Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1 - Page 184
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  983
Page 184 of 196 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1960

Thread: Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    It has sure been a LONG time since there has been any new info in this thread but it continues to grow and grow and grow.

* Same half-dozen posters saying they hate Honda and the 1.5L.
    * Same half-dozen posters saying drive it and enjoy it. Leave it up to Honda if it breaks.

* People saying look at my oil test readings, the engine won't last the week.
    * People saying look at the test readings all you want, but report back when you really have a problem.

* People saying I just bought this car or better yet saying should I buy this car?
    * People saying I loved everything about this car, until I found this thread.

In short, nothing changes, and nothing new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXASCRVs View Post
    Long but interesting video. A good summary of what owners with OD have experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SysCPTXJZLg
    Pretty well sums up how I see things...Honda is “dropping the ball”. In our case, it’s 2 vehicles so will take a bit longer to also trade-out of them. RAV4 or Forester are our “leanings”

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by crv affair View Post
    Just thought I'd check my oil post the product update back on Feb 1, 2019. Was one of the coldest months on record here in Calgary, regular 87 fuel, short trips with very little idle time and oh ya used the block heater.

3600 kms (2236 miles) and all looks good.

Attachment 129727
    So where would you say is your oli level - just below the second notch?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGAlover View Post
    It has sure been a LONG time since there has been any new info in this thread but it continues to grow and grow and grow.

In short, nothing changes, and nothing new.
    I have a lot of unresolved feelings over the issues I have had. So I haven't posted.

I took my car in for an oil change on April 3rd, mentioned the whirling noise once again, said I originally thought it was a water pump but I am reading that camshafts can make the noise too.

They looked at it, gave me a loaner and said, we're going to order parts. Now I know for sure I won't be buying a Nissan Rouge. It was nice as a loaner, but too flawed to own...

Friday I took a call asking if keeping the car to Tuesday is ok. Sure, get 'er done. Was told rocker arms were out of stock in North America.

Get the car back Tuesday, ok, cool. Was driving to get on the freeway and the display threw me several errors, Power Steering EPS problem, Vehicle Stability Assist VSA problem, TPMS Problem, Auto Hi-Beam Problem. Adaptive Cuisse Control Problem, and a few more.

Ok, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. Next morning, it was all cleared. No more errors, so I didn't call. Friday comes, well, getting on the freeway Friday night it decided to throw me every error in the book, EPS, VSA, TPMS, HI, ACC, Hill Start Assist, AWD system, Road Departure Mitigation, Electronic Parking Break, Emissions System, Brake System, Break Hold System, and maybe a few more. CEL is lit, BRAKE is flashing, Braking System is lit, it's full Christmas tree. It's driving like it's stuck in low gear, reduced power so I am assuming it's in limp home mode.

Saturday, get in, all errors are cleared again. Drove to my accountant to pick up my taxes, half way: ACC Disabled. ACC Problem, EPS Problem, TPMS Problem, etc. Ok. Gonna have to take it in Monday, this looks like something that will not clear itself. This morning. No lights, drove it on the freeway, no errors. I am going to take it for a little exercise in a little bit to see if it's just "They pulled the battery and things have to settle" or "I need a software update here." Well, I am sure I need a software update, there's a TSB about systems throwing what I believe are phantom errors. But I made it 34,000 miles without these errors, so, like I said, maybe pulling the battery for a long stretch triggered something.

So anyway, bad OD, twice the oil level was about an inch over full. Had the software update Dec 31st, 2018, oil change, January oil levels stayed constant even though we're 10 below zero, oil looked amazingly clean. February started to rise again, got to an inch above full and by the end of the month it was back down to where the dealer filled it (top of orange monster), oil changed dark. March, it was up and down. Really looked at the oil good April 1st, I'm thinking it's kind of translucent, watery looking. Set up oil change on HondaLink app. Ended up with two new camshafts, rocker arms, camshaft bearings, misc parts, etc. Told warranty has been extended to six years, unlimited miles.

So I am going out to exercise it and if it throws me errors, I'm making another appointment.

Let's just say I've been driving since 1985, this is the first car where I had a camshaft replaced, lots of water pumps but never a camshaft. I had a 1999 Acura 2.3CL, I hear from the owner it's doing great. Had a 1987 Plymouth Sundance, thats still going according to my uncle. Had a '85 Dodge Omni, that one is junked. Had a '06 Dodge Grand Caravan, was rear ended and totaled with 169,000 miles on it. Not thinking this CR-V is gonna make the record books, or the "good" record books. I really love this car though.

-Ron
    Last edited by 4kushner; 04-14-2019 at 05:00 PM.

7. Thanksjtuber thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Long but interesting video. A good summary of what owners with OD have experienced.

Finally watched it. He hits the nail on the head! Sad but true.

9. Thanksdstein thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for posting this, TEXASCRVs!

This guy stayed calm, and presented his experiences. For those who have this severe of an issue, this sure seems to sum it up well. Like the guy in the video said, however, not all have it...or have it much less severely. I certainly don't understand why. And I suspect that Honda may not either. But I agree, it sure seems like Honda ought to be able to find a fix, and find a way to better communicate, both publicly, and individually to owners.
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

11. Thanksmike881881, dstein thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Have been considering a 2019 CRV. Just became aware of the oil dilution issue. Has Honda fixed this in the 2019s??

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksrus View Post
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Have been considering a 2019 CRV. Just became aware of the oil dilution issue. Has Honda fixed this in the 2019s??
    NO it has not!!!! I would look elsewhere!

avs
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohari View Post
    I’ve got ~57k miles and followed the MM which averages to about 7k miles not factoring the last oil change, which I did after only 300 miles.

This is good news IMO. The carbon could have been dust that fell in, or was being deposited in that one spot. If anyone has a recommended spot where I can snake the scope to view the intake valve let me know and I’ll post the pics.

If I lived in a place with -30 degrees weather. I would never keep this car. I would absolutely buy a pickup or a diesel with a oil warmer or cabin heater. Pretty sure you can install those in the crv as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Take out the map sensor on the intake manifold and you can snake a boroscope thru the opening.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4kushner View Post
    I have a lot of unresolved feelings over the issues I have had. So I haven't posted.

I took my car in for an oil change on April 3rd, mentioned the whirling noise once again, said I originally thought it was a water pump but I am reading that camshafts can make the noise too.

They looked at it, gave me a loaner and said, we're going to order parts. Now I know for sure I won't be buying a Nissan Rouge. It was nice as a loaner, but too flawed to own...

Friday I took a call asking if keeping the car to Tuesday is ok. Sure, get 'er done. Was told rocker arms were out of stock in North America.

Get the car back Tuesday, ok, cool. Was driving to get on the freeway and the display threw me several errors, Power Steering EPS problem, Vehicle Stability Assist VSA problem, TPMS Problem, Auto Hi-Beam Problem. Adaptive Cuisse Control Problem, and a few more.

Ok, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. Next morning, it was all cleared. No more errors, so I didn't call. Friday comes, well, getting on the freeway Friday night it decided to throw me every error in the book, EPS, VSA, TPMS, HI, ACC, Hill Start Assist, AWD system, Road Departure Mitigation, Electronic Parking Break, Emissions System, Brake System, Break Hold System, and maybe a few more. CEL is lit, BRAKE is flashing, Braking System is lit, it's full Christmas tree. It's driving like it's stuck in low gear, reduced power so I am assuming it's in limp home mode.

Saturday, get in, all errors are cleared again. Drove to my accountant to pick up my taxes, half way: ACC Disabled. ACC Problem, EPS Problem, TPMS Problem, etc. Ok. Gonna have to take it in Monday, this looks like something that will not clear itself. This morning. No lights, drove it on the freeway, no errors. I am going to take it for a little exercise in a little bit to see if it's just "They pulled the battery and things have to settle" or "I need a software update here." Well, I am sure I need a software update, there's a TSB about systems throwing what I believe are phantom errors. But I made it 34,000 miles without these errors, so, like I said, maybe pulling the battery for a long stretch triggered something.

So anyway, bad OD, twice the oil level was about an inch over full. Had the software update Dec 31st, 2018, oil change, January oil levels stayed constant even though we're 10 below zero, oil looked amazingly clean. February started to rise again, got to an inch above full and by the end of the month it was back down to where the dealer filled it (top of orange monster), oil changed dark. March, it was up and down. Really looked at the oil good April 1st, I'm thinking it's kind of translucent, watery looking. Set up oil change on HondaLink app. Ended up with two new camshafts, rocker arms, camshaft bearings, misc parts, etc. Told warranty has been extended to six years, unlimited miles.

So I am going out to exercise it and if it throws me errors, I'm making another appointment.

Let's just say I've been driving since 1985, this is the first car where I had a camshaft replaced, lots of water pumps but never a camshaft. I had a 1999 Acura 2.3CL, I hear from the owner it's doing great. Had a 1987 Plymouth Sundance, thats still going according to my uncle. Had a '85 Dodge Omni, that one is junked. Had a '06 Dodge Grand Caravan, was rear ended and totaled with 169,000 miles on it. Not thinking this CR-V is gonna make the record books, or the "good" record books. I really love this car though.

-Ron
    It seems to be the common theme on here. We all love our CRV but those teething problems for a Honda ...

16. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements