2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    One part that I have noticed was not mentioned was an O2 sensor. You dont need a code to replace it. That sensor can also affect your cars MPG as well because it will determine to enrich or lean out your fuel mixture.
    2010 Honda CR-V EX-L- the daily beast
    2010 Lexus GX 460 - the off roader
    2015 Honda Odyessy Elite - the wifey's
    2001 Triumph Tiger 955i - my 2 wheeled adventure

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Myself and another adult were on the trip. Our weights are about 330 lbs combined, as well as about 150 lbs of cargo. I was going 80mph on cruise almost the entire time (I know, I drive fast...).
    Last edited by tstruna30; 04-05-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tstruna30 View Post
    Myself and another adult were on the trip. Our weights are about 330 lbs combined, as well as about 150 lbs of cargo. I was going 80mph on cruise almost the entire time (I know, I drive fast...).
    You just answered your entire question/issue. 80mph down the highway. These are SUVs with 4cyl engines, they do not get good MPG at those speeds especially if there is any form of headwind and if the road isn't flat. These weren't design around the high speed limits we have these days where you can do 80 down the interstate regularly.

Want to drive like that and still get decent mileage, get an accord or Odyssey (our Odyssey gets better mileage on the highway loaded with the kids and crap for the weekend at 80+ then my CRV at 70 with just me and the wife)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I've found little difference in my '09 between 70 and 80 MPH. But once I go past 80, it drops noticeably. I have found that the quality of the gas makes a bigger difference than speed on my long trips. I mentioned my two nearly identical stretches last year, the only difference being the brand of gas, and losing a few MPG because of it. I thought it was interesting how the gas mileage indicator was predicting the mileage only after maybe 10-15 miles past a fill-up, and sure enough, after 300+ miles my next calculated MPG figure would be very close (within 1 MPG either way) provided I stayed on the Interstate. I still remember that fill-up at a CENEX station when the MPG reading was showing around 21 MPG very shortly after fill-up, and it did not change much for over 300 miles of relatively flat pavement--my calculations at the next fill-up showed I indeed got lousy mileage from that tankful. I normally settle in around 25-26 MPG.

Most of the time I'm using 87 octane. In the mountains, they offer 85 octane and I usually get a mid-grade or premium instead. I tried a couple tankfuls of 93 octane but it made no difference that I could see. I think the highest I've ever gotten is near 27 MPG. I either drive +5 over the speed limit, or keep up with traffic (which could be higher), so I'm not complaining about the mileage.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    With a city rating of 20 plus a traffic light nascar racing style and perhaps constantly doing cold starts on cold weather and short trips, and high speed limited interstate usage, plus who knows what quality of maintenance by the prior owner. It's sounding and more like you are getting reasonable mpg.

Thanks (Received)
    I average somewhere in the 19 MPG range in winters (which essentially is anything from October to late April here), as I rarely use the freeway and much of it is just local driving. I'll pick up a few MPG if I drive a couple hours on the freeway on a particular tankful, but usually no more than 21 MPG. I am heading to Chicago this coming Thursday which is most of a tankful, so I will see what that relates to in mileage.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    So I am traveling around town (commuting) and I have a 27 miles each way commute and its stop and go with lights and traffic. Some stand still, and some not. But in these conditions I average around 22.3-5mpg. When I get on the highway it was up in the 27-28 mpg. I seem to be getting about the sticker mpg with a 106K on it and 9 years of wear.
    2010 Honda CR-V EX-L- the daily beast
    2010 Lexus GX 460 - the off roader
    2015 Honda Odyessy Elite - the wifey's
    2001 Triumph Tiger 955i - my 2 wheeled adventure

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123