Reseating Oil Dipstick Tube in Engine Block
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reseating Oil Dipstick Tube in Engine Block

crv|oc Rank: Senior

Reseating Oil Dipstick Tube in Engine Block

2000CRV Automatic
    What is the recommended method.
    The tube came out with the dipstick and it is very difficult to reinsert without removing the exhaust manifold heatshield.
    I've done it several times and haven't removed the heat shield yet (sometimes it took almost 1/2 hr of trying).
    I am planning on taking that heatshield off to do it properly, but what is the best way to reseat that dipstick tube so that if doesn't come loose again?
    Should I clean out the tube hole in the block with a little brake cleaner or ? so that the tube may seat better? Perhaps put on a gasket maker type compound, use a glue like JB Weld, or ????
    Thanks,
    Buffalo
    Whoops, I just did a search on this problem (should've done it first) and found a few solutions. Anyone have other ideas or experience with this problem?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 05-08-2010 at 04:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    NO! DONT USE BRAKE FLUID! It will get into your oil and damage the engine, Brake Fluid is not a lubricant. JB Weld is good for this purpose, It is a bit of an odd problem though, If you have access to welding equipment, it would be a good idea to remove that heat-shield and weld the tube back on.. It looks like it was welded on originally but the bead broke when you pulled the dipstick out because of that cork thing..

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks Timmah98CRV,
    I was just going to use a splash of brake cleaner to clean the surface so that a glue like JB-Weld could grip better ( I imagine it would evaporate pretty rapidally afterwards). It doesn't appear that the holder was welded in at all, but just press-fitted. Not much room to work in that area, even with the heat shield removed.
    I did try to seat it by tapping a long screwdriver with a hammer on the holder flange, but the access is pretty limited with only the heatshield removed.
    Perhaps I can try the freezer method whereby the holder is put in the freezer, the engine is warmed up and then take the holder from the freezer and run to the car and try to put it in the hole.

Any other ideas out there to make the dipstick holder tube stay in the hole?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo4 View Post
    Thanks Timmah98CRV,
    I was just going to use a splash of brake cleaner to clean the surface so that a glue like JB-Weld could grip better ( I imagine it would evaporate pretty rapidally afterwards). It doesn't appear that the holder was welded in at all, but just press-fitted. Not much room to work in that area, even with the heat shield removed.
    I did try to seat it by tapping a long screwdriver with a hammer on the holder flange, but the access is pretty limited with only the heatshield removed.
    Perhaps I can try the freezer method whereby the holder is put in the freezer, the engine is warmed up and then take the holder from the freezer and run to the car and try to put it in the hole.

Any other ideas out there to make the dipstick holder tube stay in the hole?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo4
    Put it in a vise and very slightly compress it so it is oval where it seats. This will give it better holding pressure. Don't over do it and make sure you don't distort the tip where it begins to slip in. If you have a bolt that fits in the end snug that helps. Brake or electric aerosol parts cleaner should be OK. Try not to get any in the engine. You could use a dab of silicone to seal so it doesn't leak or the epoxy (JB Weld) if you must.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    yeah they're press-fit in there. I would do this (right before and oil change): Remove the dipstick tube and spray down in the hole with brake parts cleaner, yes into the oil pan. Then spray the dipstick tube down with the brake parts cleaner as well. Drain your oil. Put a liberal amount of Grey RTV sillicone on the dipstick tube and put it in the hole and give it some time to dry before you re-fill the crank case with oil. Another thing you could do is grease the o-rings up top so it won't put so much stress on it pulling it out.

You could substitute the RTV with JB Weld, without issue and it would probably work better, I just don't like doing things permanant like that.

Good luck.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements