2012 - Nearly 2 gallon difference between fuel tank size and range left shown?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 - Nearly 2 gallon difference between fuel tank size and range left shown?

cff
    crv|oc Rank: Member

2012 - Nearly 2 gallon difference between fuel tank size and range left shown?

Anyone else seeing the low fuel indicator / range left showing zero (or very close to it), but then are only able to fill up with about 13.5 gallons (maybe 14 max)?

This happens to me every time.

As the fuel tank is rated at 15.2 gallons, this seems odd to me. I can understand there may be a bit more fuel left when the range indicator shows zero, but I'd expect less than a gallon, and certainly less the nearly two gallon difference I am seeing.

In my previous vehicles (both Hondas and Acuras with the same indicators), the difference was under 10 miles when the range was at zero.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I believe that the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank is not calibrated in most cars. Just the luck of the draw as to how close yours is.

I've owned many cars and I'm not surprised. All fuel gauges seem to be overly-pessimistic, which is better than the reverse. YMMV. I added a resistor in the fuel gauge circuit on my current motorcycle to address the same problem.
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2006 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2004 Mazda3 Sport 2.3
    2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Don't waste time reading my motorcycling blog Tilted Horizons!

I think I read somewhere that the Fuel light comes on when there is a 2 Gal reserve left in the Tank. So Empty means that you really need to think about getting some gas pretty soon. I never let my tank go that low anyway especially in the Colder Climate.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I experienced the exact same thing. Quite annoying since it really reduces the range - what's the point of having a 15 gallon tank if it says it's empty at 13? Anyway, I let the computer go down to zero, kept driving for 20km more and was still nowhere close to empty. Is this something that a dealership could address?

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements