff down the glass for a stone chip, one would think they could probably buff out scratches. Try an auto glass repair place and see if it can be repaired rather than replaced.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Member

Windshield

As crazy as this sounds try using tooth paste and rub it very hard into the glass(there's a mild abrasive in it) wipe it off. Look at the results and repeat. I scratched my windshield once and I was told to do this. It worked.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    give clay bar a try and see if it would get rid of the scratches.

as for the water spots, all you need is vinegar and old newspaper. pour some vinegar on your newspaper and wipe.
    clay bar also gets rid of water spots.

bottom line, treat your glass windows like how you would treat the paint on your car's body. they both scratch easily.
    2007 LX 2wd - Royal Blue Pearl

Glass Scratches

If the toothpaste trick is too slow Gradually progress from barely stronger abrasives working progressively to the mildest available.

It might not be a bad idea to try a test area on a glass bottle or better yet plate glass with the different abrasives.

In any event you may end up with optical distortion as annoying as the scratch is. That is what our local glass place told me about removing light windshield wiper scratches with abrasives. My daughter neglected to fix a refill that was moving out of place while living about 40 miles away!. A good lesson she learned as she now checks wiper blades occasionally on her new car. I ended up selling the car as is scratches and all when she bought the new one.

Have lots of patience and Good Luck! Mild abrasives work slow. It might be best to use a polishing pad from 3M for instance to avoid making grooves with your finger tips by distributing the pressure evenly? Grooves only optically visible.

Isn't the abrasive used to polish your teeth really gritty? I wonder how strong the different toothpastes are?

Let us know about what type toothpaste you use.

-RG
    Last edited by Radar24; 11-29-2008 at 08:03 PM.

$499 Total for New Windshield

$499 is the cheapest quote I got in Hawaii. This is with the new moulding, and PPG glass winshield, along with of course installation and tax.

So, total $499 out of pocket, or go through insurance with $250 deductible, and risk premium going up for my next insurancve renewal.

Does that sound right, $499?

BTW, the scratches are too deep to buff out. My nail catches the scratches, and the scratches are all over.

Thanks,

~Solly

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sollybro View Post
    $499 is the cheapest quote I got in Hawaii. This is with the new moulding, and PPG glass winshield, along with of course installation and tax.
    Go to Google and look up windshield replacement and check the results you get. There are many different glass companies and there are many different brands of windshield glass and they have to meet standards to be sold in the US. (and I'm really having a hard time believing anybody would really do such a strange thing, but that's just me)
    - 2004 S2000 New Formula Red with too many mods to list. 223 RWHP.
    - 2008 Royal Blue Pearl CR-V EX-L with more mods every day -- Remote Start, Electro-chromic Rear View Mirror, Splash Guards (fancy name for mud flaps), Chrome exhaust finisher, and more coming.

In memory of David Weber - Malvern Racing

Ever consider contacting a glass or windshield company to see if they could get out the scratches?

Sollybro, maybe your waterspots were not waterspots. Here is an article from the September 2008 Honda Service News regarding glass damage from hydroflouric acid:

Window Glass Damage From
    Hydrofluoric Acid
    Glass is pretty tough stuff and resists most forms of
    chemical damage, but it’s no match for hydrofluoric
    acid. This powerful solution—commonly used for
    industrial purposes (glass etching, metal cleaning,
    electronics manufacturing) and often found in many
    brands of wheel cleaners and chrome cleaners—can
    cause some serious damage to glass with enough
    contact.
    Brushless car washes like using hydrofluoric acid
    because it makes short work of loosening stubborn
    dirt deposits. Some car washes use it as a prewash
    then quickly follow up with a soap neutralizer. But if
    that prewash solution isn’t mixed just right, or it isn’t
    neutralized quickly enough, it can attack the glass.
    It’s also known to attack the calcium in a car wash’s
    concrete walls and floors.
    Hydrofluoric acid is not just nasty to glass and
    concrete, it’s hazardous to your health, too. In a
    strong solution, it can cause death in just a matter of
    hours. And even a weak solution—although it won’t
    burn on contact—will penetrate your skin and attack
    the calcium in your bones.
    If you get a vehicle in your shop for a window
    distortion complaint, check first for hydrofluoric acid
    damage. Images seen through window glass that’s
    been damaged by hydrofluoric acid appear wavy or
    distorted and the surface reflection looks fuzzy and
    out of focus. The surface of the glass that’s under the
    weatherstrip, though, appears undamaged and really
    smooth.
    If you find this to be the case, keep in mind any
    distortion in the glass surface isn’t covered by
    warranty. To fix this problem, you’ve got to replace
    the affected glass. Polishing out the distortion just
    won’t work. It’s almost impossible to keep both glass
    surfaces parallel as you polish, so you’ll just wind up
    with further distortion.

Sorry there is no solution to your problem in this article, but it may describe what you were trying to clean off. Good luck with your windshield.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Lightbulb Wow

Black Pearl,

Sounds exactly like my issue, however, I wonder how it got on the windshield considering I dont go through commercial car washes, and dont use acid based cleaners on the car.

BUT, the description is on the money!!!

Thanks, I now don't feel too bad considering I'd have to replace the glass anyway regardless of whether I scratched it or not.

~Solly
    Last edited by sollybro; 12-04-2008 at 05:14 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements