Consumer Reports - CRV vs. RAV4 - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  22
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports - CRV vs. RAV4

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike881881 View Post
    A pretty useless argument given the fact that over a million people are driving this vehicle and only maybe 150-250 people are having this issue.

Seriously? 150-250 people? I'm taking everything you have said (or say in the future) with more than a grain of salt.
    Go to CivicX.com or BITOG.com and look for used oil analyses for Honda’s 1.5T that measure it with gas chromotography. You’ll find that virtually every one has fuel dilution >5% (the highest they measure), which this labs regard as “panic time”.

Maybe this will be found to be harmless, maybe not. But it’s not isolated or rare: it’s common.

2. ThanksThonda thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    And there it goes... This was a civil thread until post 35 had to make a mention of you know what.

Why can't the mods just delete posts, vs. locking whole threads? That's where this is now headed, unfortunately.

5. ThanksJB in AZ, S2k_Dude thanked for this post
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dans15 View Post
    Guess CR didn’t test for fuel dilution...reason enough to go to the alternative.
    Interesting that did not comment on their own article/concern about ODf from last fall.. Or a least a followup comment on the current status of their concern of the issue. Heck, even at the time they were calling for a safety recall per the Talking Cars guys on this very issue with the CK engine stalls- now nothing. Strange.

Meanwhile, I am waiting for local inventory to arrive to test drive the 2019 Rav4 hybrid as a possible replacement. One of my friends has already dumped her 2017 CR-V due to the OD and cabin heat issue.

I am not planning to even test drive a 2019 Rav4 gas model until 2020's one come out. Hopefully my 2017 CR-V will last until then or the hbrid will look good enough to jump now. LOL
    Last edited by dstein; 04-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.

7. Thanksrobbyg thanked for this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstein View Post
    Interesting that did not comment on their own article/concern about ODf from last fall.. Or a least a followup comment on the current status of their concern of the issue. Heck, even at the time they were calling for a safety recall per the Talking Cars guys on this very issue with the CK engine stalls- now nothing. Strange.
    Exactly, they were the ones that bought it up and yet they evidently do not think that it is a major issue for the public to be concerned about or they would have mentioned it as one of the CONS of owning a CRV.

Anyway enough on this topic, as Mike stated it's just going to get the post closed.
    Last edited by robbyg; 04-15-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    2018 White Diamond Pearl 1.5T AWD Black Leather, Panoramic Sun Roof, All LED Lighting and Made in Thailand.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    As a 2018 RAV4 driver, I have to laugh at the CR analysis. 9700 miles and I have no idea what they are talking about in regards to engine and wind noise. I knew I wanted a smaller SUV after my beloved Maxima was totaled by a teen who made a poor driving choice. The RAV4 and the CRV were at the top of the list, but I went with the RAV4 for specific reasons:

1) I wanted a sunroof. I had to move up 2 trim levels to get it on the CRV only one for the RAV4. Strike 1 against Honda.
    2) Going to the EXL for the CRV, I was forced into a turbo. No thanks, I don't want the complexity.
    3) Reliability was key for me - and then I came across the issue of gas contamination in the oil. Honda telling me "there would be no impact on engine life" was a baloney answer.
    If they truly believed it, they can pay for the extended warranty to 150K miles. Didn't see that offer, so I didn't just say no, I *ran*.

Now, I truly hope most of you never have an issue with your 1.5L Turbo due to any of the contamination. I happen to keep my cars for 15+ years (sans teen drivers).
    I happen to have a 2005 CRV in the driveway now with a crap load of issues due to poor quality. I'll be re-working the A/C in the next month. The Acura with the new transmission in it sits in another spot.
    File this under "I have my reasons". Now I know Toyota isn't perfect, but Honda has just left a bad taste in my driveway. As for CR not bringing it up? Oh wow.

11. ThanksThonda thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    @cgilley, It's great that there are competing products from multiple companies to meet each individual's needs and priorities.

Enjoy your RAV4! I suspect it will serve you well.
    2019 Acura RDX Advance Pkg
    Previously owned Hondas:
    2018 CR-V Touring 2WD (Traded 1/22/19 for '19 RDX)
    2014 CR-V EX-L Navi
    2001 Civic EX 5 Spd

Thanks (Received)
    So glad to see some positive posts here. I got so tired of reading about oil dilution on this forum that I started deleting all the email notifications from this site. It seemed to me that it was all negative. I have had 2 CRVs over the years and have never had any problems with them. And judging by the number of them you see on the road, they must be doing something right. Any car can have problems but when I saw that every post was negative and always about OD I gave up. So glad to see some positive posts here

14. ThanksJB in AZ thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilley View Post
    As a 2018 RAV4 driver, I have to laugh at the CR analysis. 9700 miles and I have no idea what they are talking about in regards to engine and wind noise. ...
    They're referring to the redesigned 2019 Rav4, not your 2018. They are not the only publication that mentions it.

16. ThanksGW208 thanked for this post
    BDW
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dans15 View Post
    Go to CivicX.com or BITOG.com and look for used oil analyses for Honda’s 1.5T that measure it with gas chromotography. You’ll find that virtually every one has fuel dilution >5% (the highest they measure), which this labs regard as “panic time”.

Maybe this will be found to be harmless, maybe not. But it’s not isolated or rare: it’s common.
    These people are living in fantasy land, lol. And the car rags must be in cahoots with Honda to make this conveniently a non issue. My owners manual says driving with an overfilled crank case can damage my engine. I can’t drive even 1,000 miles after a change without having a significantly overfilled crank case — and not just over filled with oil, but a mixture of oil and gas.

So I guess the owners manual means nothing anymore. OK. Just drive it that way.

People who have this engine and think they are never going to have OD issues remind me of a child who just covers up his ears when he gets news he doesn’t like. As if that will make it go away.

18. ThanksThonda thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    This is the most informative and brilliant response I HAVE EVER witnessed on this forum. I am a proud owner of a 2017 EX-L with around 9,000 miles. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

20. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast