Most common issues with Gen 3 CRV due to normal wear and tear? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most common issues with Gen 3 CRV due to normal wear and tear?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon View Post
    2010 CR-V built in Swindon, UK:
    My dealer workshop said that the risk of stuck rear brakes, wellknown for Gen 2, also exists on Gen 3. Risk increases with too little use of rear brakes, i.e., too little heavy breaking.

The major sign of stuck brakes is hot wheels.
    What's a good fix for this? I assume just replacing the rear calipers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    The replacement covers I got off eBay are made of heavier, nicer leather, and are designed to be installed over the old covers without removal, which should give more padding. I haven't done it yet, so I can't report, but I've read some reports that said it was better. Personally I hate the flip down armrests, and I also hate the worthless center console, so I am working on a plan to choose a center console from another vehicle and adapt it to fit. Right now I'm looking at the Acura ones, which have a nice large and wide single padded center armrest and no seat mounted ones. I much prefer that type of center armrest. I will do a thread on it when I do it in the Spring. Meanwhile I have a lot of measuring to do.
    Gotcha, I have the fabric ones. They aren't terrible, but I want to redo the cushioning in it, was thinking of re-purposing some extra mass loaded vinyl scraps from my sound isolation project.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon View Post
    2010 CR-V built in Swindon, UK:
    My dealer workshop said that the risk of stuck rear brakes, wellknown for Gen 2, also exists on Gen 3. Risk increases with too little use of rear brakes, i.e., too little heavy breaking.

The major sign of stuck brakes is hot wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzianAssassin View Post
    What's a good fix for this? I assume just replacing the rear calipers?
    I think that only dismantling and greasing of rear brakes was done at the dealer, no new calipers unless the excessive heat has caused permanent damage.
    2010 CR-V / urban titanium metallic / 2.0 L petrol engine / manual gearbox

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I found replacements on Amazon for both the seat attached armrest and the door armrest. The seat one slides over and fits snugly. The door armrest will require me to remove the door card (four screws) and disconnect the power door locks, mirror control. After that there are a whole bunch of screws that come out to remove the armrest. Did some investigation when I had the door torn apart to replace the lock actuator a few months back. Waiting on spring break when my son brings the V home from school. I'll do a writeup and post it here of the process.
    2019 Ridgeline
    2016 Accord EXL
    2015 Kubota B3200
    2014 Outback
    2008 CRV EXL

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    You will also need to check and see if the piston can be pushed back in to the caliper. I could not do it on mine so the assembly needed replaced. Make sure you check your rotor for wear as well. If badly scored or you can't get them turned and leave enough meat on them you will need to replace rotors on both sides. If you are having pistons sieze up, you should probably do a brake fluid flush as well.
    2019 Ridgeline
    2016 Accord EXL
    2015 Kubota B3200
    2014 Outback
    2008 CRV EXL

Thanks (Received)
    hi, anyone has any experience with malaysian built g3 crv here?

Thanks (Received)
    We have two '09s, and am finding common problems on both.

A/C compressor WILL go bad. Both of ours did within nine months of each other, at about the same mileage. Usually it's the clutch, but I had the entire compressors replaced with remanufactured Honda units by the dealer, so something else doesn't go bad.

Just did a starter in the blue CR-V. Mine I'm going to do once the weather warms up--it has always turned over more slowly than the blue, and when it was near zero, it barely cranked at all. Battery's fine.

@canyon and @spotpup mention the rear brakes. Yep! Both of ours have failed. Mine had the left rear seize up on a weekend road trip while driving, making a weird howling noise. Wheel was almost hot. Ended up replacing the brake pads and the hardware. The blue CR-V was making an odd humming from, yep, the left rear. Turns out one of the boots on the caliper got ripped somehow (effing Michigan roads ), and I'm out in the driveway in 18 degree weather, unseizing the pin, replacing with a new one and a new boot, all while snow is falling on me.

The front armrests are sh*t. My driver's side was somehow repaired rather nicely, now the passenger's side is puckering. In the blue CR-V, the fronts were very poorly repaired; I'm having to replace those so it doesn't look like a junker. (Aftermarket replacements are available--I just hope the colors match.)

Struts in both. Within a week of each other. All I could find were the better Monroe QuickStruts. Rides nice but that damn hardware is starting to make noise already.

Two door lock actuators in the blue CR-V have failed. Replaced one (driver's front), bought a passenger front actuator but it turns out the rear passenger actuator was the other noisy one, so I have that to fix.

Belt tensioner in mine is noisy.

Valves in mine are noisier after valve lash adjustment, triple-checked after each adjustment I might add. (I've done this before.) The blue CR-V is nice and quiet.

Oil level in mine rarely drops at all--I've never had to add any between oil changes. The blue CR-V uses a little more, but only one minor touch-up between oil changes is needed. Rear dual pump fluid has been changed in mine, but not in the blue yet.

Had to replace that evap solenoid to get rid of the gas cap error message on the dash. Got a spare for the blue CR-V when that one craps out. Which it will.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

10. Thankscanyon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    My 2010 has 170,000km and changed the tie rod ends on front end. Ball joints may be worn slightly.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12