Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1 - Page 178
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  966
Page 178 of 191 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1906

Thread: Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UMRdyldo View Post
    1. Don't warm your car up for long periods of time, drive after cat warm up mode is off
    2. Get your car up to full operating temperature as much as possible. Especially in winter. Use a block heater if possible.
    3. Use a good SN+ oil
    4. Drive your car harder
    5. Use an OBD2 reader to watch LTFT, if it goes highly negative, you need to drive the car more.
    6. Check your oil weekly or every other
    1. Agree. If you do research on PCV, you would understand why extensive idling is not good for OD.
    2. Agree. This is what Honda has been preaching (cold engine = OD).
    3. No comment
    4. Hmm, some people bought the CRV for MPG. Some people want their car to last a long time. Some people are under restrictions and can't drive aggressively (like me because I'm in a program with my insurance that monitor my driving in exchange for lower rate). Multiple reasons why this is not a good suggestion.
    5. I don't understand the "drive more" suggestion. Does this mean "go out of your way to drive 30 minutes for what supposes to be a 5 minute trip" or "Do a lot of unnecessary trips"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRV-Owner View Post
    I will say having and using the block heater stopped my OD this winter....last winter was terrible and these last couple of weeks its been cool at night and I got lazy and stopped using the heater...checked oil yesterday and it already on its way up.....it would be great ,but where they put the plug behind and under the plate .....really hard to get to at my age
    Wow, are you sure about using a block heater stop your OD problem??? I am trying to find a correlation between my insulation method (posted in another thread) and my observation about my OD situation (had OD but not anymore). This could be very exciting!
    Last edited by jtuber; 04-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd082298 View Post
    Mike728 its probably best to stop arguing with this guy as it appears that this is his hobby or a form of entertainment. There is an ignore feature that I have used for one person already and probably will be doing so again.
    The ignore feature works great.
    The only problem is when someone who is not ignored quotes a post by one of the ignored.
    But, yes, you are wasting your time arguing with dyldo.

5. Thankswymark thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    3. Use a good SN+ oil
    Well, I'll comment. What the heck is SN+ oil supposed to do for us?

It's been discussed extensively that the advantages of SN+ oil are ONLY utilized in an engine specifically tuned for SN+ oil.
    The current 1.5L engine in our CR-Vs is not tuned for SN+ oil.

8. ThanksBobInPa thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Sounds like the CRV is designed to run with an mechanic/engineer on broad. It should also come with an OBD2 reader for Normal operation.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike881881 View Post
    There is absolutely no objective evidence that the issue some are having with OD will result in shortened engine life.

It is totally irresponsible remarks like this that makes a mockery of this discussion. I am sick and tired of the "there is no evidence" argument. If you cannot understand that diluted oil is, without question, detrimental to the lifespan of you engine, then you need to study some basic theory regarding viscocity and lubrication. Perhaps you should join UMRdyldo in his lab and leave us the hell alone until he, as he states, 'solves the problem' that a company as distinguished as Honda can't even find a solution to.
    Maybe williamsjc would going forward for each oil change swap out 2 quarts of oil with 2 quarts of gasoline and do a long term test to prove his point. That will really put the rest to the OD chatter on this board. william, what do you say?

11. Thanksmike881881, TEXASCRVs thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuber View Post
    Wow, are you sure about using a block heater stop your OD problem??? I am trying to find a correlation between my insulation method (posted in another thread) and my observation about my OD situation (had OD but not anymore). This could be very exciting!
    To me, the block heater reducing oil dilution makes sense. It's actually very closely related to your insulation method in that the engine (and oil) stay at a higher temperature for a longer period of time when the engine has been shut down. I would think keeping the CR-V in a heated garage would reduce oil dilution as well, unfortunately I can't afford that option...

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuber View Post
    1. Agree. If you do research on PCV, you would understand why extensive idling is not good for OD.
    2. Agree. This is what Honda has been preaching (cold engine = OD).
    3. No comment
    4. Hmm, some people bought the CRV for MPG. Some people want their car to last a long time. Some people are under restrictions and can't drive aggressively (like me because I'm in a program with my insurance that monitor my driving in exchange for lower rate). Multiple reasons why this is not a good suggestion.
    5. I don't understand the "drive more" suggestion. Does this mean "go out of your way to drive 30 minutes for what supposes to be a 5 minute trip" or "Do a lot of unnecessary trips"?
    #4, Do you guys not get good gas mileage while driving harder? My first year averaged 31.5 mpg and I'm pretty close to the same for the last 5 months. But I only use premium no ethanol.
    #5 If you are viewing the LTFT, you can access your situation better to see if you need to drive more or harder. I understand this upsets people, but I don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like it.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInPa View Post
    The ignore feature works great.
    The only problem is when someone who is not ignored quotes a post by one of the ignored.
    But, yes, you are wasting your time arguing with dyldo.
    LOL, Bob, so true. I ignore another guy and when someone quoted him, I still have to see his garbage.

15. Thanksgmanjeff, rd082298 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    #4, Do you guys not get good gas mileage while driving harder? My first year averaged 31.5 mpg and I'm pretty close to the same for the last 5 months. But I only use premium no ethanol.
    #5 If you are viewing the LTFT, you can access your situation better to see if you need to drive more or harder. I understand this upsets people, but I don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like it.
    4. Eh, correct. Common sense, right? Aggressive driving (floor the pedal, accelerate hard) will reduce your MPG, not to mention more wear and tear. Unless you have a CRV that defies common sense, then I would like to purchase it from you.

5. You didn't answer my question. What does "drive more" mean?

17. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements