Parasitic Battery Draw (Dead Battery)
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasitic Battery Draw (Dead Battery)

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Parasitic Battery Draw (Dead Battery)

To all fellow CRV owners, please take note of this as more than likely you'll be hit by this. My 2017 had 1800 miles on it. Ready to leave on a trip. Was not happy at 4pm. This SB was issued on June 14, 2017. Think Honda would contact us? Check your VIN if you're in the range they perform a software update. Also had them up-date the infotainment as well

Name:  parasitic.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  51.4 KB

2. Thanksrjparker thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the update. Apparently I just escaped the recall by 1535 after 7FARW..HE003458. Mine is 7FARW..HE004993
    2017 CR-V L Nav & Michelins
    2012 Prius v Model 3

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
    To all fellow CRV owners, please take note of this as more than likely you'll be hit by this. My 2017 had 1800 miles on it. Ready to leave on a trip. Was not happy at 4pm. This SB was issued on June 14, 2017. Think Honda would contact us? Check your VIN if you're in the range they perform a software update. Also had them up-date the infotainment as well

[iurl="https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91946&d=1500152708"][/iurl]
    Do you have any information on the infotainment update?

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Anyone have the list of vin.#s that are affected? I haven't had any problems yet but want to be sure mines not on the list. Thanks

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    You will see it in the photo at the beginning of this thread

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
    Think Honda would contact us?
    Everyone should remember, a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is NOT a recall. Rather, it is a communication published to aid in resolving service issues.

In this case, we should expect any dealership to look up the symptom (battery discharge after parking brake applied during 2+ days of inactivity).

Sometimes it is necessary to tell the service writer that Honda knows the issue and it can be corrected or prevented (in this case, through TSB 17-032). THAT is the power of Forums like the CRVOC!!!

We all need to realize that some folks don't explain the symptoms in terms that will trigger recognition by the service writer. If you didn't associate your dead battery with the application of the parking brake, would you have mentioned this to the service writer? I don't think so...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Everyone should remember, a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is NOT a recall. Rather, it is a communication published to aid in resolving service issues.

In this case, we should expect any dealership to look up the symptom (battery discharge after parking brake applied during 2+ days of inactivity).

Sometimes it is necessary to tell the service writer that Honda knows the issue and it can be corrected or prevented (in this case, through TSB 17-032). THAT is the power of Forums like the CRVOC!!!

We all need to realize that some folks don't explain the symptoms in terms that will trigger recognition by the service writer. If you didn't associate your dead battery with the application of the parking brake, would you have mentioned this to the service writer? I don't think so...
    Exactly correct. Our TSB 17-032 is NOT a recall, but unfortunately some service writers at my dealer remind me of telephone customer service reps that only know what they read off a script. I had a messy phone conversation where a service writer told me I would have to pay a diagnostic charge related to this battery-no start issue. Currently, I have contacted Honda, and have a case # assigned. I expect to hear from Honda rep for my area next week. I have had two dead battery events since May after car sat for 3-4 days with parking brake engaged. Recently I've not used parking brake, but I prefer to use it.

Thanks (Received)
    My battery was dead after sitting for 3 days. I took my vehicle to the dealer and told them about this service bulletin. As reported by others in other threads, they couldn't find a bulletin 17-032. They did do an update on my vsa software. I don't know how updates to this system work. I would hope an update to this system would be inclusive. Certainly they don't have to do updates for each tweak or fix that comes along. My battery continued to lose voltage after the update, so I went back to the dealer. They told me the battery was bad and replaced it. This morning the new battery had a full charge according to my meter but the parking brake was not engaged. I'll check it tomorrow after the parking brake has been on. That will be the test. I'll check in with an update. If you check your battery with a multimeter you can see what's going on instead of waiting for your battery to be dead at the worst possible time. Mine went to 11.9 volts after 3 days which is nearly dead but started the car. If it were 10 degrees, probably not.

Thanks (Received)
    My next move is also to contact Honda. My dealer has tried to resolve this but obviously hasn't been given the resources they need.

13. ThanksLCMartinCRV thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Wow. I am really sorry I bought this stupid car. Should have stuck to toyota.

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast