Shaking from the front end
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaking from the front end

crv|oc Rank: Member

Shaking from the front end

I have seen a lot of post on this matter on a few different CRV & Honda sites but there does not seem to be anyone posting about getting this sorted.

My cr-v is the 2.2 ctdi 6mt 2005 model, When i bought it i had a problem with the fuelling & thought the shake was part of the problem but since getting the fuelling sorted the shake is still there, It seems to come from through the car rather than through the steering, I get it from start very lightly but when i hit between 30 - 40 mph in 3rd gear especially going uphill the car shakes violently if i lift of the gas the shake goes away,If im going up a hill in 4th gear at 30 - 40 mph the shake is there but not as violently, If i really hit the gas in 2nd or 3rd it shakes violently on any road if its on a flat or on an incline or decline, I have taken the propshaft of with both u-joints being fine & it is still there i have changed the engine oil, oil filter, gearbox oil, flushed the diff burnished the clutch then refilled the diff, rotated the tyres & had them balanced, I have had the steering aligned & been underneath it to have a look at the driveshafts & cv joints but there does not seem to be any problems with them they seem tight & straight with no movement or tears in the boots but i have noticed that the rear driveshafts have a lump of rust on both the n/s & o/d shafts the rust is about 2 inches long and rises from the shaft by about 1/8 of an inch im not sure if this would cause the car to shake even when i have removed the propshaft.

I know a lot of people have had this problem but i was hoping that someone had managed to get it fixed with a definitive answer as to why this happens.

I am going to put it into a garage sometime soon but i would love to get it sorted on my own.

Any help or advice would be gratfully accepted..
    Last edited by darkmagi; 08-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

No One has had this problem or is it a lot of people have had it but never got it repaired, There must me a lot of shaky cr-v's running about in the world.

I am currently going through repair of the same problem. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to post a message covering the cause, remedy and parts supplier.

Shaun

Red face

My crv 2oo5 ctdi did this last year. Shaking and vibration when giving it a bit of power. It turned out to be an out of balance front drive shaft. Expensive if thats what it is!

Most likely one of the drive shafts, I had this problem on my Accord, new drive shafts fixed it!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by durace11 View Post
    Most likely one of the drive shafts, I had this problem on my Accord, new drive shafts fixed it!
    Did you replace it with an OEM or Aftermarket shaft?
    2011 Honda CR-V 2WD SE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_driver View Post
    Did you replace it with an OEM or Aftermarket shaft?
    My local garage used aftermarket shafts, I had the "shakes" between 50-60mph which got worse when accelerating hard.

The shake is completely gone after the shafts were fitted.

There is a lot about this problem on many Honda Accord Forums.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by durace11 View Post
    My local garage used aftermarket shafts, I had the "shakes" between 50-60mph which got worse when accelerating HID blue headlights.

The shake is completely gone after the shafts were fitted.

There is a lot about this problem on many Honda Accord Forums.

hope this helps.
    This actually helped me out, thanks. My car has been starting to get shaky, nothing to serious thus far. I just wanna stop the problem at the source. Thanks dude.

Ok First of all i want to thank everyone who answered my request for information about the shake from my crv, I finally got it sorted, To recap on the fault the shake was coming through the floor & seat more from the front than the back & it did not come through the steering, The shake was very heavy between 25 - 35 mph, In the end it turned out to be the inner CV joint on the offside driveshaft.

I ordered a used driveshaft rather than going down the route of a refurb or new shaft, I had hoped that if the driveshaft was the problem i could use the used shaft & if i needed to in the future send my old unit away to be refurbed, The company i used was called equicar.co.uk and are in wolverhapton in England, I found them online & they were about 100 cheaper than any other companies i found, The part i ordered arrived but after my garage took my old one off they found the used part i had been sent was from another model it was too thin, I sent it back & they sent me the proper shaft but this one had a small tear about 3mm right next to the outer clamp for the outer cv boot, This had been done when the shaft was being removed, I refilled with grease & glued the tear closed which seems to have done the trick, The shaft is now fitted & the car drives like a dream.

Anyone who has had the same fault as i have had should check the o/s UK Drivers side driveshaft, I could only feel the fault once the shaft was off & i could feel the movement in the inner cv joint.

Hope this info helps anyone else who has this problem.

Hi,
    If it's any help, this problem can manifest itself on either side inboard CV joint AND you don't necessarily have to feel any wear on the joint on or off the vehicle!
    I had a local mechanic remove my shafts to check the joints and he was quite sure that they were fine. However, since I had read all the reports on this forum and, the alternative/differential diagnosis were quite scary, i.e. prop shafts, gearbox or clutch, I decided to have the shafts stripped and examined by a refurbishing service.
    The reported heavy pitting on the inside faces of the inner CV joint on the nearside and a little also on the offside. I had both shafts reconditioned for a shade under 400 which is still a lot less than the cost of one new shaft from Honda!

Just for information

James

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements