Anyone hear of a aftermarket head unit install on a 5th Gen? - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone hear of a aftermarket head unit install on a 5th Gen?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    True but the difference is with eBay most users typically use PayPal and that gives you a lot of confidence that if the seller sends you junk you can get a refund. Alibaba on the other hand has some sort of system that says once you receive the item they pay the seller. I see no way to resolve issues after that. It might be possible but from this side of the world is it gonna be worth it.
    I'm not saying you won't get your refund, but if you return bulky and heavy stuff, it will be expensive to return. Our couriers cost a lot more than theirs. Thus your net return is provably half or worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimagaina View Post
    Correct, I now realize that I posted links to Alibaba, instead of Aliexpress. Sorry for that. The previous two headunits I bought were from Aliexpress, indeed.

Buying from abroad involves some risks, of course, but if there are no better options around, maybe these risks are worth taking. Even Aliexpress sellers are keen to preserve their reputation.

I can only report my own positive experience with Aliexpress, if that matters to anyone.
    Okay, I'll play your silly game - where is your report? What units did you buy, at what cost, what did they go into, how long did they last, how did they work out overall, etc.? I have seen some YouTube reviews recently of some newer models that are starting to sound pretty good, with dsp and other advanced features for better audio. Like improved quality.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    True but the difference is with eBay most users typically use PayPal and that gives you a lot of confidence that if the seller sends you junk you can get a refund. Alibaba on the other hand has some sort of system that says once you receive the item they pay the seller. I see no way to resolve issues after that. It might be possible but from this side of the world is it gonna be worth it.
    Robbyg,

I have no more problems getting refunds from aliexpress than ebay/paypal.

I've ordered more from aliexpress than ebay in the past few years. Some sellers actually post on both. Usually I found the same item cheaper on aliexpress (in CAN$ after conversion). For free shipping of cheap stuff, aliexpress may make you wait longer then ebay before you can raise a dispute on order not receive though.

On aliexpress we confirm receiving the item and then we can still raise a dispute 15 days after the confirmation if anything goes wrong. Getting a refund when an order not showing up or something wrong showing up is not an issue on aliexpress. It had been serving me better than ebay/paypal.

Have you ever ordered on aliexpress?

If you are talking about warranty services after sales, that is the limitation of online purchase. The seller provides warranty not aliexpress nor ebay. Shipping cost from Canada here is very expensive. Usually it costs more to ship anything back for repair/replacement than buying a new one unless you order something expensive or there is a local service center to serve you. Seller may disappear after selling a lot of junks too...

Paypal just adds another layer in between. I raised a dispute on the credit card transaction when aliexpress, ebay and paypal did not sort out or took too long to sort out a dispute. My credit is the last resort, not paypal.

Sometimes proving product defects to make a warranty claim may also be difficult too, just like Honda US rejecting lack of heat and excessive OD issues on CR-V.

Hence you shouldn't buy any CR-V's on ebay or aliexpress.
    Last edited by wasp09; 04-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBLee View Post
    agree, its a buyers beware market, like anywhere else, online or local stores. The big advantage with Amazon is you can easily return it (they have local drop-offs for free), but with Alibaba/Ebay, it will cost you to return stuff....
    I agree.

It comes down to trust level for the merchant site AND... trust in the individual merchant selling via said merchant site. When buying from Amazon for example, there can be a notable difference between Ships&Sold by Amazon, Fulfilled by Amazon for a 3rd party seller, and ships&sold by seller. Amazon will stand behind any issues for anything they sell directly, and anything they fulfill on behalf of a 3rd party merchant. Amazon will not stand behind a product shipped&sold by a 3rd party other then to act as dispute mediator. Amazon also has fairly credible reviews and reporting from buyers on particular products and who sold them... but sellers have figured out how to game the review system as well and as such... even with Amazon... it's buyer beware and intelligent and thoughtful understanding when reading customer reviews is more and more required where Amazon is concerned.

With respect to various comments about Alibaba, etc. overseas merchant sites.... North America buyers have to be even more careful because of a range of expectation mismatches due to differences in culture, selling and buying practices, regulations, etc. With the Alibabas of the world.. you absolutely must know and trust the selling party (because it's not Alibaba, which is for the most part just a selling platform for 3rd parties.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Okay, I'll play your silly game - where is your report? What units did you buy, at what cost, what did they go into, how long did they last, how did they work out overall, etc.? I have seen some YouTube reviews recently of some newer models that are starting to sound pretty good, with dsp and other advanced features for better audio. Like improved quality.
    I really don't understand why you think I'm playing a "silly game".

Here is a snapshot of my Aliexpress orders page:

Name:  aliexpress.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  31.7 KB

The first one went in my old 2013 VW Tiguan and the second one in my wife's 2012 RAV4.
    Both are connected to the internet through a T-Mobile Syncup-Drive WiFi hotspot (but a dedicated LTE module can be purchased separately. I chose not to, since I already had the syncup drive)

This is the one from my old Tiguan:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCD5...558953904.html
    (The one in my wife's RAV4 is not sold anymore by that seller)

This is how it looked like after installation:
    Name:  IMAG0478.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  37.8 KB

I had Waze, Audible, Amazon Music, Youtube, Amazon Prime video and other apps installed on my old Tiguan HU. The HU has a Canbus decoder, enabling steering wheel controls and it displayed various car sensors on the screen.
    I liked the dedicated subwoofer RCA output talking directly to an under-seat Kenwood subwoofer. Yes, the HU has a helpful built-in 9 bands equalizer.
    Of course, it has input for the back-up camera and for another video stream (TV tuner). It has 2 usb inputs in the back and one in the front. It has 2 slots for miniSD cards (one can be used for offline maps, if you want to)
    It can also mirror the smartphone, but I didn't have to, since all my needed apps were already on the HU.

It even has a DVD player, but it doesn't have HD radio, if that's an issue.

Both units were delivered pretty fast by DHL, after a week or so.
    Last edited by ultimagaina; 04-23-2019 at 06:35 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345