Help! 2017 CRV Shift Knob Removal
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! 2017 CRV Shift Knob Removal

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Help! 2017 CRV Shift Knob Removal

Hi!

New to the forum. Have had my CRV for about a year now, and it has been amazing for the past 26,000 miles or so.

The other day my silver button on my shifter somehow de-lodged and is sticking out further than what it was before. It always wiggles a bit. I have looked all around for a DIY showing how to remove the shift knob, and inspected it myself a bit. No luck though.

Trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, and hope that someone can help with how to remove the shifter so I can tighten up that piece.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Your the second person that I has had a button problem and written about it on the forum.
    Maybe the first post can help you with finding a solution.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...ft-button.html

Rob

Thanks (Received)
    Why avoid the dealer? You're still under warranty.

5. Thanksrocky thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I have this issue, too, with my new 2017. Shifter knob button just fell off! Broken. Now steering wheel won't lock so key is stuck in the ignition. LX model. Looks like it's an inexpensive part and easy to replace. Even though it's under warranty, my dealer is a 70 mile trip and wants my car all day! That's why I'm willing to pay my local mechanic to fix it. Really Honda? You let me down!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmynier73471 View Post
    I have this issue, too, with my new 2017. Shifter knob button just fell off! Broken. Now steering wheel won't lock so key is stuck in the ignition. LX model. Looks like it's an inexpensive part and easy to replace. Even though it's under warranty, my dealer is a 70 mile trip and wants my car all day! That's why I'm willing to pay my local mechanic to fix it. Really Honda? You let me down!
    Apparently no other vehicle manufacturers have warranty claims? It's a mechanical device, sometimes they fail.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I haven't tried it on the CRV but most modern cars just have it held with friction. You carefully pull straight up on it with both hands and eventually it pops off. Make sure to protect your hands from hitting the radio, etc. though.

As far as your key, go get a small flat-blade screwdriver. Cover it with a rag and carefully pry up the shift lock cover (tiny piece of rectangle on the shift lever base). Then put that screw driver in there and you will be able to move the lever back to park. This procedure should be somewhere in the full manual (not the abbreviated user guide)

Thanks (Received)
    This just happened to me about 2 hours ago

crv|oc Rank: Senior fishycomics's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    should we feed you no, should we offer you smart advice yes. Fill out your profile. it will help us know what part of thos cyberspace you are from, and then we can kindly say

@robyg lives next to you He can head over and help you pull apart he part properly he has the typing skills for it.

or best advice we can offer, Mess it up and still head to the dealer and dish out big bucks its ***** FREE. unless you are a owner of a used V?
    k ROADSTER

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    The shift handle is held on by two screws. There is a plastic cover on the front of the shift handle that covers the screws. Use a small pry tool and work it around the edges of the cover to release it. Best to use a plastic tool so you don't scratch anything.
    It easier to remove the cover if you move the shifter to the "L" position.
    Last edited by Traylaw; 08-28-2018 at 09:11 AM.

13. Thanksrobbyg thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Senior fishycomics's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    So more or less the leather covers the screws.

So what is this????

So you think its push the inner tab and BINGO?

I know it's more then that the whole mechanism broke?
    Last edited by fishycomics; 08-28-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    k ROADSTER

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast