13K miles on tires - can I replace one?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13K miles on tires - can I replace one?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)

13K miles on tires - can I replace one?

I just discovered a surface split on the sidewalk of one of my tires. My CR-V has only a little under 13,000 miles so I'm not necessarily inclined to toss all 4 just yet - even if they are the Bridgestone Ecopians that came with the car. I think the split came from some bad tire contact issue that happened recently, although I have no evidence to prove that as I didn't check the tires at the time. In any case, would it be okay if I just replaced this one damaged guy, or is 13K of mixed highway and local driving too much wear on the tires for that to be good?
    2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD, Molten Lava Pearl Exterior/ Ivory Leather Interior,
    Made in Canada

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I assume you have AWD? Even fussy AWD makers like Subaru allow a tire tread depth difference of 2/32 inch. If a new tire would be that close to existing tire depth there should be no issue: keep it on the front even after rotations until wear is evened.

If it’s more than 2/32 inch, you may want to have a new tire “shaved” to the correct tread depth. TireRack, among others, will do this for a nominal fee. Certainly cheaper then buying an extra 3 new tires.

crv|oc Rank: Senior fishycomics's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    New to the front axle. skip rotation on the next it will be safe. if adding two both go to the front. or rear. and the rotation is done normal. see what others will say how they do theirs.

Been there done that... and have a chunk gone as well seems these stock tires are cr*p
    k ROADSTER

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    If your CRV is AWD... and given that you do not have abnormal treadwear, the key point here is that you must replace a single tire with the same exact make and model of tire or you will have potential problems with your traction system and/or unusual tire noise and probably recurring TPMS issues as well. It's the price you pay for AWD.

At 13K, I would expect tread wear differences are not yet great enough to mean you need to buy a pair of matching tires, but you certainly will face an issue if you replace a single tire with a totally different make/model of tire. I found this out the hard way about 4 years ago when I had a sidewall puncture on one tire on my old 2008 CRV.

crv|oc Rank: Senior fishycomics's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    If what I said was not helpful compare it to the manual, if you need me to dig up the one tire where I got that, let me know and I will do it otherwise that is what we do.

RTFM: Page 156 starts out
    http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATLA1717OG.PDF

n Tire and Wheel Replacement
    Replace your tires with radials of the same size, load range, speed rating, and
    maximum cold tire pressure rating (as shown on the tire’s sidewall). Using tires of a
    different size or construction can cause certain vehicle systems such as ABS and
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) to work incorrectly. It is best to replace all four tires at
    the same time. If that isn’t possible, replace the front or rear tires in pairs.
    If you change or replace a wheel, make sure that the wheel’s specifications match
    those of the original wheels. Only use TPMS-specified wheels approved for your
    vehicle.
    Installing improper tires on your vehicle can affect handling and stability.
    This can cause a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or killed.
    Always use t
    k ROADSTER

Thanks (Received)
    Yes it's an AWD and yes of course I would replace it with the exact same make and model, even if it is a mediocre Ecopian
    Made in Canada

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    It’s the best thing that ever happened to you. The Bridgestone’s suck, replace them all with a better tire.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    X2 on replacing 2 tires on the same axle.

Some folks have found that replacement tires (aftermarket) are different than OEM of the same brand & type. (Meaning: the OE fitment tires are a special construction and specification...usually due to rolling resistance & noise specifications.) So, doing them in pairs is always the Best Practice.

When our V was new we picked up a screw in the sidewall. I knew that no tire store would repair it, so I sealed the threads with RTV and ran it for another 20K miles, LOL.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Thanks (Received)
    @Carbuff2, just out of curiosity what RTV did you use?
    Made in Canada

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    That's a Professional Secret. Can't put the tire stores out of business, LOL.

But seriously,

It was just some RTV we had laying around the house (black, of course). That redneck-repaired tire DID lose air faster than the others after that, and midway through the 20K miles I had to re-seal it.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast