touch screen problem
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: touch screen problem

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

touch screen problem

The touch screen on my 2017 CRV Touring started beeping and going black while I was on a highway with nowhere to stop. The beeping was constant and a "Brightness" bar kept popping up and it would self adjust. I couldn't do anything with the screen. It went on for a half hour before I could pull off, at that time it was much slower but still doing it. This was the second time it's happened with a couple months between issues. It's extremely annoying when driving. Evidently Honda has had problems with this type thing for years. They need to find a fix pronto!

2. Thanksladdiedad thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
    The touch screen on my 2017 CRV Touring started beeping and going black while I was on a highway with nowhere to stop. The beeping was constant and a "Brightness" bar kept popping up and it would self adjust. I couldn't do anything with the screen. It went on for a half hour before I could pull off, at that time it was much slower but still doing it. This was the second time it's happened with a couple months between issues. It's extremely annoying when driving. Evidently Honda has had problems with this type thing for years. They need to find a fix pronto!

The Garmin DA+ system was new to the CRV in 2017 at Full Model Change (FMC), but was launched in this iteration in the '16 Civic (stand alone screens and control unit). The early '16 Civic's did have a flickering issue similar to what you're describing and Honda launched a TSB to update the software, so the issue was contained only to just the '16 M/Y Civic.

No one, including Honda or your dealer wants you to have a bad experience with your CRV, but it's difficult to fix what you cannot duplicate. The biggest question is can you hop in the car with the tech and demonstrate the issue to the dealer so they have a fighting chance to diagnose the issue correctly?

If not, it becomes a guess and it falls into 3 categorizes:
    - The display
    - The Audio/Navigation unit (ANU)
    - An "outside trigger", which means something that's being introduced to the system like a USB devise or cell phone via BT that is causing ANU to malfunction (very unlikely in you situation since it appears to be very infrequent)
    Since the most likely culprit is the display, if the dealer could duplicate the issue after you demonstrated to them, they could substitute a known-good display from another vehicle and see if the issue is now cured. if YES, they would replace the display. If NO, they would replace the ANU. Since a dealer's marching orders are "if there are no TSB's for the customers concern and you cannot duplicate the issue you are not authorized to guess or 'shotgun' the issuie".

So how can you help the dealer in diagnosing the problem? If you cannot demonstrate the concern to the dealer, but can show them a video of the issue, they can now go the District Parts and Service Manager and get authorization to "guess" with a replacement screen. It also makes it easy for them to call there technical support folks (Tech Line) and have them review the symptoms contained in the video. Tech Line can give the technician a far more accurate diagnose since they have a very high view of seeing cases from all over the nation where as for your dealer, this might be the only CRV they ever see with this issue.

So to recap:
    - Demonstrate the issue to the dealer so they can accurately diagnose your concern.
    - If you cannot, make a video or two of the event so they can see what you see and have something to promote to the DPSM and/or Tech Line so they can make the best "guess" they possibly can.

I hope this helps and good luck!

5. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    It sure is annoying.

My dealer did a "capacitor reset," which means disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, which, so far, has worked.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    My CRV also had this problem. Last weekend my dealership reset my radio to factory settings. The problem happened again within the week. I took it back to the dealership today and within 15 minutes they told me that my display needed to be replaced. A Honda Engineer (I think that’s what they referred to him as) was on site, which I think took the guesswork out of it.

Thanks (Received)
    There is going to be a certain amount of failures in all electronics. I suggest that you politely ask them to change the HU for a new one under warranty. Replicating the problem does make the process of exchange easier but It really does not matter if you cannot replicate it. Just tell them that it has this issue and that it pops up every so often and you need a replacement.

For any Honda dealer this should be not be a big deal. If they send back 5 dead HU to Honda every month, then Honda will send them 5 new ones.

Rob

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    but if honda test the units and nothing is wrong with them, they will refuse to pay the dealers. Thats why they need the ok from Tech line or a Honda engineer
    Honda Tech

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by downloader View Post
    but if honda test the units and nothing is wrong with them, they will refuse to pay the dealers. Thats why they need the ok from Tech line or a Honda engineer
    Trust me they don't test these things back at the "repair centers" like they did in the old days. They will either throw them away or they will scrap the boards out of them and put them back on the assembly line where the integrated test systems will either detect a fault or pass each board. If it passes it get built into a new unit. Things like the display, cables, knobs, chassis and other items subject to wear will be thrown out automatically. Unless something is hugely different at Mitsubishi they handle it just like other companies that mass produce low end electronics. And yes this is low end electronics!
    Last edited by robbyg; 04-27-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    I also had this exact problem happen last week. I also had an issue in Feb with my navigation and screen freezing. I contacted my dealership and this was their response:
    Hello and good morning I looked at your email , we have not had many issues with audio units , we have ran into a couple instances that phones are not compatible with certain models , or if a phone was just updated , the phone had to be un paired and re paired to the system to make it work properly but that’s about it
    I don't feel like they really addressed my concern.

Thanks (Received)
    This exact problem happened to me two days ago (2018 CR-V Touring w/ 500 miles on it). It actually resolved spontaneously after about 30 minutes and has not recurred. Am headed for the dealership today but undoubtedly will have no ability to reproduce the problem, but at least I'll have the problem on record.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by laddiedad View Post
    This exact problem happened to me two days ago (2018 CR-V Touring w/ 500 miles on it). It actually resolved spontaneously after about 30 minutes and has not recurred. Am headed for the dealership today but undoubtedly will have no ability to reproduce the problem, but at least I'll have the problem on record.
    And then again, you may not have it on record. Many service advisers will say if it is not doing it right now, no need to have a the look at it and they will not write up a repair order. They will say to take a picture of it when it is acting up, or bring it back when it is. Just saying.
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast