Leaking oil filter
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking oil filter

Thanks (Received)

Leaking oil filter

This is the 3rd time I've replaced the oil filter on my 3rd gen CR-V, and two of these three times, the filter has dripped. Last time, I had to tighten it down a little more to get it to stop. This time, nothing is working. I did our other 3rd gen the same night last week and it's leak-free. And who knows how many other oil filters I've done in the past with no issues whatsoever. There was no old gasket stuck on the engine, but I'm thinking I will have to get out the brighter lights and glasses to get a much closer look at the mounting surface this time. As it stands, I'm going to buy another new filter today, going back to Mobil 1 I used for many years (this is the Fram XG on there now, with barely 100 miles on it, although I had the same filter last time).

Just curious if there might be a common issue with these 3rd gen engines, or just a fluke on my particular CR-V.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    How bad is it leaking? Could it just be residual oil from when you did the oil change? Maybe you didn’t wipe everything up. Just a thought....

2013 CRV EX (wife's)
    2014 Civic LX Sedan (mine)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)

Thanks (Received)
    If it is perpetually leaking like that, I would suggest inspecting the mating surface for the gasket the next time you change it. There may be some trash stuck to it or be damaged.
    -Brent

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    2006 Honda CR-V EX 6 Speed Manual 4WD
    2000 Honda CR-V EX 4 Speed Automatic 4WD

5. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDub View Post
    If it is perpetually leaking like that, I would suggest inspecting the mating surface for the gasket the next time you change it. There may be some trash stuck to it or be damaged.
    I bought another filter and extra oil today--once it stops raining, I'm going to take the Fram off, and get out the bright light so I can see what's on that surface. That is all I can think of myself. As dumb as it sounds, depending on what's wrong (such as a damaged oil filter base), I may have to use some Hondabond on the filter gasket until I get back home from the road trip in case I need to replace anything. Worst case, I can replace the oil filter base, p/n 15310-RZA-000, for $60-ish.

@Coastie05 it's dripping enough to leave small spots on the driveway for the past week.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I am using the Purolator or Honda filters on my 08 CRV. I have not experienced the leaking around the seal area and the filter. Any chance you are in to a batch of filters where the seal has some sort of imperfection in it?
    2019 Ridgeline
    2016 Accord EXL
    2015 Kubota B3200
    2014 Outback
    2008 CRV EXL

Thanks (Received)
    I can't recall if my first oil change was a Mobil 1 or Fram, so it could have been two different brands. The last two were Fram, but I don't recall the last one leaking either.

Given how many oil changes I've done just in my '97 (close to 40?) without a leak, not to mention numerous other cars over the years, you'd think I would have this figured out by now.

It's going be a rough day to pull the filter though. It's windy, so all that oil that dumps out when I drop the filter will probably blow around. I keep a couple dozen thick squares of cardboard in the garage to keep the the driveway clean, but it still makes the mess worse during cleanup.

Heading out now to mess with it.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I order Honda oil filters off Amazon - six for $40 ($6.67 each) and free shipping with Prime. Figure if Honda makes them they must be good. Never had a problem with them in my 2002 or my 2014 CRV.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I remember reading (possibly on another site) that the rubber ring on the filter can sometimes get "stuck" to the engine block, so that when you install a new filter it won't seal correctly.

So after removing the old filter inspect the mounting location to make sure it's clean.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    I remember reading (possibly on another site) that the rubber ring on the filter can sometimes get "stuck" to the engine block, so that when you install a new filter it won't seal correctly.

So after removing the old filter inspect the mounting location to make sure it's clean.
    +1 I think I saw this on Scotty Kilmet youtube channel

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilliland
    .. if Honda makes them they must be good. ...
    Honda does not make oil filters. Branding and Licensing does not constitute manufacturing.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast