TWO stolen 2019 CRVs from my driveway in 3 months!
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  3
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWO stolen 2019 CRVs from my driveway in 3 months!

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

TWO stolen 2019 CRVs from my driveway in 3 months!

Dear Honda,

I have purchased two cars from you in the last 3 months, and I am going to have to buy another new car this week. This is because, apparently, the Honda CRV Touring Turbo is ridiculously easy to steal! The first time, I chalked it up to bad luck. But then, less than 3 months later, my car is stolen, again! I am trying to understand how Honda does not take any measures to ensure that their cars can not be stolen. Why is Honda telling me that I need after market work done in order to secure my vehicle? Why do I need security cameras and kill switches, and steering wheel locks, rather than HONDA taking some initiative and FIXING this problem? I may sound irate. I may sound frustrated. But I'll bet that I'm not alone. Anyone else in Toronto have their Honda stolen out of their driveway? Please, tell Honda. Let's try to make a change in the way this company "secures" their vehicles. I think we need to let Honda know that we have had enough of their lack of care here. They expect the insurers to pay out, so "no big deal?" This is not ok. Honda needs to look into this and buyers need to put some pressure on Honda to make changes.

Sincerely,

Felicia

2. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Any car car be stolen even with the best security systems! Did they ever find them? If it was just some kids then maybe an aftermarket security system would work for you. I know some insurance companies will give a discount for having one.

Thanks (Received)
    Unfortunately not 😞 these guys were pros. Our insurance rep believes the fob was copied in a mall parking lot when we started the car, then they followed us home. The only way they could do that twice is if they were watching us to copy the fob a second time. And I agree that it can happen to most major brands, but I've been told by the police that Honda CRVs are "hot" right now, so I believe Honda should do everything in its power to secure their most stolen vehicle before insurance companies decide to hike their prices even more on CRVs

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Well then maybe it would be a good idea to get a security alarm system or at least some kind of motion detector system in your driveway. Normally the pros steal older cars so they can sell them to people who cut them up and sell the parts.

avs
    Thanks (Received)
    Any car can get stolen. It has nothing to do with the anti-theft system with the car. It’s just that Honda used parts are in high demand, a lot of Honda parts are interchangeable with other Honda or other makes and also there are a lot of Honda on the road w/ demand for parts are high.
    Try putting a brand new vw. No one would bother with it.

Thanks (Received)
    Geez, that’s horrible luck. If you have a garage then park it in there. Otherwise I would definitely get an aftermarket security system installed that disables the vehicle from being driven. Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 CRV EX (wife's)
    2014 Civic LX Sedan (mine)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Dear Honda,

I have purchased two cars from you in the last 3 months, and I am going to have to buy another new car this week. This is because, apparently, the Honda CRV Touring Turbo is ridiculously easy to steal! The first time, I chalked it up to bad luck. But then, less than 3 months later, my car is stolen, again! I am trying to understand how Honda does not take any measures to ensure that their cars can not be stolen. Why is Honda telling me that I need after market work done in order to secure my vehicle? Why do I need security cameras and kill switches, and steering wheel locks, rather than HONDA taking some initiative and FIXING this problem? I may sound irate. I may sound frustrated. But I'll bet that I'm not alone. Anyone else in Toronto have their Honda stolen out of their driveway? Please, tell Honda. Let's try to make a change in the way this company "secures" their vehicles. I think we need to let Honda know that we have had enough of their lack of care here. They expect the insurers to pay out, so "no big deal?" This is not ok. Honda needs to look into this and buyers need to put some pressure on Honda to make changes.

Sincerely,

Felicia
    Welcome to the world. Tech is out there and cheaply available. A car comes "in demand" and thieves get the tech. This is NOT a manufacturer issue. You live where there is a high there problem, it's ON YOU to take extra precautions to ensure vehicle isn't stolen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Thieves have the systems to read the key fob inside your home and use that not only to get into but also steal your car. You obviously live in an area with one of those gangs.

There are many news reports about this across the world. Here is a video of an actual theft. https://youtu.be/bR8RrmEizVg

One simple precaution for you, regardless of brand of car is to keep the fob inside a metal container.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Actually it is a manufacturer problem. For the price they get for cars these days, I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't be able to have some expectations of decent security. But new cars are easier to steal now than they've ever been. The start button system is the worst idea they've ever come up with, for several reasons, but theft is the biggest. How many people with them check to see if the car is locked after getting out of it with these systems? So how do you know if it's even locking? You don't. And why should you pay $35k+ for a car and have to pay more just to be able to keep it?

Personally, I've stopped even using a fob with my '07. I got a flat key made. Fits easier in the pocket, on a good old fashioned keyring, no constant fumbling around with a giant wad of keys constantly, and more secure. More hands free than a start button system. No fob to be read. Manual locking always makes sure you are checking. Key fobs have been a big gimmick for years but they are way less secure and a big pain to deal with. And I will never buy a vehicle with a start button. The whole concept is just gimmickry, it does not simplify. It makes everything more complex and less secure. Another fine example of how so-called progress takes one step forward and two steps back.

On a side note, there's an article this morning in the local news saying that car break-ins are up - 2,000 reported so far in Austin this year, and it's just getting started. Oh, well. Beware the ides of March!
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

13. ThanksEpona thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    One simple precaution for you, regardless of brand of car is to keep the fob inside a metal container.
    What kind of metal container? Aluminum or steel?

@felicia were your cars parked in a garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast