How to change transmission fluid on a 2012 Honda CR-V - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change transmission fluid on a 2012 Honda CR-V

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    I have the same year CRV and changed mine last year. It was the easiest transmission fluid change I have ever done. Make sure to replace the crush washer. Torque on the drain plug is 36 ft. lbs. I used 3 and a partial quarts. I have an AWD version.

There is a trap door looking thing down where the front slopes to the underside of the car. It has two screws identical to the ones that cover the oil filter under neath. The drain plug is under that door.

My instructions say 2.3 quarts on a 2wd and 2.7 on an awd. I would suggest picking up one extra quart. I had to shag another quart, as 3 wasn't enough when I did mine. I must of drained more than what typically comes out.

Make sure vehicle is on level ground. Instructions say to add new fluid to where it will read between the two marks on the dipstick. Reinstall dipstick making sure notch is aligned properly with tube. There is a notch on the dipstick. Start the engine and hold the engine speed at 3k rpm without load in park or neutral until the radiator fan comes on. Turn the car off and check the level. Don't overfill.
    So, I'm going to do my transmission fluid this weekend. I have a 2wd, so I was only planning on buying 3 quarts since the owners manual says it takes 2.3....do you think I should buy a fourth quart since your AWD took so much more?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)
    2014 Civic LX Sedan (mine)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie05 View Post
    So, I'm going to do my transmission fluid this weekend. I have a 2wd, so I was only planning on buying 3 quarts since the owners manual says it takes 2.3....do you think I should buy a fourth quart since your AWD took so much more?
    I would. Better to have too much than not enough on hand. I used about a third of the fourth quart.
    Last edited by DIY Guy; 05-15-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    I would. Better to have too much than not enough on hand. I used about a third of the fourth quart.
    Yea, you're definitely right about that. I'll just buy the fourth quart as a "just in case".
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    note to cvt owners: from what i have read...
    the main reason for cvt failure is dirt in the system.

dirt gets in when shops are careless and rush to get the job done.
    a single grain of sand can scar your system and cause failure

It is imperitve that you take extra care to keep your system dirt free when changing fluids

Thanks (Received)
    I just did mine this morning at exactly 37,000 on the clock on my 2013. It was my first change and no code ever came. I have a 2wd and put exactly 3 quarts. Its a little above the full mark on the hot reading (I honestly never saw a cold reading spot). I drove it around for awhile and it's shifting a lot smoother than it was. When I drained the fluid it was dirty, so it looks like I'm going to start changing the fluid at 30K intervals. Dealer wanted $179.99 before tax, I bought 4 quarts and a crush washer for $47.88...I'll chock that up as a win!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12