crv 2018 heater fan stopped working
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crv 2018 heater fan stopped working

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

crv 2018 heater fan stopped working

When I turned the car on, a lot of noise (racket) was coming from the area of the glove box. The noise continued for a few minutes and just stopped. I noticed after, that the fan for the heater stopped working. Is it possible for a mouse or small squirrel to have left it's treasure in the fan and ruined it? Or possibly a manufacturing defect. There hasn't been any evidence of mice in the vehicle all winter.
    First the recall, now this, and car hasn't even had it's first oil change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm guessing a rodent infestation. It should be easy to tell.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debmydeb View Post
    When I turned the car on, a lot of noise (racket) was coming from the area of the glove box. The noise continued for a few minutes and just stopped. I noticed after, that the fan for the heater stopped working. Is it possible for a mouse or small squirrel to have left it's treasure in the fan and ruined it? Or possibly a manufacturing defect. There hasn't been any evidence of mice in the vehicle all winter.
    First the recall, now this, and car hasn't even had it's first oil change.
    Remove the cabin air filter which is readily accessible behind the glove box. It's possible something got down there and penetrated the filter as there's no intake screen. If the fan is obstructed, I doubt the motor is ruined. The fuse is probably blown.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for the input. The mechanic looked at the air filter and it had been chewed up by rodents. The chewed up pieces got into the fan/motor and burned the motor out. Why in the world is there no screen on the air intake? I'm not a happy Honda owner. My previous vehicle was a Forester, mice got into the cab every year, but never caused significant, only chewed up any paper that was laying around.

7. ThanksMMA_DON thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debmydeb View Post
    Thanks for the input. The mechanic looked at the air filter and it had been chewed up by rodents. The chewed up pieces got into the fan/motor and burned the motor out. Why in the world is there no screen on the air intake? I'm not a happy Honda owner. My previous vehicle was a Forester, mice got into the cab every year, but never caused significant, only chewed up any paper that was laying around.
    Thanks for the feedback. Others have had the same issue and questioned the lack of a screen.
    I'm also surprised there's no thermal overload to protect the fan motor.

Moral of the story: If the vent fan starts making a racket, shut it off right away and check the cabin filter. Here's a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eWV_ruumCk

Thanks (Received)
    They are likely getting in by chewing on the tubes or the recirculating air intake.

You really need a professional pest control company to bait the foundation of your home and also traps inside your garage.

10. Thanksrobbyg thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Is this not the HVAC fresh air intake (base of windshield driver's side)?????

Name:  HPIM3696.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  37.6 KB

How does a rodent get thru that?

Isn't the recirculate air intake inside the cab, under the dash?
    2017 stripped EX-L - unmolested by the dealership
    Built July 2017, Indiana USA

MAN LAW - raise your hood once a week and have a look

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by crv383 View Post
    Is this not the HVAC fresh air intake (base of windshield driver's side)?????

Name:  HPIM3696.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  37.6 KB

How does a rodent get thru that?

Isn't the recirculate air intake inside the cab, under the dash?
    Is it? I am not 100% sure but would love to know?

Rob
    2018 White Diamond Pearl 1.5T AWD Black Leather, Panoramic Sun Roof, All LED Lighting and Made in Thailand.

Thanks (Received)
    Pretty sure it is.
    2017 stripped EX-L - unmolested by the dealership
    Built July 2017, Indiana USA

MAN LAW - raise your hood once a week and have a look

Thanks (Received)
    The fresh air intake is located on the passenger side directly above the blower. You have to remove the plastic cowling to see the opening. There are large drainage openings on the driver / passenger side fenders that allow water that gets behind the cowling to drain off. That how the mice get in. The reason the grill in the cowling is located on the driver side is to prevent water entering the grill from getting sucked into the actual air intake. One day honda may wise up and put a $0.50 grill over the intake to keep rodents out of the cabin, but I doubt it. I know all my previous jeeps had a grill over the actual intake for that very reason.

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast