Consumer Reports - CRV vs. RAV4 - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  22
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports - CRV vs. RAV4

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Eyesight is now standard on all Foresters for 2019.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rott650 View Post
    Eyesight is now standard on all Foresters for 2019.
    Good move and good to know. Makes sense since other manufacturers are doing so with their systems as well and the pattern seems to be when they rollout a refresh on the model.

Thanks (Received)
    Regardless of what CR believes folks have differing needs/ opinions; my oldest daughter (likely the brain in our 2nd Gen.) chose a fancy RAV4.
    My previous 36+ year experience with Honda (and the dealer) led me to a different conclusion.

While somewhat financially driven to date we are both happy with our decisions.
    1998 CRV LX 2wd (Ret)
    2016 CRV SE 2wd (Current)

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Regardless of what CR believes folks have differing needs/ opinions; my oldest daughter (likely the brain in our 2nd Gen.) chose a fancy RAV4.
    My previous 36+ year experience with Honda (and the dealer) led me to a different conclusion.

While somewhat financially driven to date we are both happy with our decisions.
    Cars have personalities just like people. Of course this is just a result of the people who design them, the way they want to make their vehicle stand out, their "corporate values" or what the lead engineer/brand manager wanted to make his model appeal to their target market. Your daughter finds something about Toyota that attracts her to them, for what ever reason. Our son and daughter-in-law (and her family) were Toyota loyalist for years, decades actually. But when it came time to get new cars over the past few years they went a different direction. First the son got a Fit because he knew we had owned two (the first and latest generation) and had fun with them plus they had been trouble free. Then when they decided to pass their 2007 Rav4 on to their son in college I advised them the new 2019 Rav was coming and they should hold off and test drive one before making up their minds.
    Daugher-in-Law took one test drive in the new Rav and RAN to the Honda dealer and got her new CR-V. Since then ever time I see her she raves about how much she loves the CR-V. I ask her why she liked it. Same answer every time: If feels like a car, not a truck! And she likes the "look" of it much better. She thought the Rav was just not her style.

To each their own. We have a LOT of Honda's in our family including many late model ones with direct injection. None have any issues at all after tens of thousands of miles. Toyota builds a good vehicle, its a good company with high quality standards. But, its not perfect. It doesn't walk on water. Just compare their Yaris to a Honda Fit and see the difference, for example.

7. Thanksmnestrud, crv383, robbyg, Matti thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm so glad this head-to-head comparison has finally been done. I couldn't be prouder to have made the right choice.. in choosing the 5th gen CR-V over the newer 5th Gen RAV4. But man do I feel like a fool. About 7 months ago I accepted a new job offer that would require a daily 100mile roundtrip commute. Driving a 20 year old Lincoln Navigator that averaged 12mpg and required premium gas, I was spending over $600 a month in gas! I knew before I ever signed the offer letter, I had to get rid of this truck for something much more fuel efficient. Having heard all of these stories about Toyota reliability and resale value.. and knowing that Toyota was launching a new gen RAV4.. I was absolutely sure I would be getting a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. Little did I know Toyota would drag its feet getting the new RAV4 to dealerships. I would have bought one sight unseen if a dealer could guarantee me a delivery date before the end of the 2018 calendar year. I didn't even care about location, color, trim or hybrid, I just knew I wanted the RAV4.

As fate would have it, the heat didn't work on the Navigator and freezing winter temps set in quickly. After almost of two full months of driving to work, freezing with an electric blanket plugged into the 12V socket.. the Navigator failed state inspection and would no longer pass, it was time to let it go. I was forced to get rid of it before the end of November and find something else to drive. Every review online listed the CR-V as king of the crossover SUVs. Then I found this forum and learned about Oil Dulition. This forum reeked of OD threads.. literally every thread on the front page had the same individuals discussing it over and over. It ruined any positive thread. How could the CR-V be ranked so highly, yet all of these guys focus on how bad the OD issue was. I test drove the 2019 Forester, CX-5 and even the Tesla Model 3. None of them seemed to match the bang for the buck of the CR-V. The Forester was loud & slow. The CX-5 was laughably cramped. The Model 3 was impressive but the cheapest version at the time was $44,000 and RWD only. I felt like the CR-V was the only viable option. And I purchased a new '18 EX-L on the last day of November 2018 for $27,700 + TTL. To cover my back on the OD issue, I paid an additional $1,200 to Sarrucci Honda for the 8yr/120K extended warranty.

Fast forward 3.5 months and I now have 10K miles on my '18 CR-V.. it averages 32mpg lifetime and hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. After being initially scared off by the OD threads.. I began checking my oil every 2-3 days religiously the first month.. I quickly realized the oil levels were absolutely fine and I also had no issues with lack of heat. In anything, the more I looked into the OD issue.. the more I realized it was the same 20 or so individuals in every thread screaming about OD. These guys had a bad experience with OD and did their best to make sure the entire world knew about it in every single thread on this forum.

The vast majority of CR-V owners had no OD issue. Looking even further.. I calculated that Honda has now sold almost 1 million Gen 5 CR-V's.. and I still can't locate a single engine failure this is 100% due to OD. Its one of the most overblown things I've ever witnessed and now I feel like a fool for paying the extra $1,200 for an extended warranty on a vehicle on a vehicle that has been absolutely stellar and has zero signs of any issues after months of heavy use. If I could do it all over again.. not only would I have chosen the CR-V.. but I probably would have bought it a year or two earlier and used the extra money I spent on the extended warranty to upgrade to the top of the line Touring trim instead.

TL : DR.. Anybody who is unbiased and test drives the both the RAV4 and CR-V will come to the exact same conclusion as Consumer Reports. The CR-V is flat out better in ever measurable way. For under $30K.. you can get a CR-V with leather interior, Android Auto, remote start, a ton of extra interior space, better MPG, better acceleration and too many goodies to even list. Not only is the CR-V cheaper than the RAV4, I believe it looks/feels/drives overwhelmingly better. About the only negative you can find about the CR-V.. is the overblown OD issue. And if it really bothers you that much just buy the extended warranty. You will still end up with a vehicle better than the RAV4 in every way.. and a better bang for the bucks than any of its competitors. And if you ever decide to sell it.. the money spent on the extended warranty will pay for itself thanks to the class leading resale value of the CR-V. Thats another gotcha about the RAV4.. because Toyota fleet sales the RAV4 to rental car and tax companies.. expect RAV4 to depreciate much quicker.. as the market will be flooded with a ton of used Gen5 RAV4's once these companies start to renew their fleet.
    Last edited by Daekwan; 04-15-2019 at 11:50 AM.

9. ThanksJB in AZ, Wiley_11, robbyg, Matti thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore Wiley_11's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
    I feel like a fool for paying the extra $1,200 for an extended warranty on a vehicle on a vehicle that has been absolutely stellar and has zero signs of any issues after months of heavy use.
    I have 2 years of trouble free use on my EXL and absolutely love the thing. And I have another 6 years of worry free use with the 8 year extended warranty. The transferable extended warranty is also nice selling feature if you sell before 8 years.

The wife sure was glad she had extended warranty on her 2013 Outback when the $2300 head unit had to be replaced at 40 months of ownership, about twice the price of the warranty.

Thanks (Received)
    The vast majority of CR-V owners had no OD issue. Looking even further.. I calculated that Honda has now sold almost 1 million Gen 5 CR-V's.. and I still can't locate a single engine failure this is 100% due to OD. Its one of the most overblown things I've ever witnessed and now I feel like a fool for paying the extra $1,200 for an extended warranty on a vehicle on a vehicle that has been absolutely stellar and has zero signs of any issues after months of heavy use. If I could do it all over again.. not only would I have chosen the CR-V.. but I probably would have bought it a year or two earlier and used the extra money I spent on the extended warranty to upgrade to the top of the line Touring trim instead.
    Yep some of us have been saying this from the start. As you observed it is about 20+ people in the OD thread. They get up every morning and post something to keep the OD thread at the Top of the page. They even admit they have nothing new to talk about but still keep on posting. They are hungry for others to come in and argue with them in the thread so that they have some fodder to keep it going. It seems like their whole lives revolve around their car and finding ways to make Honda pay for selling them a Lemon. They keep on trying to convince everyone that it is an epidemic. A pretty useless argument given the fact that over a million people are driving this vehicle and only maybe 150-250 people are having this issue.

I use to feel sorry for them because I knew the issue they are having is real. At some point I stopped feeling sorry for them because they seem to like complaining about things that are IMHO not worth getting that upset over. Just sell the Dam car and get something else instead of whining about it day in and day out. Life is too short to waste an hour of it every single day talking about something that you hate.

Rob
    Last edited by robbyg; 04-15-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    2018 White Diamond Pearl 1.5T AWD Black Leather, Panoramic Sun Roof, All LED Lighting and Made in Thailand.

12. ThanksS2k_Dude, Matti thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    Yep some of us have been saying this from the start. As you observed it is about 20+ people in the OD thread. They get up every morning and post something to keep the OD thread at the Top of the page. They even admit they have nothing new to talk about but still keep on posting. They are hungry for others to come in and argue with them in the thread so that they have some fodder to keep it going. It seems like their whole lives revolve around their car and finding ways to make Honda pay for selling them a Lemon. They keep on trying to convince everyone that it is an epidemic. A pretty useless argument given the fact that over a million people are driving this vehicle and only maybe 150-250 people are having this issue.

I use to feel sorry for them because I knew the issue they are having is real. At some point I stopped feeling sorry for them because they seem to like complaining about things that are IMHO not worth getting that upset over. Just sell the Dam car and get something else instead of whining about it day in and day out. Life is too short to waste an hour of it every single day talking about something that you hate.

Rob
    A pretty useless argument given the fact that over a million people are driving this vehicle and only maybe 150-250 people are having this issue.

Seriously? 150-250 people? I'm taking everything you have said (or say in the future) with more than a grain of salt.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)

I'm so glad this head-to-head comparison has finally been done. I couldn't be prouder to have made the right choice......

I feel like a fool for paying the extra $1,200 for an extended warranty on a vehicle on a vehicle that has been absolutely stellar and has zero signs of any issues after months of heavy use.

Congrats on a good choice! Enjoy your CR-V!

Don't feel bad about buying the extended warranty. There are a lot of electronic components that are likely covered..if one fails after standard warranty, you've again made the right choice!
    Last edited by JB in AZ; 04-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Guess CR didn’t test for fuel dilution...reason enough to go to the alternative.

16. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast