Crossover/SUV Tires vs. Grand Touring Tires
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossover/SUV Tires vs. Grand Touring Tires

crv|oc Rank: Freshman BirchBarlow's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)

Crossover/SUV Tires vs. Grand Touring Tires

I know someone asked a question in another thread about using "sedan tires" on the CR-V but I believe their question pertained to using an off-spec tire size, which is not the topic of interest here. I'm more curious about the merits and drawbacks of crossover tires vs. passenger tires on the CR-V as both are made in the proper size (235/60R18). I noticed on Tire Rack that passenger tires tend to have higher satisfaction ratings than Crossover/SUV tires, at least with the major brands like Michelin and Continental. While the data on Tire Rack is certainly helpful, it is kind of hard to compare tires across categories as the passenger tires are tested on sedans while crossover/SUV tires are tested on SUVs, and this is of course reflected in the reviews.

Has anyone here purchased new tires for their CR-V yet? If so, what make and model did you choose? Does anyone have experience with both crossover tires and passenger tires on a CR-V, or really any SUV such that you can make an apples to apples comparison with all other variables being equal? Are crossover tires any more robust than standard passenger tires, or is it just marketing to sell you a more expensive tire?
    2017 EX-L AWD Obsidian Blue Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    First off, Most of us don't know their differences??

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm putting on some proper All Terrain tires to maximize the superiority of my AWD CRV.

http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/yokoha...-235-60r18-xl/

I like to hunt so I figure with these on my Honda I can get into position and use the car as a duck blind if necessary. Don't try this if you didn't get a sunroof.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Suv tires have higher load rating, possibly more aggressive tread and ride rougher (stiffer tire for load rating)

Most SUVs these days like the new CRVs are NOT SUVs. They are nothing more than a soccer mom mini van of old. No "Sport utility" involved. They pretty much come with passenger car tires from the factory. Some come with cross over type tires which have the tread wear, and efficiency of passenger car tires while not being completely useless in snow or off pavement.

99% of CRV owners have passenger tires on them (just got decent tires in the right size when replacing tires) and dont even know what if any difference. Just buy what is recommended by the shop.

I currently have touring tires (mid level performance passenger tires) on mine as rears were about 75% tread, 1 front was new other was a spare. So all 4 match now. Mine is a gen 2 but same difference. Ill be putting XUV (not generic crossover named passenger tires) so I have tread wear and such of passenger with tread thats more useful for me.

Basically, as long as all 4 tires match and are correct size, pick the tires that suit your needs. If your like 99.9% of owners, passenger tires are fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I have had passenger car tires on my Pilot and currently have an aggressive tread all season tire. When I've had passenger car (Touring) tires on my Pilot they were certainly quieter and did seem to improve the overall handling on dry and wet roads, but definitely were not as good as all season tires on snow. On my older CR-V I have only used M&S tires year round for 14 years. On my 2017 I'm think of picking up a second set of wheels from someone who doesn't like their "fidget spinners" (LOL because I actually like them) and running snow tires from November to April and a Touring tire April to November.
    2004 CR-V EX Silver 5 speed manual 300,000+ miles
    2004 Pilot EX-L White/Green 204,000+ miles
    2017 CR-V EX-L White Diamond Pearl /Black Leather Sunroof and Hood Deflectors, OEM Rubber Mats, Cargo Tray, Mud Flaps, Rear Bumper Protector, Rear Hatch Sill Protector, complete LED interior upgrade, LED back up lights, Illuminated Door Sills, aftermarket exhaust tips, and Yellow Halogen Fog light bulbs.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I don't think most people need to stay on stiff, overbuilt SUV tires. The CR-V weighs less than most mid size sedans. Its suspension is sophisticated and a more responsive performance oriented tire would suit it very well. The Hankooks are a big let down IMHO.

9. ThanksNotHondaUSA thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    [QUOTE=gnosisdog;1331378]I don't think most people need to stay on stiff, overbuilt SUV tires. The CR-V weighs less than most mid size sedans. Its suspension is sophisticated and a more responsive performance oriented tire would suit it very well. The Hankooks are a big let down IMHO.[/QULoo

Looking at all the tire categories today,the distinctions easily get lost. I can understand winter/all seasons/summer. And speed ratings for each. But all seasons standard, performance all season and ultra performance all season is just one too much for me. I would just rather look at test results and make my own distinctions within a speed rating that meet my needs.

It as much as looking at a product description that one is bronze, one gold and and the other is platinum. What does that mean other then just higher price. LOL

FWIW, I got rid of my stock Hankook's and and got the "sedan" Michelin Defender T&H, since in snow/ice the the Hankook's were rated rather low. Of course, this winter, in Colorado, I had only one day of any snow and ice . The Hankooks's would have been fine. Oh, well.....
    Last edited by NotHondaUSA; 03-08-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    I have a HRV crossover. Went to change tires, shop guy said it uses sedan tire bcos the size is no available in SUV spec tires. Si, is HRV, a SUV or sedan? Haha...

Thanks (Received)
    I'm thinking along the lines of a set of 17" wheels and 225 65 17 tires all season they should be quite, or should I say better than the oem tries.... jim

Thanks (Received)
    I purchased some Michelin Premeire LTX tires for my 19s. Wonderful tires and very quiet. Will be buying another set once these ones are done. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by MangoConChile; 03-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.

14. ThanksBoldlygo thanked for this post
  15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast