New CR-V owner seeking transmission advice - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CR-V owner seeking transmission advice

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by fnjeep314 View Post
    replacing 1/3 of the trans fluid every 20K miles, so depending on how you drive, about once a year or year and a half.
    Probably more often than you need to. ( I followed Honda's recommendations for our 99 Acura and it was flawless over 185K miles, and that was in the days of Z-1)
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I am doing our '09s with every other oil change. However, I don't know how these were cared for with their past owners, so I don't mind doing it this way for the first couple of times. The fluid does look new and doesn't smell burnt, so I think it's all going well so far.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Probably more often than you need to. ( I followed Honda's recommendations for our 99 Acura and it was flawless over 185K miles, and that was in the days of Z-1)
    Well it equates to full fluid change in ~ 60K and then it just is kept fresh. With all the work that I have done to my CRV in maintenance to bring it up to par, keeping the trans fluid fresh is a peace of mind for me since I dont know the history.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I am doing our '09s with every other oil change. However, I don't know how these were cared for with their past owners, so I don't mind doing it this way for the first couple of times. The fluid does look new and doesn't smell burnt, so I think it's all going well so far.
    The first drain and fill I did my fluid looked dark but didnt have a burnt smell thankfully. But I do think that I might have the torque converter shudder issue, but I think that its very minimal. Something that I might have to address in the next 60K or so. After the initial fluid change, I did notice a nice improvement in shifting and it smoothed out driving in general. Maybe a placebo affect, but maybe not.
    2010 Honda CR-V EX-L- the daily beast
    2010 Lexus GX 460 - the off roader
    2015 Honda Odyessy Elite - the wifey's
    2001 Triumph Tiger 955i - my 2 wheeled adventure

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I bought a 2008 CRV and took to local Honda Dealer for a free multi-point inspection. They put down transmission fluid change. I had informed the mechanic that was showing me a few things and I told him I had no idea if the fluid change was ever done. He told me not to get it changed because it could cause transmission problems down the road.

I had changed the transmission fluid in a previous Honda Fit and about 7 months later, the transmission went (burned up inside). So if you know for sure it was done, you should change the transmission fluid as many have told you to do it.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sps1980 View Post
    I bought a 2008 CRV and took to local Honda Dealer for a free multi-point inspection. They put down transmission fluid change. I had informed the mechanic that was showing me a few things and I told him I had no idea if the fluid change was ever done. He told me not to get it changed because it could cause transmission problems down the road.

I had changed the transmission fluid in a previous Honda Fit and about 7 months later, the transmission went (burned up inside). So if you know for sure it was done, you should change the transmission fluid as many have told you to do it.
    It's not hard to know if it had been changed or not. And NO Honda transmission would last this long without being changed. If fluid looks decently red/clear it's been changed. When you do a change you'll know real quick if it was never changed, a ton of crud will come out of the drain plug hole.

And your mechanic is stuck on info for older transmissions, Honda's don't have those issues so won't hurt anything changing it because if changing it causes an issue, that transmission was already trash anyway. Never listen to the "don't change it" crap unless it's a really old transmission. I've spent the last 17yrs as lead tech at a transmission shop just FYI.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. ThanksCarbuff2 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sps1980 View Post
    He told me not to get it changed because it could cause transmission problems down the road.
    IMHO, that is one of the dumbest mechanics' myths out there. I'd have asked for a Honda TSB that recommends not changing the transmission fluid in older transmissions. There isn't any such thing. Instead, a 3x or 4x drain and fill would be best to change out as much of the fluid as possible if it does not look to be the right color, smells burnt, or has had an unknown service history.

They were pulling this same thing back in the 70s and 80s. I was driving a '73 Catalina (which our family owned since 1975), and since we'd never had the transmission fluid changed, we decided to have it done. The grease monkey insisted that the crud inside the transmission was "holding it together." I hate to tell that grease monkey, but we never had a problem with the transmission for the remaining few years we owned it. Shifted as good as it always had.

Unless the Fit had been neglected prior in life (provided you bought it used), something else could have happened to the transmission. "Burned up inside" doesn't say a thing as to what component inside the transmission actually failed.

I changed the fluid in our '88 Accord and had it fail--it was just a poorly designed transmission. And ask thousands of Acura TL owners from 2000-2003 who had theirs fail, some multiple times, prior to the first scheduled fluid change. If I remember, it was the clutch packs between either 2nd or 3rd gear that would burn up due to a lack of lubrication. The only true "cure" was to get an automatic transmission from a 2007 Accord V6, as it was a totally new transmission design, vs. rebuilding the poorly designed transmission that could easily fail.)

The Accord in the family has a transmission issue, but the trouble is finding a trustworthy shop to look at it. Too many just say "rebuild" without even looking at it.
    2009 CR-V EX-L / 2009 CR-V EX-L #2 / 2004 Civic LX / 1997 CR-V LX / 2002 Accord EX-L V6

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    IMHO, that is one of the dumbest mechanics' myths out there. I'd have asked for a Honda TSB that recommends not changing the transmission fluid in older transmissions. There isn't any such thing. Instead, a 3x or 4x drain and fill would be best to change out as much of the fluid as possible if it does not look to be the right color, smells burnt, or has had an unknown service history.

They were pulling this same thing back in the 70s and 80s. I was driving a '73 Catalina (which our family owned since 1975), and since we'd never had the transmission fluid changed, we decided to have it done. The grease monkey insisted that the crud inside the transmission was "holding it together." I hate to tell that grease monkey, but we never had a problem with the transmission for the remaining few years we owned it. Shifted as good as it always had.

Unless the Fit had been neglected prior in life (provided you bought it used), something else could have happened to the transmission. "Burned up inside" doesn't say a thing as to what component inside the transmission actually failed.

I changed the fluid in our '88 Accord and had it fail--it was just a poorly designed transmission. And ask thousands of Acura TL owners from 2000-2003 who had theirs fail, some multiple times, prior to the first scheduled fluid change. If I remember, it was the clutch packs between either 2nd or 3rd gear that would burn up due to a lack of lubrication. The only true "cure" was to get an automatic transmission from a 2007 Accord V6, as it was a totally new transmission design, vs. rebuilding the poorly designed transmission that could easily fail.)

The Accord in the family has a transmission issue, but the trouble is finding a trustworthy shop to look at it. Too many just say "rebuild" without even looking at it.
    It is not a myth. I've worked for a transmission shop for 15yrs. If they haven't been changed in many years (the fluid is nasty) it's best to just drive it till it breaks. But that applies to American designed transmissions because they have nothing after the filter in the pan to catch debris.

For Honda's and Toyotas, it doesn't hurt anything. They are better designed to deal with it. Why Honda uses the sump with drain plug design. The crap settles in the bottom so the filter only deals with occasional bits that get picked up.

As for "rebuild" being the only option, unless it's a bad solenoid rebuild is the only option. That goes for all transmissions. Unless it's cured by an electrical part being replaced any internal repair costs almost the same as a rebuild because all seals and such have to be replaced anyway. So your paying similar price because the only thing not being changed are some of the clutches. Makes it very stupid not to just do a rebuild because a transmission shop if you force repair only to save 10% over the cost of a rebuild, you don't get any warranty at all. Transmission shops don't want that tarnishing their name because 9 out or 10 people that have an issue with a repair will bad mouth the shop to no end and make ridiculous demands if it doesn't fix the issue or the transmission has issues down the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12