2017 CR-V Audio Upgrade Thread - Page 18
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  14
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2017 CR-V Audio Upgrade Thread

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbg View Post
    Ok this clarifies one of the install videos that pioneer had talking about the cable. By doing this - bypassing the tweeter harness - have you noticed any side effects on the HU? I was under the impression that oem tweeters were connected to the HU directly and was worried if the HU didn't 'see' any tweeters then it might alter the sound output.
    I have a similar setup, I have a Touring (w/ oem amp). I put a set of infinity kappa components in last year and wired them both together via the crossover unit. I effectively abandoned the factory tweeter wire.

This approach works well... different tweeters have different lower range floors, and if you use the stock wire you're pairing an artermarket tweeter with an oem crossover.

I'm going to post at some point about it but I installed Viper4Android over the weekend on the head unit and it had a tremendous impact. Whatever the OEM dsp settings are, they're losing the bottom 1/4 of the entire spectrum and the system now sounds fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Ok this clarifies one of the install videos that pioneer had talking about the cable. By doing this - bypassing the tweeter harness - have you noticed any side effects on the HU? I was under the impression that oem tweeters were connected to the HU directly and was worried if the HU didn't 'see' any tweeters then it might alter the sound output.
    The factory tweeter has also a capacitor soldered next to it, acting as crossover. It doesn't have a separate HU connection.

See this diagram: https://imgur.com/uQTw4vU

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  45.9 KB

The only thing I noticed is that it sounds much better
    Last edited by ultimagaina; 04-24-2019 at 06:49 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimagaina View Post
    I didn't cut the tweeter harness. It is still there, inside the door, unused.
    The twitter is connected via a new cable, with an inline crossover (provided by Pioneer) to the woofer, which is connected to the original harness via a Metra connector (provided by Crutchfield)
    To enlarge the tweeter mount, I used a file.
    I wonder how well this works out with us po' folks with older (Gen3) models, where the tweeters are in the dash, not the door. Also, that's not a woofer, it's a midrange. A woofer would be much larger and cover a different frequency range. There are very few car audio solutions that use woofers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    They do make connectors for the speakers however it seems no one's bothered to make them for the tweeters. Metra - who make the bulk of the speaker connectors - said they had no plans to make them.
    I don't know why there would be a need, as every tweeter connector I've ever seen has the same connector as the midrange, so it would use the same adaptor.

Thanks (Received)
    The factory tweeter has also a capacitor soldered next to it, acting as crossover. It doesn't have a separate HU connection.

See this diagram: https://imgur.com/uQTw4vU

The only thing I noticed is that it sounds much better
    Please don't post links to image storage sites. Instead, just post the image here directly. That way it will always be here and will never disappear after another Photobucket fiasco. Posting images directly in posts here is a provided service, easily done when posting. Please edit your post and remove the imgur link and replace it with the actual image. You will have my thanks and everyone else's as well. Thanks.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Please don't post links to image storage sites. Instead, just post the image here directly. That way it will always be here and will never disappear after another Photobucket fiasco. Posting images directly in posts here is a provided service, easily done when posting. Please edit your post and remove the imgur link and replace it with the actual image. You will have my thanks and everyone else's as well. Thanks.
    Done that. But just for the record, that schematic is not my finding. I took the link from another audio thread in this forum.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    I wonder how well this works out with us po' folks with older (Gen3) models, where the tweeters are in the dash, not the door. Also, that's not a woofer, it's a midrange. A woofer would be much larger and cover a different frequency range. There are very few car audio solutions that use woofers.
    They call it woofer on crutchfield:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA...-TS-A652C.html

Product highlights:
    component speaker system includes 2 woofers and 2 tweeters
    6-1/2" multilayer carbon- and mica-reinforced IMPP woofer cone with elastic polymer surround
    separate 3/4" polyimide hard dome tweeter with inline crossover
    woofer adapter and tweeter mounting equipment included
    grilles not included
    handles up to 80 watts RMS (350 watts peak power)
    frequency response: 34-49,000 Hz
    impedance: 4 ohms
    sensitivity: 85 dB
    woofer top-mount depth: 2-3/8"
    warranty: 1 year

in theory, midrange speakers are designed to work between 250 and 2000Hz. These speakers work way below 250Hz (see my charts on page 16)
    So while they are not woofers, as per the woofer definition, they are more than midrange, at the same time.

10. ThanksMike728, JB in AZ thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    They call it woofer on crutchfield:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA...-TS-A652C.html

Product highlights:
    component speaker system includes 2 woofers and 2 tweeters
    6-1/2" multilayer carbon- and mica-reinforced IMPP woofer cone with elastic polymer surround
    separate 3/4" polyimide hard dome tweeter with inline crossover
    woofer adapter and tweeter mounting equipment included
    grilles not included
    handles up to 80 watts RMS (350 watts peak power)
    frequency response: 34-49,000 Hz
    impedance: 4 ohms
    sensitivity: 85 dB
    woofer top-mount depth: 2-3/8"
    warranty: 1 year

in theory, midrange speakers are designed to work between 250 and 2000Hz. These speakers work way below 250Hz (see my charts on page 16)
    So while they are not woofers, as per the woofer definition, they are more than midrange, at the same time.
    ^^ 100% correct calling it a woofer. Some people don't like being corrected, though.

12. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnestrud View Post
    I have a similar setup, I have a Touring (w/ oem amp). I put a set of infinity kappa components in last year and wired them both together via the crossover unit. I effectively abandoned the factory tweeter wire.

This approach works well... different tweeters have different lower range floors, and if you use the stock wire you're pairing an artermarket tweeter with an oem crossover.

I'm going to post at some point about it but I installed Viper4Android over the weekend on the head unit and it had a tremendous impact. Whatever the OEM dsp settings are, they're losing the bottom 1/4 of the entire spectrum and the system now sounds fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    How did you install viper4android? Is your headunit hacked? The infotaiment is dated ragarding sound settings compared to the usual headunit

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
    How did you install viper4android? Is your headunit hacked? The infotaiment is dated ragarding sound settings compared to the usual headunit

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    I see you already found my thread, but for others:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...r4android.html

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements