2017 CR-V Audio Upgrade Thread - Page 17
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  14
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2017 CR-V Audio Upgrade Thread

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbg View Post
    To folks who've changed the speakers - did you have to cut anything around the oem speaker grill inside the door liner? Crutchfield insists - even after talking to them - that we have to cut around the built-in door grill to fit the new speaker with the universal mount. Pioneer on the other hand tells me all I have to do is cut the tabs off the universal mount and it will fit but neither of them were sure for the gen V CRVs.

Anyhow that's the main thing keeping me from grabbing the new speakers - i'm not keen on cutting into a very expensive to replace door liner. thanks for any info.
    I didn't use the mount provided by Pioneer. The one provided by Crutchfield is a better fit, since it's made for CRV.
    Although I shaved off a few mm from that plastic edge around the speaker grill, I don't think it is really necessary. I could still see a tiny gap in between. Shaving a bit of it might prevent some unwanted vibrations, in case the plastic edge is touching the speaker.
    On the other hand, fitting the tweeters required some more serious enlargement of the original hole. I prefered to do that and get a tight fit, instead of using glue or something. The Pioneer tweeter mount is covering nicely the old hole and everything is looking better than the original, in my opinion.
    Last edited by ultimagaina; 04-21-2019 at 09:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    To folks who've changed the speakers - did you have to cut anything around the oem speaker grill inside the door liner? Crutchfield insists - even after talking to them - that we have to cut around the built-in door grill to fit the new speaker with the universal mount. Pioneer on the other hand tells me all I have to do is cut the tabs off the universal mount and it will fit but neither of them were sure for the gen V CRVs.

Anyhow that's the main thing keeping me from grabbing the new speakers - i'm not keen on cutting into a very expensive to replace door liner. thanks for any info.
    I'm pretty sure they have, or you can make, adaptor rings that make any metal cutting unnecessary. I've seen YouTube videos on it. IIRC, it was Five Star Car Stereo. Cant' remember for sure but I know I've seen them. The speakers just need to be spaced outwards about 3/4" so the back side of the cones clears the sheet metal. I saw videos where they made them out of mdf, and also out of black abs. Just simple round spacers that brought the speaker out of the hole far enough to clear. I think now there are ready made ones available.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post

I'm pretty sure they have, or you can make, adaptor rings that make any metal cutting unnecessary. I've seen YouTube videos on it. IIRC, it was Five Star Car Stereo. Cant' remember for sure but I know I've seen them. The speakers just need to be spaced outwards about 3/4" so the back side of the cones clears the sheet metal. I saw videos where they made them out of mdf, and also out of black abs. Just simple round spacers that brought the speaker out of the hole far enough to clear. I think now there are ready made ones available.
    Let me clarify that NO metal cutting was necessary for those Pioneer speakers.
    I was only talking about the plastic edge surrounding the woofer grill, on the inside of the door cover and about the plastic holder for the tweeter, which had to get the inner hole enlarged.
    The woofer grill is still there, untouched and it looks unchanged after the speaker replacement.
    Last edited by ultimagaina; 04-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)

Nothing to cut, you can buy adaptor rings for the 6.5" speaker and adaptor for the wire.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    This is how the Pioneer tweeters look like
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ultimagaina; 04-22-2019 at 01:27 PM.

8. Thanksmnestrud thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimagaina View Post
    This is how the Pioneer tweeters look like
    Nice and clean. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    I was only talking about the plastic edge surrounding the woofer grill, on the inside of the door cover and about the plastic holder for the tweeter, which had to get the inner hole enlarged.
    The woofer grill is still there, untouched and it looks unchanged after the speaker replacement.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about the tweeter part since those covers aren't too expensive but also I probably won't swap them until I can find a way to connect the tweeters without cutting into the oem harness.

How did you end up cutting the edge? did you use a blade knife or dremel?

On the tweeter connectors, I was following a civic thread where folks were suggesting using the older acura tweeters where the connector is hooked up via cables vs. being connected directly but those seem to be wrong types. I'm now looking into some folks who took off the connector from the oem and soldered it to the new one. My last option would be finding a two pin connector that fits in the oem connector and secure it.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Adaptors are available to fit those connectors. Try Crutchfield, or Amazon. The same companies that make the head unit adaptor harness kits make them.

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about the tweeter part since those covers aren't too expensive but also I probably won't swap them until I can find a way to connect the tweeters without cutting into the oem harness.

How did you end up cutting the edge? did you use a blade knife or dremel?

On the tweeter connectors, I was following a civic thread where folks were suggesting using the older acura tweeters where the connector is hooked up via cables vs. being connected directly but those seem to be wrong types. I'm now looking into some folks who took off the connector from the oem and soldered it to the new one. My last option would be finding a two pin connector that fits in the oem connector and secure it.
    I didn't cut the tweeter harness. It is still there, inside the door, unused.
    The twitter is connected via a new cable, with an inline crossover (provided by Pioneer) to the woofer, which is connected to the original harness via a Metra connector (provided by Crutchfield)
    To enlarge the tweeter mount, I used a file.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Adaptors are available to fit those connectors. Try Crutchfield, or Amazon. The same companies that make the head unit adaptor harness kits make them.
    They do make connectors for the speakers however it seems no one's bothered to make them for the tweeters. Metra - who make the bulk of the speaker connectors - said they had no plans to make them.

I didn't cut the tweeter harness. It is still there, inside the door, unused.
    The twitter is connected via a new cable, with an inline crossover (provided by Pioneer) to the woofer, which is connected to the original harness via a Metra connector (provided by Crutchfield)
    To enlarge the tweeter mount, I used a file.
    Ok this clarifies one of the install videos that pioneer had talking about the cable. By doing this - bypassing the tweeter harness - have you noticed any side effects on the HU? I was under the impression that oem tweeters were connected to the HU directly and was worried if the HU didn't 'see' any tweeters then it might alter the sound output.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements