2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2008 CR-V Bad Gas Mileage

I purchased a used 2008 CR-V EX-L 4WD back in October. So far I love the car a lot, but the gas mileage, not so much...

When I purchased the car, the dash read 17.5 mpg. And the previous owner did a fair share of city driving, so I figured it would get bumped up after driving it a while.
    Currently, I do about 50/50 city highway, with the occasional 120-mile highway trip at least once a month.

After 3000 miles put on by me, and driving it daily, the current dash reading is 18.5mpg.
    I am not thrilled about this, as I have seen people averaging in the low 20's.
    Everything (that I am aware of) is solid on the vehicle and the conditions should provide for optimal mpg's. (good tire pressure, no roof rack, etc.)
    The vehicle currently has 96,000 miles on it.

I am wondering why my mpg is so low, and how I can improve.
    I feel like I am always filling up, and I am spending a lot of money on gas.

While all this info is based off the dash reading, I plan to actually start recording and monitoring the real mpg here to see an accurate reading (I will update it when I have my calculations).

Also, fair warning, I tend to be a pretty aggressive driver...

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Your driving style may be the culprit. (Don't worry, self-admittance is the first step towards the cure!)

My wife (who is not an aggressive driver by any means) gets about 10% less MPG than I do when I drive her minivan.

++++++++++

See what type of gas mileage you get on those 120 mile trips:

1. Fill up on the way out of your town. Note miles.

2. Do the trip...and fill up again before stopping for the day. Note miles again, and gas used.

Divide miles travel;led by gallons used. Report back here.

+++++++++

If you are in the USA, remember: Summer Gasoline is coming (which provides 6 - 9 % better MPG). Where are you?
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Thanks (Received)
    You never told us if you reset the dash (if that’s how you choose to monitor your mpg).. if you didn’t, then you’re driving is competing against their average and depending on how many miles they put on their car it will take a lot of mileage under your ownership to make that average any better.. if you haven’t reset it, do it and then drive it to monitor YOUR average mpg..

FWIW I own a 2009 and I’m averaging 24.2 doing about 60/40 hwy/city driving

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DASH. It is not fully accurate as it simple averages the fuel mileage of the entire amount of driving.

If you drive hard or spend a lot of time idling you will sacrifice large amounts of fuel mileage quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Two things that can affect your gas mileage:

1. Check your air filter, replace if dirty.

2. Your fuel injectors may be dirty. Using cheap gas without good cleaning additives usually leads to this.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I just recently got my '07, and, being retired now, don't do all that much driving, so I've only gotten a glimpse so far. But I think I am getting a consistent 20-22 around town, and I am a leadfoot. But, it's all in what you compare it to, too. My F250 gets 10 mpg, so I am very happy with the car. Very. See what you come up with by just hand recording your fuel costs and mileage. I suspect it's probably better than what the dash is showing. Let us know.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    A lot of things can affect MPG. Winter weather, temperature, dirty air filter, etc. One thing I've been told is if MPG takes a sudden drop have the valve lash checked. Mine has dropped from around 22 to around 18.5. Car goes in for service in the next month so I'll have the valve checked and adjusted if needed. Valves have never been adjusted in 133,000 miles. Hopefully they're not too far out of spec.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    A lot of things can affect MPG. Winter weather, temperature, dirty air filter, etc. One thing I've been told is if MPG takes a sudden drop have the valve lash checked. Mine has dropped from around 22 to around 18.5. Car goes in for service in the next month so I'll have the valve checked and adjusted if needed. Valves have never been adjusted in 133,000 miles. Hopefully they're not too far out of spec.
    All this - filter, valve lash & fuel system health.

Plus: something to consider, these tanks are not that big and in general mileage is not that great. Will exagerate this by buying gas more frequently. Really, it's not that bad and the actual amount in tank when light goes on is significant. Measure it...

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Have you looked to see that you do not have a rear brake caliper hanging up? I had a similar issue with our 08 CRV where the MPG's dropped slowly and the car just seemed to get sluggish over time. Turned out that I had one of my rear caliper pistons freeze up which was putting drag on the drivetrain. Replaced the rear caliper, pads and rotors on both sides, changed the brake fluid and it is back to getting 24 around town and 28-29 on the highway.

I have never had the valves adjusted and we are a bit over 187K. 2008 EXL AWD
    2019 Ridgeline
    2016 Accord EXL
    2015 Kubota B3200
    2014 Outback
    2008 CRV EXL

Thanks (Received)
    UPDATE:

I took a 1,800-mile trip and calculated my MPG. It was almost all highway driving and some mountain and backroad driving. My MPG for that trip was 21.5 MPG.
    Sound about right to you guys?

I also replaced my air filter, sparkplugs, and am trying to use some fuel system cleaner right now.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast