Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1 - Page 186
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

    Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
     
Thanks Thanks:  965
Page 186 of 191 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1906

Thread: Oil Dilution and associated matters _ Volume 1

  1. #1851
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by CRV-Owner View Post
    I am In ontario and I put got a block heater last summer......this winter was the best... OD stopped the first night I used it,,,remote start it in morning and walk out to a warm car wihin minutes.....got lazy last couple weeks and didnt use it....around minus 2 celcus and OD starting rising.....Its so nice I plan on keeping this CRV for a long time...best 265 dollars I spent on it
    In as much as I wanted to believe you, I am still not sure if you were a bit over-exaggerating. Not sure how you could tell if OD stopped after 1 night of using the heater, or resumed after you stopped using it, unless your oil level increases at a rate that you could tell the difference in the levels with your eyes. It's inconceivable.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

  3. #1852
    crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,329
    Thanks (Received)
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuber View Post
    In as much as I wanted to believe you, I am still not sure if you were a bit over-exaggerating. Not sure how you could tell if OD stopped after 1 night of using the heater, or resumed after you stopped using it, unless your oil level increases at a rate that you could tell the difference in the levels with your eyes. It's inconceivable.
    Perhaps, go back and read CRV-Owner's early posts. IIRC, he was very upset about the OD and lack of cabin heat...he didn't want to spend the money the block heater was going to cost. I may have the wrong poster, or maybe a slightly different memory, but that is how I remember it. No guarantee, but go back and read them. It's worth a few minutes, yes?

    Just in case you didn't know this: click on his user name, and then "view forum posts"
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

  4. #1853
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
    Perhaps, go back and read CRV-Owner's early posts. IIRC, he was very upset about the OD and lack of cabin heat...he didn't want to spend the money the block heater was going to cost. I may have the wrong poster, or maybe a slightly different memory, but that is how I remember it. No guarantee, but go back and read them. It's worth a few minutes, yes?

    Just in case you didn't know this: click on his user name, and then "view forum posts"
    I didn't doubt he had OD. I just had a hard time believing he could tell that OD stopped after 1 night of using the heater. That's all. Let him explain.

  5. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

  7. #1854
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    89
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuber View Post
    Might be too early to make any definitive conclusion. If you are willing to help the rest of us out, keep going for another tank or two of regular gas and report back. I myself is using regular gas right now after using super unlead plus the insulation method and not experiencing the OD issue. I made the switch to see if it matters and will continue to use regular gas until I find something.
    Absolutely agree with you. I’ve been through too much to just switch now. Takes at least 1.5 tanks to see if it stabilizes.

    To the commenter above about a spot to inspect the valves from. If by map you mean maf, the throttle body still gets in the way IIRC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #1855
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    780
    Thanks (Received)
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohari View Post
    Absolutely agree with you. I’ve been through too much to just switch now. Takes at least 1.5 tanks to see if it stabilizes.

    To the commenter above about a spot to inspect the valves from. If by map you mean maf, the throttle body still gets in the way IIRC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm assuming he meant MAP sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure.

  9. #1856
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    780
    Thanks (Received)
    193
    So just providing more of my Long Term Fuel Trim Experience.

    Pic #1 is Sunday Sunny 70 degrees Highway driving.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190412-161617.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  27.8 KB

    Pic #2 is Monday afternoon 75 Sunny and lots of stop and go traffic.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190415-173610.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  29.2 KB

    As you can see, I had almost an 8% LTFT shift. This basically happened during the course of the afternoon.

    After I noticed the -7.8% I drove it pretty hard on the way home and this morning.

    I was able to shift it from -7.8% to -2.3% in town. Just adding more data to the conversation. Still looking at a couple possibilities:
    1. I have an air leak at idle,
    2. Our tuning at idle sucks.
    or as i theorized
    3. LTFT is a good indicator of oil dilution.

  10. ThanksThonda thanked for this post
  11. #1857
    avs
    avs is offline
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    84
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by UMRdyldo View Post
    So just providing more of my Long Term Fuel Trim Experience.

    Pic #1 is Sunday Sunny 70 degrees Highway driving.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190412-161617.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  27.8 KB

    Pic #2 is Monday afternoon 75 Sunny and lots of stop and go traffic.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190415-173610.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  29.2 KB

    As you can see, I had almost an 8% LTFT shift. This basically happened during the course of the afternoon.

    After I noticed the -7.8% I drove it pretty hard on the way home and this morning.

    I was able to shift it from -7.8% to -2.3% in town. Just adding more data to the conversation. Still looking at a couple possibilities:
    1. I have an air leak at idle,
    2. Our tuning at idle sucks.
    or as i theorized
    3. LTFT is a good indicator of oil dilution.
    Have you try running 93 octane vs 87 octane? Any difference?

  12. #1858
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    780
    Thanks (Received)
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
    Have you try running 93 octane vs 87 octane? Any difference?
    I am running 91 no ethanol about 80% of the time.

  13. #1859
    crv|oc Rank: Junior CRV-Owner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    621
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuber View Post
    In as much as I wanted to believe you, I am still not sure if you were a bit over-exaggerating. Not sure how you could tell if OD stopped after 1 night of using the heater, or resumed after you stopped using it, unless your oil level increases at a rate that you could tell the difference in the levels with your eyes. It's inconceivable.
    your welcome to read my old posts...bought it in Oct 2017 and when it got cold it was terrible with the OD(free oil changes) and long HWY trips every couple days trying to keep oil level down and no heat...then in Oct 2018 they did the fix and was happy with it as it seemed to warm up a little better and OD seemed to level off(modified dipstick that is easy to read)....untill end of Nov and the real winter weather kicked in and oil level jumped 1/2 inch overfull....went and had oil change and starting using block heater(pain in the butt to use as plug is behind the plate and hard for old man to bend down,but I did it)...so DEC to mid March the oil level never moved and car was always warm to start so really no driving without heat and bars on temp gauge...mid March it wasn't that bad weather wise and got lazy and didn't use block heater and less than a week later I checked oil and about 1/4 high and smelled like gas?....so use your judgement...first winter was terrible with OD and no and I mean no heat......fix seemed to help,but realized when the cold weather hit us,,,it really did nothing....then using the block heater , the oil level stayed same for approx 5 months never moved? and had heat backing out the driveway and bars soon......but remember I am retired so the CRV only had warm starts not like if I was working and it sat outside all day and then had a cold start 5 days.....its sad because I believe it works,but the cost to get it may be out of reach for some and most dont have a way or place to plug it in at nights,but like a said in some post try and get your dealer to pay for it or if you buying one get the dealer to add it in with no cost to you......actually very happy with it now and plan on keeping it till I am gone
    2018 CRV LX AWD
    2008 Tucson FWD
    2008 Shopright Mobility 4 wheel Scooter....just blew the transaxle....motoring days are finished

  14. Thanksjtuber, JB in AZ, MGAlover thanked for this post
  15. #1860
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by CRV-Owner View Post
    your welcome to read my old posts...bought it in Oct 2017 and when it got cold it was terrible with the OD(free oil changes) and long HWY trips every couple days trying to keep oil level down and no heat...then in Oct 2018 they did the fix and was happy with it as it seemed to warm up a little better and OD seemed to level off(modified dipstick that is easy to read)....untill end of Nov and the real winter weather kicked in and oil level jumped 1/2 inch overfull....went and had oil change and starting using block heater(pain in the butt to use as plug is behind the plate and hard for old man to bend down,but I did it)...so DEC to mid March the oil level never moved and car was always warm to start so really no driving without heat and bars on temp gauge...mid March it wasn't that bad weather wise and got lazy and didn't use block heater and less than a week later I checked oil and about 1/4 high and smelled like gas?....so use your judgement...first winter was terrible with OD and no and I mean no heat......fix seemed to help,but realized when the cold weather hit us,,,it really did nothing....then using the block heater , the oil level stayed same for approx 5 months never moved? and had heat backing out the driveway and bars soon......but remember I am retired so the CRV only had warm starts not like if I was working and it sat outside all day and then had a cold start 5 days.....its sad because I believe it works,but the cost to get it may be out of reach for some and most dont have a way or place to plug it in at nights,but like a said in some post try and get your dealer to pay for it or if you buying one get the dealer to add it in with no cost to you......actually very happy with it now and plan on keeping it till I am gone
    Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it. I never questioned if you had OD or not. I was just asking if your statement "OD stopped the first night I used it" was accurate or not. That's all. So with your heater, what was your driving pattern when you were using it and when it was cold? Did you drive somewhere, park for a long time (the engine got cold) like going to work, and then drive home w/o the heater pre-warming the engine? Or your trips never allowed the engine to completely cool off before you drove back home? Or did you always preheat the engine before every cold start etc.? I am just trying to compare my insulation approach with your heater to see why my OD has stopped too.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. SN Plus Motor Oil – Oil Dilution
    By mike881881 in forum Problems & Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-21-2019, 09:11 PM
  2. Oil Dilution Fix - Oil charge $
    By jimbod in forum 2017 - Present Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 5)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM
  3. Did having TSB 18-1X4 Oil Dilution Software Update applied effect your Oil Dilution?
    By BobInPa in forum 2017 - Present Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 5)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM
  4. 2017 CR-V 1.5 T Engine high oil volume/fuel in oil problem - got me!!
    By rickfrick1 in forum 2017 - Present Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 5)
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 04-21-2018, 03:07 PM
  5. Size Matters
    By ObsidianBlue2017 in forum 2017 - Present Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 5)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0