2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage

Thanks (Received)
    Hi there tstruna,

I have a 2007 EX-L 2 wheel drive with 121,000 miles and I get 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. When I filled up yesterday the range had 411 mpg but that is because of highway driving. I drive once a week out of town approximately 200 miles on the highway. I also use cruise control on the highway and stay at a steady clip. And I do not accelerate, I gently move about. I use regular gasoline and have all current maintenance up to date. I get about 19 to 20 mpg in the city. One of the things I am doing is changing my oil at 3,000 miles because my many years mechanic and vehicle wise part mechanic part engineer brother recommended it. So, I am not going by maintenance minder for the oil change.

Also, living in Texas it is also recommended that the oil be changed because of the intense heat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tstruna30 View Post
    UPDATE:

I took a 1,800-mile trip and calculated my MPG. It was almost all highway driving and some mountain and backroad driving. My MPG for that trip was 21.5 MPG.
    Sound about right to you guys?

I also replaced my air filter, sparkplugs, and am trying to use some fuel system cleaner right now.
    Seems low. How many adults in the car? Was it loaded with baggage? How fast were you driving on the highway?
    The sweet spot for decent MPG seems to be around 65. 70 and above seems to really decrease MPG.
    Make sure you reset the trip odo before starting, then the MPG on the dash will be more accurate.

Thanks (Received)
    In my experience, gas mileage in my '09 seems to go down gradually the faster I go, but once I get above 80 MPH, it's like the mileage was reaching a tipping point and I would get worse mileage rather quickly. In Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc., the speed limit is 80, and most drivers are going 85-90 in my experience. I was lucky to get 21 MPG, and it could have been less--it might have even been 19 MPG. I will be taking the same I-90 route this year and I may actually keep a logbook of the fill-ups.

Yet the quality of gasoline made a big difference for me. I had two tankfuls on identical drives, on relatively flat Interstate highways (wasn't to the mountains yet). The difference in MPG between tankfuls was (I believe) over 6 MPG. One was the nearly the best mileage I ever had; the other was in comparison shockingly low. The "dinosaur gas" (Sinclair) always seemed to treat me well. The poorer mileage was after I filled up at a Cenex station.

Reset the trip odometer at each fill-up, and that MPG indicator will usually be within 1 MPG (either way) of being correct for that tankful. I found that to be true on the trips I'd taken where I calculated MPG with each fill-up.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    For a fairly aggressive driver (I'm one too) I'd say that's a fair average for city driving, but on a long highway trip I would have expected more, unless you were running 90 mph. I won't know until I take a trip this summer how mine will do, but I'm expecting around 26+. Of course, here our rural highway speeds are 70-75+ so cruising is probably faster than where you are.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by spotpup View Post
    I have never had the valves adjusted and we are a bit over 187K. 2008 EXL AWD
    You could be burning your valves if too tight. Valve adjustment should be done on these engines at or before 100k miles.

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-ra...ealership-scam
    Last edited by crveee; 03-27-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    I adjusted the valves on my '09 and now it's noisy as heck. Can't stand the clattering. And the mileage hasn't changed one bit. Our other '09 is nice and quiet and actually has gotten better mileage. I've done valves before, so this isn't my first rodeo. I just hate to think if I adjust the other one, it's also going to make a racket.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    If their noisy they are too loose. Have to loose a lot of clearance to risk burning valves. Almost sounds as if you didn't have the cams in the right place when you adjusted them. Or just set them too loose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    I've done it plenty of times on other Honda engines. The '97 needed them on the loose side of the spec, so that one was a bit noisy when I was done. I did have a few valves "tapping" prior to my adjustment on the '09 and that is gone, but this is an overall sound similar to the '97 (and I did not adjust the '09 on the upper end of the spec).

Thanks (Received)
    Oh thought you were referring to gen 2 on up. Ya your right, gen 1 needed it like all those older engines otherwise you were adjusting them every few months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I've done it plenty of times on other Honda engines. The '97 needed them on the loose side of the spec, so that one was a bit noisy when I was done. I did have a few valves "tapping" prior to my adjustment on the '09 and that is gone, but this is an overall sound similar to the '97 (and I did not adjust the '09 on the upper end of the spec).
    If you adjust them to the upper end of the spec window, they will be very noisy ( i have done this). Adjusting them to the middle of the spec window makes the perfect honda sewing machine sound.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast