Prisoners in the enemy camp - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  19
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prisoners in the enemy camp

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I once bought a Mazda truck from an Acura dealer.........

2. Thankscrv383 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Cars are a personal thing. As I have always told people, if there were ever "One best car" then they would sell like crazy and everyone else would go out of business. Its not at all uncommon to see one buy a new car, have zero issues with it but just not "connect" with it. Local guy bought a almost new CR-V from a local Ford dealer. Older gent bought the CR-V as he had read so much about them and their great fuel efficiency. But he just couldn't stand it as it just seemed "too small" for him. With something like only 5,000 miles on it he traded it in at a Ford dealer for the vehicle he really wanted....a new F-150 Pick up. It happens.

5. Thankscrv383 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIVADUDE View Post
    I once bought a Mazda truck from an Acura dealer.........
    I once bought a GMC truck from a Mazda dealer..........
    2017 stripped EX-L - unmolested by the dealership
    Built July 2017, Indiana USA

MAN LAW - raise your hood once a week and have a look

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Car Dealerships do not generally get the cars on their used car lots from their own trade-ins. Standard practice is to send those to auction, and buy the cars at auction that do wind up on the used lot. Exceptions are made, but usually only when an employee is interested in a trade-in. It's a method based on percentages, as many trade-ins will be hiding defects. Of course, the used car buyer faces an auction lot full of the same kinds of trade-ins, but he then has a crew of runners that inspect the cars he likes for a list of defects. The idea is to get rid of as many defect problems and undesirable trades as possible, and then re-acquire as few as he can. Most of the time they do come out ahead. Any money they make on a trade-in is money they've already made in the deal that got it.

So, when you see a Honda on a Toyota used car lot, it's not there because it was traded in there. It simply came from the auction because it is on the buyer's list of desirables and passed the basic inspection. Which doesn't mean it wasn't traded in because it has a bad transmission, it just means it's passable right now. Which is why I would never buy a used car from a dealer without having it thoroughly checked out first.
    Last edited by kloker; 04-08-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Car Dealerships do not generally get the cars on their used car lots from their own trade-ins. Standard practice is to send those to auction, and buy the cars at auction that do wind up on the used lot. Exceptions are made, but usually only when an employee is interested in a trade-in. It's a method based on percentages, as many trade-ins will be hiding defects. Of course, the used car buyer faces an auction lot full of the same kinds of trade-ins, but he then has a crew of runners that inspect the cars he likes for a list of defects. The idea is to get rid of as many defect problems and undesirable trades as possible, and then re-acquire as few as he can. Most of the time they do come out ahead. Any money they make on a trade-in is money they've already made in the deal that got it.

So, when you see a Honda on a Toyota used car lot, it's not there because it was traded in there. It simply came from the auction because it is on the buyer's list of desirables and passed the basic inspection. Which doesn't mean it wasn't traded in because it has a bad transmission, it just means it's passable right now. Which is why I would never buy a used car from a dealer without having it thoroughly checked out first.
    Every single car I've traded in over the past few decades, ends up on the dealer's used car lot. Maybe it's because I don't settle for a low-ball offer, where they can make a quick buck at auction. I have heard that it's rare for a lease return to end up on their lots, though.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)

That makes sense actually. They are, at the end of the day, playing a numbers game.

That said.. when I traded my 2008 CRV in for my 2017 CRV.... staff at the dealer were actually salivating over who would get to buy it from the dealer. It was in excellent condition and only had 39K miles on... and the guy who handled the sale of my 2017 CRV was calling "first dibs" on buying my trade-in from the dealer.

I would add that they actually offered me more in trade then I would have asked, which was refreshing, their price pegging it at just under BB retail pricing. First time I had that happen with a Honda dealer.... as their used car managers usually try to low ball me well below wholesale BB and then I spend more time haggling over the trade in price then I do the actual sales price of the new vehicle. In the end, I always get my price, but it was nice to not have to go through that this time around.

Thanks (Received)
    Most 9 year trade-ins are sold by the new car dealer to a local used car “note lot”. Of course there are rare exceptions. Car dealerships never get “beat up” on trade-ins or new cars, no matter how the numbers are juggled. They buy Vaseline by the 55 gallon drum.
    2017 stripped EX-L - unmolested by the dealership
    Built July 2017, Indiana USA

MAN LAW - raise your hood once a week and have a look

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
    Every single car I've traded in over the past few decades, ends up on the dealer's used car lot. Maybe it's because I don't settle for a low-ball offer, where they can make a quick buck at auction. I have heard that it's rare for a lease return to end up on their lots, though.
    Again, usually when this happens it's because it's a very desirable model, or they can tell it has been well cared for and they can sell it with confidence that it will be a sound buy for their next mark, which generally means they can set a higher ask, or they might even already have a buyer. It would never be because they paid too much for it, because that never happens. Ever. Any time you trade in and buy new, the dealer makes money on both vehicles, and it's your money they take, because you give it to them. If you ever get to see the real numbers, you will understand.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Again, usually when this happens it's because it's a very desirable model, or they can tell it has been well cared for and they can sell it with confidence that it will be a sound buy for their next mark, which generally means they can set a higher ask, or they might even already have a buyer. It would never be because they paid too much for it, because that never happens. Ever. Any time you trade in and buy new, the dealer makes money on both vehicles, and it's your money they take, because you give it to them. If you ever get to see the real numbers, you will understand.
    If you don't want to read the long story, below, here's the part that is most relevant:

I traded in a vehicle back in 2008 that sat on the dealer's lot for almost a year, before it finally disappeared. Their asking price ($19k) at the end was much lower than what they gave me. Not all dealers are on top of their game.

The worst new car purchase of my life, as in depreciation, was a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS. It had the LS2 V8 from the Corvette and got about 12 to 13 MPG's on required premium. The gas crisis was heating up at the end of 2007 and early 2008 and gas was about $4.50/gal. I was spending almost $600/mo on gas for it, so I decided it wasn't worth the cost to keep it. This is the one and only time I tried to sell a vehicle myself. I was getting offers in the mid teens for a 2 year old vehicle that listed for $40k when new. It had just under 30k miles. Private party value was listed in the low $20's, around $22k. CarMax offered me $15k, which I laughed at. The Toyota dealer was about the same on a trade. About a month later I saw private party had dropped to around $21k and I didn't see any actual sales that were above $20.

I stopped by the local Hyundai dealer to check out the new 2009 Sonata Limited V6, which stickered at ~$27k. This was in early 2008, so I was surprised there were even 2009 models out already. Anyway, they offered me an even trade for my TBSS, which also meant I wouldn't have to pay any tax. I jumped on the offer and had an enjoyable 5 trouble free years and 80k miles with the Sonata. I don't remember exactly what they wrote as a price, but I believe it was around $23,500. As I noted above, my TBSS was listed on their lot at $19k several months later.

I've had other vehicles sit on dealer's lots for months, but not that long. The CR-V we traded in, in December, was just removed from their inventory last month. Their final asking price was $2k more than they gave us. According to the CarFax they replaced the brakes and valve cover gasket after we traded it in. Maybe in other parts of the country dealers don't try and sell their trade-ins, but it seems pretty common here.

14. ThanksJB in AZ, robbyg thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Some posts here are only critical, of everyone and everything, and are intended to incite.

I certainly have been sucked into responding to their baiting style in the past. I attempt to only write positive and helpful posts, and to not reply to overly critical posts, and posts that only intend to incite.

With that said, I also have had a similar experience to Mike728's where a vehicle I traded in sat for months and months on a dealer's lot, and finally was priced below what they gave me for it. The manager who makes the decision to "buy" the trade-in is human, and considering how many there are through out the US and Canada, I'm sure there have been many "mistakes" like this made in appraisals.

Most of us know the dealer's business model demands that they make money. Some of us accept that just as we know a restaurant charges many times more for a hamburger and a soda than we can make it ourselves at home. Some of us, who are able to do so, also prefer the newest safety features and economy that new cars offer, knowing that when we trade in after a few years, we have helped other working folks feed their families. (ok, that part may be a bit of a stretch)
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

16. Thanksrobbyg thanked for this post
  17. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast