Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor Gas mileage 2010 EXL running AC

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  aggreX 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2010 CRV EXL....it is hot an humid in Phila. and have been using the AC. My mileage is awful 17 mpg. I've filled up with premium and have been doing suburban driving. I now have 489 miles.

Does using the AC really cut into the gas consumption that much?

Any thoughts?

#7 ·
I'm using Premium gas as well.

I agree with you mostly - but - my 2010 with 18K miles (business miles) running on premium gas gets enough additional fuel economy to more than offset the additional fuel expense. Seat of the pants feel is a bit better too - IMHO. I've run a lot of miles with both 87 and 93 octane, and, I'm sticking with 93.

Regards:
Oldengineer

#3 ·
X2 Your engine will not be completely broken in until after 5,000 miles. The little tag on the window sticker says YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY...everyone drives differently and gets different mileage.

When my wife drives the CRV (it's hers primary car) she gets aroung 24mpg combined. When I drive, (the same route) it's just over 25.5 mpg...why....different driving habits produce different results.

#5 ·
I live in Central Ohio, so the land is basically flat.
I purchased my CR-V EX L AWD at the end of January.
I have just over 7000 miles on it.
What I have found so far is...
A/C pulls the mpg down about 2 mpg
55 mph I consistently get 30+ mpg on the highway (highest is 34.48, this is acutal, not indicated)
The mpg indicator on the instrument panel reads 7-10% higher than actual
In town driving, never exceeding 35 mpg pulls the mpg down in the 19-22 mpg range. You have to get above 45 mph to see mpg gains.

#8 ·
In a previous vehicle I owned, I kept records of fuel grade and economy for five years.
What I found was this...
The lower the octane, the lower the mpg and conversely, the higher the octane the higher the mpg.
My analysis of my data showed that the the cost per mile was about the same.
To go the same number of total miles costs about the same because of the price difference between the different octane fuels.
The higher octane costs more and got more mpg requiring fewer fillups.
The lower octane lower priced fuel got lower mpg requiring more frequent fillups.
On long highway trips I use 93 octane for the higher mpg and fewer stops. For local driving I use 87 octane because of the mixed city/highway.

#9 ·
Gas Mileage

Hi,

I own a 2009 CR-V EX with just over 8,000 miles. I average 22-23 mpg in city driving, and 29-32 mpg highway. I note that when using air conditioning it drops my mileage about 2 mpg.

One interesting note - I used to routinely use 87 octane BP gasoline since that is what I had used in my prior Hondas, but while out of town one day a couple months ago, I put in Shell 87 octane gasoline. I found that I got 3 mpg more! I thought perhaps it was a fluke, but found that I got the same result when I filled up again with Shell at home. My friend who owns a 2010 Honda Ridgeline was intrigued enough to try Shell gasoline in his truck and found that his mpg increased as well. By NO means am I affiliated in ANY way with Shell Oil or its distributors! I just thought that I'd share our experiences and perhaps someone else might benefit.

#10 · (Edited)
I used 89-93 on the CRV for the past two years and experienced more pep off the line and during passing maneuvers. Engine seemed smoother with more power and less need for downshifting BUT NO increase in mpg. 87 made the CRV more sedate and the engine struggled a bit during passing maneuvers. IMO the ethanol content of the gasoline in my area probably had a major role in how the CRV performed. I would be impressed if my CRV achieved EPA highway estimates. IMO its not an economy car/gas saver but a RT4WD station wagon.

LOML was addicted to Shell 93 and she always knew when I put the "cheap stuff" in her car it to top up the tank. The local suppliers to Shell stations in my area are delivered by the SAME generic tankers as the low cost gasoline stations so the Shell superiority is still a mystery for me but I felt the difference in her car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.