2010 Honda CRV low gas mileage
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Honda CRV low gas mileage

crv|oc Rank: Member

2010 Honda CRV low gas mileage

Hello,
    I have a Honda VRV 2010 LX 4wd automatic with 6000 miles used that I bought from a dealer. I have had it for ten days or so. The gas mileage is extremely low. The mileage indicated often indicates I am using gas at rate of 16 - 18 miles per hour. On highway driving, it definitely improves to 23 mpg but still so low. I am using Ac but that shouldn't drive the mileage down that much (I think). I also noted that when I refilled the second time, my gas mileage improved to about an average of 23 mpg but now seems to be slipping again. I brought the car into the dealer to check on car but he said that the gas mileage will improve after two to three oil changes and not to expect advertised mph pf 21 to 27 until then. Said everything else was okay. The dealers explanation just doesn't make sense to me....Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Jodiedoc

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    You need to fill your tank, go drive 200 miles and then fill the tank again. Divide your miles driven by the gallons used and this will give you an accurate MPG. Don't trust the onboard gauge to tell you your useage. Different people get different mileage driving the same vehicle due to THEIR driving habits...my wife is a lead foot and gets 2-3 mpg less when driving our CRV than I do.

Try this for a couple tanks and post back...guessing about this is futile.

Super Moderator
    Oil changes are not going to have a major affect or any real affect at all on fuel mileage.

How and where you drive is that determing factor.

My 2008 and 2010 Accords were hitting 30 mpg right out of the box. My 2009 for some reason despite being the identical car to the other two was never able to hit the same mark.

Paper and pen along with a calculator are the best way tot accurately calculate mileage. The on board systems are a guideline at best.

I use something like this myself:

Fuel Consumption Calculator

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiedoc View Post
    Hello,
    ... I brought the car into the dealer to check on car but he said that the gas mileage will improve after two to three oil changes and not to expect advertised mph pf 21 to 27 until then. ...
    I agree that just changing oil won't have a great affect on mileage. My interpretation of this statement is that after a time period for 2-3 oil changes [approx 15K-20K depending on MM], the engine should be "broken in" to where you'll start seeing your best mileage.

Again, the greatest factor regarding mileage is the person operating the vehicle. Next factor is the operating conditions - highway vs city, flat land vs hills, etc. On our extended driving vacations, I've notices at least a 20% drop in mileage from county road driving vs. city driving: 29 to 23.

mileage

I bought a new CRV in April and have 20k on it now as I travel a lot for business. Getting between 25 and 30 mpg. Running valvoline synthetic 5-20 oil, K&N oil and air filters. Finding that 89 octane is a better gas to run than 87. Improves by 2-3 mpg so it is a savings overall even after paying 5-10 cents more at the pump.
    Still not sure why this vehicle doesnt get better than 30 but based on what I am hearing from other people I should be happy to stay close to 30. I am also suspect of some gas, if you are suddenly seeing a big drop it could be poor quality gas.
    Any other tips on how to improve mpg I would appreciate hearing from you
    dan

Crv mpg

Now that you're through the break-in period of ~ 15000 miles there is no other reason. You will not get on average mileage on the 4wd version that is better than 26-30 mpg on the highway.

In general after 8 years/80K miles my CRV mileage is a function of % city driving and outdoor temperature:

CRV mileage = 24.15 + 0.043 x (Outside Temp, F) - 0.079 x (% City Driving)

Ed

Octane of Gas didn't help on my 2002 CRV

I only saw a help of +1 mpg when I used 89 vs. 87 RON. Here's the plot of eight years of data for MPG vs. RON (octane number).

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dank591 View Post
    I bought a new CRV in April and have 20k on it now as I travel a lot for business. Getting between 25 and 30 mpg. Running valvoline synthetic 5-20 oil, K&N oil and air filters. Finding that 89 octane is a better gas to run than 87. Improves by 2-3 mpg so it is a savings overall even after paying 5-10 cents more at the pump.
    Still not sure why this vehicle doesnt get better than 30 but based on what I am hearing from other people I should be happy to stay close to 30. I am also suspect of some gas, if you are suddenly seeing a big drop it could be poor quality gas.
    Any other tips on how to improve mpg I would appreciate hearing from you
    dan
    I too am driving a 2010 CRV for business. I have 30K on mine now. Its a 2WD and I'm running only premium gas. I keep my tires inflated to 35 PSI as well. I typically run 70 - 75 on the hilly insterstates where I live, and, the CRV's mileage typically runs 30 - 32.5 MPG. I too have run into stations selling 87 octane gas as premium because my gas mileage drops to 24-25 mpg, and, her performance gets a bit soggy. I'm running Mobil 1 0W-20, Purolator oil filters, and a stock air filter. The earlier CRV's won't respond much, if at all, to higher octane gas because they have lower compression ratios.

Regards:
    Oldengineer

Appears I got a little hasty and posted the following in the wrong thread:

"I just bought my 2010 Honda CRV with 1500 miles on it. First tank of gas I didn't keep track of the mileage but am now tracking every single fill-up. Second tank (city driving but majority on the highway) = 20mpg. Third tank (mostly highway/rural driving) = 22.4mpg. I watch the Avg Mileage per Gallon closely and drive rather conservatively (accelerating slowly from a stop, driving the speed limit, using cruise regularly, etc). I thought I'd get better gas mileage. Does it seem normal? Thoughts welcome. "

With each tank - I fill it up and then drive til there's an 1/8 tank left then fill up again. I've been using an Excel spreadsheet to calculate the actual mpg.

Sounds like my CRV may need time to work up to better gas mileage... Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Use Fuelly http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/ to calculate and keep tabs on your MPG. Currently our V is at 25.3 with 9 fill ups, the RL after 50 fill ups is at 17.4. MPG is not a great Honda priority; horsepower, weight, size, etc contribute to declining MPG. I have had many 4 cyl Hondas and experienced excellent mileage through 2005. It has all been downhill since. When you consider my 1st Accord was about 80 HP and the last 2008 was 190 HP, I think that explains the decline!!
    25 Year Honda Owner
    My Other Ride Is A Ridgeline

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements