Reduced mileage from a roof rack
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduced mileage from a roof rack

crv|oc Rank: Member

Reduced mileage from a roof rack

So, I added a Thule roof rack to my new (jan 09) CRV within weeks of buying it.
    And quickly realized the wind noise would drive me crazy, so I dug up the Thule wind ferring I had from an older Thule rack I owned. And voila most of the noise was gone. But my gas mileage never went above 23, with a fair amount of highway driving. So this w/e, I removed it after I realized I can reinstall in about 20 minutes..now that I know what I am doing. And voila, my mileage for the first 100+ miles is now about 25.2 mpg, with no changes in
    driving habit or type of traffic.

Is that decrease in mileage with a roof rack or maybe it was really the wind ferring, normal?

What do you think the most to the mpg reduction. The rack or the wind blocker.

Thanks,

Arnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

its normal

yes i believe roof racks decrease your mpg because they add more resistance to the shape of the car.. the more resistance, the more the engine must work to beat that resistance, ie gas you must use

good idea about removing for when you don't need it

hope this helped

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    thats the reason people put covers over the beds of their trucks, the rack will add resistance, but the wind ferring will reduce that drag, but not enough. if you like the rack, and its too hard to remove and replace when needed, just grin and bear it, sorry i cant help anymore
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Car and Driver did the same test and there results were...

With cross bars and cargo carrier

gas milage dropped 1.9% at 35 MPH, 5.6% at 55 MPH, and 5.8% at 75 MPH

With the cross bars only

gas millage dropped 1.6% at 35 MPH, 3.7% at 55 MPH, and 4.3% at 75 MPH
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    Make sure you have the little trim plugs if you do pull the carrier off, There's 4 little plates that cover the screw holes to keep water out of them, and I wanted to do the same thing - take it off- but need those 4 plates, which I don't have so I need to go get them from Honda.

a few months ago, car and driver had an article on various things on a car that would reduce MPG, you should look it up and its really informative and surprising what their results were.

I am interested in getting a roof rack for my V, however I am debating if I should install one or not. Is it true that roof racks make an abundance of noises? Is it also true that MPG is affected when you have them? Anyone here with the factory roof rack notice the difference? Hmmm...
    2008 Honda CRV EX-L
    Nighthawk Black Pearl

thule

I installed the Thule Areo bars that are the oval aloy ones... they make no noise.. you have to trim the rubber strip to the perfect length so the little tab on end caps can close completely..

I got 28.9 mpg on the first tank.. 40-60, lights, stop signs..

on the highway I'll have a kayak on top so it doesn't matter..

BTW.. on my last hatch back I installed my own tracks and the Thule bars and feet detached with a push of a button..

the factory bars look good, are thinner and less expensive than Thule Areo set up..

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I'm sort of a test case, I guess. I have 2 '01's; one with Honda rack and cross bars, the other bare naked. There is essentially no difference in noise or mpg.
    And I've driven each myself > 50K miles. If there is an mpg difference, its less than 1 mpg, which is within the range of difference from how much gas goes in before the pump shuts off.

I cannot tell the difference between the two from behind the wheel in terms of noise, either. The tire brands made a much bigger difference, but that's tire noise at speed which all CRV drivers are familiar with.

In terms of utility, I've used the roof rack from time to time and was glad I had it. But since car #3 is a Pilot with rack, that's the one that gets the "heavy lifting" jobs most often.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Hmmm well I've never done a roof setup on my V, but on my previous car (ford focus zx3) the roof rack really hurt mileage. I had saris crossbars and trays. The bars made a whistling between 20-35mph and reduced mileage about 5%. When I put two mountain bikes up there, mileage would drop at least 15%, sometimes more.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements