Motorweek Comparison of top selling 2019 Compact SUV's - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  9
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motorweek Comparison of top selling 2019 Compact SUV's

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
    But on a new model, their approach brakes down. The characteristics of the new model may result in very different reliability than the previous model. The third year may be different from the first. And by the time CR gets the data and publishes, you may be almost to the new model's introduction.
    No disagreement with respect to predicted reliability, and they will tell you that right up front. Plus it is true for any review or analysis of a new gen model release of an auto, by any organization or review team.

What distinguishes them is the depth of data gathering and analysis on past years of the same vehicle and predictions based on that. So.. your choices are to figure it out on your own, or leverage CR for the best historical data AND their new car review of the new gen model. For example.. in prior years, on at least two new generations of Civic.... CR has advised buyers to pass on the model, based on their new car test drive and review. They do have the most consistent and robust new car review process in the industry.
    Last edited by williamsji; 04-07-2019 at 07:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I didn't realize how well the Nissan Rogue and Chevy Equinox were selling. Within the CUV category, they have been holding the #1 and 2 positions ahead of the CRV and Rav4. Looks like the Rogue is losing market share while the Equinox, CRV, and Rav4 are slowly gaining for Q1 2019.

Rogue 93,814
    Equinox 88,500
    CRV 87,280
    RAV4 83,8320

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/...sults-q1-2019/
    Last edited by az_crv; 04-18-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    2017 CRV Touring AWD Lunar Silver

crv|oc Rank: Member Sportyaccordy's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoConChile View Post
    I love the look of the Tiguan however VW reliability scares me to death.
    Yes indeed. Frightening

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by williamsji View Post
    I very much agree. CR is always my starting point when beginning a car shopping exercise (and many other expensive purchases).
    CR's method of helping the consumer no longer works and that is why it is almost a dead publication.

Up to fifteen years ago it was a very relevant magazine as you could get a good idea if a product was good or not. Then things started to change as companies started to release new product models every year if not sooner. This of course was not the case with cars but how often do you buy a new car. For house hold items like TV's, Electronics, Fridges and washing machines their long term reliability reports are useless. You can't even buy the model they tested by time they release the info!
    For new cars you have to wait until the model is out for a year or two before CR has any useful data. By then you can read tons of reports on other websites for free.
    2018 White Diamond Pearl 1.5T AWD Black Leather, Panoramic Sun Roof, All LED Lighting and Made in Thailand.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_crv View Post
    I didn't realize how well the Nissan Rogue and Chevy Equinox were selling. Within the CUV category, they have been holding the #1 and 2 positions ahead of the CRV and Rav4. Looks like the Rogue is losing market share while the Equinox, CRV, and Rav4 are slowly gaining for Q1 2019.

Rogue 93,814
    Equinox 88,500
    CRV 87,280
    RAV4 83,8320

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/...sults-q1-2019/
    And of course, the only one of these that is not sold (or not sold in significant numbers) to fleet/rental agencies? Right. CR-V.

My next door neighbor is a winter visitor from Alaska. He is leaving next week to go back to the frozen north. He asked me If I wanted to drive his new (had 4 miles on it when he rented it 3 months ago) Rouge rental before he returns it next week. I drove it, it isn't bad... I can see why it might sell in big numbers, but the point is, he said there were 7-8 of them all in a row at the rental agency he used at the airport. He does the winter visitor thing every year, and said he has always looked for a CRV to rent and has never seen one.
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
    My next door neighbor is a winter visitor from Alaska. He is leaving next week to go back to the frozen north. He asked me If I wanted to drive his new (had 4 miles on it when he rented it 3 months ago) Rouge rental before he returns it next week. I drove it, it isn't bad... I can see why it might sell in big numbers, but the point is, he said there were 7-8 of them all in a row at the rental agency he used at the airport. He does the winter visitor thing every year, and said he has always looked for a CRV to rent and has never seen one.
    You should have tried to sell your "Snow Bird" neighbor your old CR-V. A 3 month rental every year has to get expensive!

My dad used to spend every winter in Phoenix, so he bought an old Eldo to drive while he was there. Cars in your area never rust, their interiors just melt, which is an easier fix.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in AZ View Post
    And of course, the only one of these that is not sold (or not sold in significant numbers) to fleet/rental agencies? Right. CR-V.

Probably a larger player in the CRV being 3rd - sales incentives as US car sales to rental car businesses have been down the last couple of years with the growth of Uber, Lyft, and other issues. Some say the car rental biz and even auto ownership will decline in the coming years. I'm not so sure about the latter.
    Last edited by az_crv; 04-19-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    2017 CRV Touring AWD Lunar Silver

10. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    CR's method of helping the consumer no longer works and that is why it is almost a dead publication.

Up to fifteen years ago it was a very relevant magazine as you could get a good idea if a product was good or not. Then things started to change as companies started to release new product models every year if not sooner. This of course was not the case with cars but how often do you buy a new car. For house hold items like TV's, Electronics, Fridges and washing machines their long term reliability reports are useless. You can't even buy the model they tested by time they release the info!
    For new cars you have to wait until the model is out for a year or two before CR has any useful data. By then you can read tons of reports on other websites for free.
    The consumer market has definitely evolved over time, but so has CRs methodology and data gathering to deal with it. For consumer products like say.. laptops, smart phones, TVs, appliances, etc..... it's not a particular model review you want to follow at CR (you can get those reviews from a range of sources as to features, etc).... but rather their tracking data on brand reliability and support ... which they have been focusing on more and more over time. Take laptops for example.... while I can go to a variety of laptop review sites to understand feature reviews in detail ... I still go to CR to look up Brand reliability tracking over time. They are the only ones that gather and maintain long term reliability data on Brands and while that is not specifically useful for a specific model of laptop... it is very much applicable for the Brand of laptop in terms of reliability, support, and service.

As for motor vehicles, I find CR to be just as good as they were a decade ago in terms of vehicle reviews, in some ways better because of how they breakdown subcategories of their scoring now days. What makes them better then other sources in my view is that they follow a very specific process and criteria for reviewing and rating vehicles, whereas I find other review sites tend to get wrapped around their personal priorities or bias in reviews. CR also buys their test vehicles from randomly selected dealers, so there is no ability for the manufacturer to "salt" the review by cherry picking a vehicle. This gives the reader more consistency in review data, especially when comparing different vehicles. That said.. the most important part of CRs vehicle reviews is not who they rate number one or two in a category, but rather which vehicles they tag as "recommended" and/or "best value" in their ranking, which lets you quickly see who the top 5 or 6 recommendations are, and then review their detailed assessments and narrow down possible choices to actually go and test drive.

What I do NOT use CR for anymore is their car buying service, because I find TrueCar to be a much better provider of this service now days. TrueCar hooked me up with a better deal with a local dealer (and faster too) then CR or Costco did ... hands down.

CR of course used to be all print focused... but like every other publication to consumers print is in severe decline so their real value now is their online resources because they are more timely and up to date, as well as easily searchable on demand. Having an online account with them also means you get regular email updates on new reviews and advice on a wide range of consumer categories.

12. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
    You should have tried to sell your "Snow Bird" neighbor your old CR-V. A 3 month rental every year has to get expensive!

My dad used to spend every winter in Phoenix, so he bought an old Eldo to drive while he was there. Cars in your area never rust, their interiors just melt, which is an easier fix.
    LOL. Rust? What's that? Ironically, he WAS interested in buying our 15 Escape, which I had originally planned on trading in on the RDX. He often comments about the cost of renting a car for the 6 months, (he's actually here 6 months, but apparently, the rental car agencies will only rent for a 3 month period). I guess if he can afford to own two homes....

We went out to dinner with him and his wife last night, he drove the '19 Rouge SV, (no moon roof, no leather, no GPS) and we sat in the back, possibly as roomy as CR-V. I felt it is actually not a bad car, but apparently owner satisfaction is below average.
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_crv View Post
    Probably a larger player in the CRV being 3rd - sales incentives as US car sales to rental car businesses have been down the last couple of years with the growth of Uber, Lyft, and other issues. Some say the car rental biz and even auto ownership will decline in the coming years. I'm not so sure about the latter.
    Excellent points.
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast