CR-V Diesel in the USA - When? - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CR-V Diesel in the USA - When?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Diesel CR-V

I hope Honda brings the diesel version of the CR-V to the US eventually. I would have purchased a diesel CR-V in a heartbeat instead of my gasoline EX in 2008. If Acura were to release a diesel version of the MDX, that would probably be my next vehicle purchase.

The trade-off with modern diesel engines seems to be: 1) more torque; 2) longer engine life?; and 3) higher mileage; vs. price premium for the fuel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Subaru is going to try to bring the diesel for the imprezza and the forrester in 2011 I think and BMW is going to puta twin turbodiesel I-6 in the 3 series and the X5 for 2010 if I remember correctly.

A diesel engine does generally last longer, they have better tourque and are forced induction, although I bet that the diesel cars will be high-end models the first coupple of years then the engine will get distributed throught the range of lower models.
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

AoS
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Modern diesel engines don't last longer than petrol engines.

There are a lot of additional items that could fail or cause problems on a diesel (turbo, EGR, particle filtre, ...).

On top of that, the extra torque doesn't help the clutch to last.
    Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI Executive Whistler Silver 06/2009
    Ex: Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI ES Magnetic Blue 03/2005

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by electric V View Post
    Subaru is going to try to bring the diesel for the imprezza and the forrester in 2011 I think and BMW is going to puta twin turbodiesel I-6 in the 3 series and the X5 for 2010 if I remember correctly.

A diesel engine does generally last longer, they have better tourque and are forced induction, although I bet that the diesel cars will be high-end models the first coupple of years then the engine will get distributed throught the range of lower models.
    The 335d and X5 diesel are already available here in the US. 265hp and 425lb-ft of torque sounds great to me. It is a performance diesel though, and not an economy model and the mileage figures reflect that...

I've heard bad things about the flat four Subaru diesel...
    Mitch

2003 CR-V EX 4A Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
    2010 MAZDASPEED3 Liquid Silver - CP-E SRI - CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - MTEC Super White & Golden Yellow bulbs - 35% Tint coming soon - CP-E downpipe coming soon
    1990 Mazda Miata - (Track Machine) Stock, for now

AoS
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeksilver View Post
    I've heard bad things about the flat four Subaru diesel...
    Really

It's a bit noisy when it's cold and the gearbox is not very smooth but, here in Europe, it's considered as one of the best diesel engine at the moment (at least in its category 2.0 - 2.2l ).
    Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI Executive Whistler Silver 06/2009
    Ex: Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI ES Magnetic Blue 03/2005

Isn't the forrester a 2.0 liter in europe. I did hear that the transmission was a bit clunky.

I still love the Euro Accort diesel; Car and Driver got 36 city and they were driving the car as hard as they could to get bad millage and they gat 50 on the freeway (U.S. Millage)

Wink Why no diesels in North America?

My Ford work truck is a diesel and my John Deere Tractor is a diesel and our CRV would be a diesel too if we could get one. Unfortunately until America decides it's ready to go diesel in a big way it will be a cold day in July before we ever see diesel CRV's here in Canada.
    That's my opinion on the diesels. They just make sense from many points of view.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    on Subaru diesels, I'll point out that even the petrol engines we get here in the US sound like some variety of tractor, so I can only imagine how awful a boxer diesel sounds! ... and Clarkson despises it too http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3638139.ece

but that's the end of my expertise on Subaru since we don't get the diesels here in the US. Here's what else I know:

Honda WAS planning on bringing a TSX diesel here and I was psyched since I wanted that to trickle down eventually to an Accord. But when fuel prices dropped again they postponed indefinitely. There's no reason they can't - they just don't think it's worth rolling out new products that address a fuel economy issue that's gone away again, all in the middle of a recession. Personally, I still wish they would, just to establish themselves. Diesels are much more elegant engines than petrol and they appeal to my mechanical sense, and I think Honda would do a better job than peers.

Right now, your choices for diesels are limited to (on the reasonable end) a Jetta, and (on the high end) a BMW or Mercedes. And I think the BMW experiment is likely to end soon.

Engine life is probably longer than a gas engine. Lower compression & engine speeds = lasts longer. But, the lifespan isn't probably as drastically different as in the past, since modern gas engines have really improved their tolerances and there is a lot more to break on a new diesel.

Last, diesels USED to be able to be run on almost anything, hence the many biofuel conversions. That's no longer true. They're just as finicky now about fuel as a gas engine. Don't expect it to clatter along to 500k miles while you grow a hippie beard :P

Quote Originally Posted by fujisawa View Post
    Honda WAS planning on bringing a TSX diesel here and I was psyched since I wanted that to trickle down eventually to an Accord. But when fuel prices dropped again they postponed indefinitely. There's no reason they can't - they just don't think it's worth rolling out new products that address a fuel economy issue that's gone away again, all in the middle of a recession. Personally, I still wish they would, just to establish themselves. Diesels are much more elegant engines than petrol and they appeal to my mechanical sense, and I think Honda would do a better job than peers.
    They are not going to bring the TSX Diesel because the have the 2010 V6 now. It is the same 3.5 liter V6 from the TL. Now if they would only put the 3.7 liter with SHAWD

Quote Originally Posted by fujisawa View Post
    Engine life is probably longer than a gas engine. Lower compression & engine speeds = lasts longer. But, the lifespan isn't probably as drastically different as in the past, since modern gas engines have really improved their tolerances and there is a lot more to break on a new diesel.

Last, diesels USED to be able to be run on almost anything, hence the many biofuel conversions. That's no longer true. They're just as finicky now about fuel as a gas engine. Don't expect it to clatter along to 500k miles while you grow a hippie beard :P
    Just to be accurate, diesel engines have a HIGHER compression ratio then gasoline engines not lower.

This is why they tend to be heavier engines as the conrods, block etc, has to be stronger to withstand the higher forces.

Interestingly also, the higher the compression ratio the higher the theoretical engineering efficiency.

I would say it has always been true that diesels are tougher and last longer than petrol engines, but less true lately due to ultra high pressure fuel systems.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements