2018 CRV dies (dead battery) after a week of no driving - normal?
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 CRV dies (dead battery) after a week of no driving - normal?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2018 CRV dies (dead battery) after a week of no driving - normal?

I travel a lot on business, at least a couple times a month, for anywhere from 2 to 8 days. I leave my car locked in an unheated garage behind my house. I live in the Chicago area.

For my old car, a 2002 Honda CRV-EX, this was never an issue. Come home, get in the car, start it, go. For my new car, bought just three months ago, its battery wears out and I have to get it jumped. So far three times. The first couple times I figured I left a light on or something. (Each time the Honda Assistance guy said the alternator was fine.)

Today after it was jumped, I had all sorts of warnings on the dash saying a bunch of systems (like Vehicle Detect) weren't working, and the touch screen was black. Couldn't get anything. So after driving for a while to charge it up, I drove to my dealer.

The dealer service guy told me unlike my old CRV, the new ones have so many electronic draws on the battery even when the car is off, you really need to drive it for fairly long distances every few days (I work from home, so I don't) to "charge it up," to keep the alternator/battery up. He said I should get a battery charger thing, like this, and hook it up before I go out of town again:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...dp/B00068XCQU/

Does this sound correct? Does anyone else not drive their late model CRV a whole lot, and have the same issues? I can't believe I have to babysit this car like this. Before every trip, open the hood and hook up a charger to the battery to keep the charge up? Really?

2 questions:
    1) Assuming the answer is "yes, really," does this charger I found on Amazon ... does it look like it'll do the job? (anyone else using a charger they recommend?). If I have to do it I'll do it.

and
    2) Is it possible to just "turn off" some of the internal things using charges, like disconnect some fuses, or (as the tow truck driver suggested), disconnect one of the things on the battery itself? I know that would disable the alarm, which honestly isn't that important to me, but I'd think it'd mean everything else would get reset.

Thanks for any help...
    AM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    There is a software update for the battery draw issue. Honda has issued a TSB so your dealer should know about it or look it up.

I had left my 17 EX at the airport for a week and when I came back it was completely dead. The parking lot had a battery pack for issues like this so I was able to jumpstart my CR-V. Went to the dealer later and they applied the software update according to the TSB. Haven’t left my CR-V sitting for a week so don’t know if it has fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)

Or, one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by amarie View Post
    and 2) Is it possible to just "turn off" some of the internal things using charges, like disconnect some fuses, or (as the tow truck driver suggested), disconnect one of the things on the battery itself? I know that would disable the alarm, which honestly isn't that important to me, but I'd think it'd mean everything else would get reset. Thanks for any help.
    Or one of these from Harbor Freight?

Name:  Picture0001.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  22.0 KB

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by downunder47 View Post
    Or one of these from Harbor Freight?

Name:  Picture0001.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  22.0 KB
    Really? Why not just get the known issue fixed? http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/A17-032.PDF

Edit: Just noticed you have a 2018, which is not included in this TSB. I would still have them check it out, rather than just finding a work-around. Maybe the battery has a bad cell, which is not uncommon on these newer batteries.
    Last edited by Mike728; 03-25-2018 at 04:01 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Would a larger battery with more reserve be a viable solution? Don't know if anyone has tried it on a Gen5 yet.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...y-install.html
    2018 CR-V LX CVT FWD 2.4L - Previous: 1999 Accord LX 5MT 2.4L for 19 years.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    A larger battery is always a good idea, but it is not a solution for this problem.

Thanks (Received)
    Recently purchased a 2018 CR-V EL-L with a power tailgate. With car parked in garage, heard a noise coming from the back of the car. Sounded like the tailgate pull in motor running. Opening and closing the tailgate made it stop. Needless to say, the battery was quite drained. Took all night to recharge with a trickle charger. I'm going to monitor for this before bringing the car into the dealer to check out. This might be the source of your and others dead batteries.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmthurowski View Post
    Recently purchased a 2018 CR-V EL-L with a power tailgate. With car parked in garage, heard a noise coming from the back of the car. Sounded like the tailgate pull in motor running. Opening and closing the tailgate made it stop. Needless to say, the battery was quite drained. Took all night to recharge with a trickle charger. I'm going to monitor for this before bringing the car into the dealer to check out. This might be the source of your and others dead batteries.
    That is completely normal and nothing to worry about. See this thread: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...r-car-not.html

Thanks (Received)

Dead battery woes

[QUOTE=Hankman;1353297]There is a software update for the battery draw issue. Honda has issued a TSB so your dealer should know about it or look it up.

I had left my 17 EX at the airport for a week and when I came back it was completely dead. The parking lot had a battery pack for issues like this so I was able to jumpstart my CR-V. Went to the dealer later and they applied the software update according to the TSB. Haven’t left my CR-V sitting for a week so don’t know if it has fixed the problem.

I will check on this. My 2016 dies after two to three weeks. My wife is an airlne employee who travels for a couple weeks at a time. Its a major imconveniemce to come home to a dead car. If Honda cant resolve this, i can see a Rav4 or Forrester in my future. I was extremely ticked at midnight last week when i had to deal with a dead battery. (Third time)

Thanks (Received)
    Yes. It sounds like my '08 BMW, which has many draws, too: remote key radio receiver, security system,several computers, etc.

I think a battery maintainer (charger) is the correct solution, presuming you have electricity available in your garage.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast