Infotainment system update or not?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  9
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Infotainment system update or not?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)

Infotainment system update or not?

So I was at a Open House for my Honda dlr's newly remodeled showroom last wk. A good informal time to talk w/ salesman, service and owner about the new CR-V. I asked all of them about a software update for the known glitches in the system. It was like the first time any of them were hearing about these problems. It seems only one other customer has brought this up to them. I told them about the forum here and a supposed update from Honda. It's like I was speaking in a different language.

SO, IS THERE AN UPDATE OR NOT???

If something can't be done about this soon, I can see myself taking a loss and trading in on something else before the 1 yr mark. This is very frustrating for a car that costs so much and for a longtime Honda owner. I'll definitely go back to my rule of never buying a first or last model yr of a car. Am I the only one that feels this way?
    2017 EX-L w/ Nav, Molten Lava Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Problems? I'm not having any problems. Seems like they are few and far between. If you want problems try other brands.
    2017 CDN AWD Touring Modern Steel Metallic. LED cargo & plate lights, 3M hood film, Honda 19" wheels w/Michelin Premier LTXs, Nokian all-weather tires on factory rims for winter, WeatherTech front floor mats

4. ThanksSR45, curmudgeon042 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    If you are talking about the VSA software update to resolve the battery going dead due to a parasitic draw from the electric parking brake, that has nothing to due with the infotainment system. The VSA software update has fixed that issue to my satisfaction, and I hadmy battery go dead at least 7 times prior to the update (and none since I received the update). The VSA software does not reside in the infotainment system computer.

If you are talking about owner reporting getting spurious and erroneous messages from the safety systems, those issues are for lack of better words "fictitious". The cameras and radar get temporarily fooled by bright sun, rain drops on a windshield, unexpected lines on the road , etc, etc, that the algorithm that determines if there is a real issue can't resolve--and likely there will never be a fix for those things. This is a computer, much like your phone, home computer, IPad, etc, that sometimes needs to be rebooted to clear memory after it tries it's best to deal with something that it was not programmed to due.

If you are asking about the navigation traffic issue, it appears that replacing the the infotainment head has resolved some of those issues and in some cases the owner is in an area where there is no radio signal to update the system.

None of those issues are related to software in the infotainment system nor can be fixed by an update to the Infotainment system software.

Honda is not the only company that is experiencing software issues as all cars with any of the new systems rely more and more on computer and radar, so if you choose to cut you losses, good luck in finding a new vehicle with any of these systems that aren't having the same type of issues. In fact, if I have learned one thing from owning this car, it's that I think that truly autonomous cars are probably further away from being perfected enough to allow them loose on our highways than some manufacturers would lead us to believe..

Could you (original poster) please be more specific about what issue you are referring to in the original post in this thread?
    Last edited by Jeffgriz; 07-28-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    2004 CR-V EX Silver 5 speed manual 300,000+ miles
    2004 Pilot EX-L White/Green 204,000+ miles
    2017 CR-V EX-L White Diamond Pearl /Black Leather Sunroof and Hood Deflectors, OEM Rubber Mats, Cargo Tray, Mud Flaps, Rear Bumper Protector, Rear Hatch Sill Protector, complete LED interior upgrade, LED back up lights, Illuminated Door Sills, aftermarket exhaust tips, and Yellow Halogen Fog light bulbs.

6. ThanksSR45, Cabfam thanked for this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I too would like to know what exactly OP is talking about. My infotainment system is doing just fine. And yes to the poster above, you are absolutely correct that other vehicles are having glitches as well, so where do you go? OP better read the other manufacture forums regarding their vehicles before he jumps into another problem.
    2017 Honda CR-V Touring

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    No issues at all with mine, love it!!! Maybe OP is just used simple electronic devices, nothing too fancy?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    I seriously doubt theyd update them.
    2015 Copper Sunset Pearl CR-V Touring
    2015 Obsidian Blue Pearl CR-V Touring
    Prev: 2004 Lexus RX-330, 2004 Toyota Rav 4, 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, 2000 CR-V, 1996 Elantra, 1994 Camry, 1988 Accord, 1986 Accord, 1983 200sx

Thanks (Received)
    These are the issues I've had:
    - Cannot use Ipod Classic. It will freeze up the screen after awhile. Also, incessant pops while playing. It's not the Ipod because it works fine on all current and previous veh. (Honda, Nissan and Toyota)
    - Randomly switching sources when start car
    - Screen blanking out for no apparent reason
    - Delay in rearview camera coming up and guidelines delay after several seconds

I have used ipods, bluetooth and cell phones in cars before so I'm not new to these. It just seems like this is the buggiest system I've encountered. Maybe all manf. have these problems now. If so perhaps I'll install an old 8 track player and get out my ELP, ELO and Grand Funk RR. Ok, so now you know how old I am.
    2017 EX-L w/ Nav, Molten Lava Pearl

Thanks (Received)
    The only real issue I have with the software is that when I connect my phone(s) via Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, or Android Auto, it automatically starts playing music. I don't want that! I want a setting where the auto play is OFF! It's not a phone setting. No other BT device that I connect to (speakers, headphones, etc) does that.

For reference, my build number is 1.F195.80. Basically looks like an Android tablet screen with old version 4.2.2 running on it.
    2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    No issue here:
    1) don't have Ipod classic but using old iphone4s as medium without any issues.
    2) I wont said randomly but when I had sandisk Cruzer usb flash drive plugged into the usb port and system didn't detect it during starting up, it switch to the next available source. apparently the HU doesn't quite like sandisk usb and high capacity portable HD with tons of media files
    3&4) I have this issue when sandsik cruzer is plugged in during starting up the car. If it's plugged in after HU loads up, it works fine.

System build is 1.F195.50

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcrv View Post
    These are the issues I've had:
    - Cannot use Ipod Classic. It will freeze up the screen after awhile. Also, incessant pops while playing. It's not the Ipod because it works fine on all current and previous veh. (Honda, Nissan and Toyota)
    - Randomly switching sources when start car
    - Screen blanking out for no apparent reason
    - Delay in rearview camera coming up and guidelines delay after several seconds

I have used ipods, bluetooth and cell phones in cars before so I'm not new to these. It just seems like this is the buggiest system I've encountered. Maybe all manf. have these problems now. If so perhaps I'll install an old 8 track player and get out my ELP, ELO and Grand Funk RR. Ok, so now you know how old I am.
    I believe I read just this week that Apple is soon dropping support for all IPods other than the touch. It may be they are doing that because they are not compatible with newer devices.

The other issues you seem to be having may warrant having the head unit replaced. Sounds more like a hardware rather than software issue.
    2004 CR-V EX Silver 5 speed manual 300,000+ miles
    2004 Pilot EX-L White/Green 204,000+ miles
    2017 CR-V EX-L White Diamond Pearl /Black Leather Sunroof and Hood Deflectors, OEM Rubber Mats, Cargo Tray, Mud Flaps, Rear Bumper Protector, Rear Hatch Sill Protector, complete LED interior upgrade, LED back up lights, Illuminated Door Sills, aftermarket exhaust tips, and Yellow Halogen Fog light bulbs.

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast