Really bad gas mileage?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really bad gas mileage?

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)

Really bad gas mileage?

I recall reading a post where a guy wanted to sue Honda or something over his new V getting really bad mileage. He was getting like 16 MPG, far below the rating for this car. Well, I had a little trip to do today so I carefully checked the MPG on my Touring. The trip was just 18 miles, not a long road trip. It was 1/3 city, 2/3 interstate through the middle of a fair sized city with a couple of big intersections and merging. This was not some flat road steady speed trip. I drive 60 to 70 in the interstate section. There was a slight elevation change so the mileage was a little different on the return side as it was "uphill".

For the first two or three miles the MPG was terrible, only showing like 9 MPG, then slowly coming up to 16, then finally 19. It was looking very bad and had I stopped at that point I would have really felt the car was drinking gas. But I drove on, crossed the river, off the interstate and back on local city streets and arrived at my goal. Checked the mileage...for the 18 mile run....33.2 MPG. Checked it for the trip back home, same roads, same speeds but slightly "uphill". Got 33.0 MPG.

I can not complain about this mileage. Fact is I am very happy with it. But that first five miles I thought about the fellow who was upset over his terrible mileage. I think the issue is as much the programing of the computer system as anything. I mean I showed some pretty dismal MPG the first few miles. But at 18 miles it was 33 MPG. And it duplicated that on the way home driving the same route.

Moral of the story: If you are only driving a few miles and in "town" your MPG is going to look pretty sad. If you drive in a reasonable fashion and go any distance you will see vastly better numbers. I drove from my bank to my house today which is just a tad bit less than two miles and it showed over 25 MPG on that short trip. (Warmed up engine after 18 mile run). That was excellent plus in my book for that little run.

Don't be scared about the new CR-V drinking gas because a few people drove them short trips and perhaps with a heavy foot. This car is great for fuel economy.

2. Thanksjimbob15 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Are you getting those really low mileages right after filling up? Every time I fill up with gas, my Trip B resets and it takes 5 to 10 miles before it looks like "normal" mileage for this car. Yesterday, mine started out at 7 or 8 mpg at first, but within 15 miles, I was getting 36 mpg.
    2017 CRV EX 2WD - Lunar Silver
    2007 CRV LX 2WD - Borrego Beige

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore buggingout67's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    I have about 2k miles on my. Doing about 21.4 in the city. Highway is a dream i can get it up to 34 mpg. I live in nyc so stop and go everywhere. I am ok with it. Most people will have different numbers. I was getting about 23-24 city with my 2014 kia soul so i am happy with just getting 21ish or so. I think it will boost to 24mpg city during the summer when the winter fuel blend goes away. I also noticed that resetting the trip meter before i start the day gives me different mpg on the same trip. But at the end of the day it comes down to 21.4. I envy the people on here getting 28mpg city they probably live in a small town or city with lots of space.... come to nyc and show me those numbers here...

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Pretty much every car gets terrible mileage until it warms up some; cold starts take crazy amounts of gas... it has ever been thus.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    If I fill up my gas tank when my car is warmed up, my observation is that it takes quite a few miles for the sensors to "catch up" and start to reflect real mileage. Seriously, I had 32 mpg showing, stopped and filled up, and then it went to 8 mpg for the first 8 to 10 miles.
    2017 CRV EX 2WD - Lunar Silver
    2007 CRV LX 2WD - Borrego Beige

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I have been doing short trips only and the trip Computer shows around 14 mpg per trip. And I just realized was on Eco since I came out of dealership. Planning for some long trips to replicate what hans471+ shared.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Mine has been pretty terrible so far, but there are some factors: winter gas, new car, lots of short trips, not much highway mileage, lots of using the remote start. Once the weather warms up I figure it should be a lot better.

Thanks (Received)
    I'm up to 32 mpg combined average.
    Can't really complain tbh, that's 4 mpg more than my prior vehicle ('12 camry)

Thanks (Received)
    I'm at 28mpg in the never ending winter here in MA. Mostly city/back road driving.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    For those of us who have low gas milage, we aren't talking about the MPG after a few miles, we are talking about the average MPG after a tank.
    The upside is, I'm getting better after 3rd tank at 27.5 mpg vs 25.2 after the 1st.
    Not sure because of the break-in or weather/temp.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast