2001 Crv when engine hot, hard start/very high idle
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Crv when engine hot, hard start/very high idle

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2001 Crv when engine hot, hard start/very high idle

Hey all I've got a 2001 CRV with 346k miles on it. When the engine is cold it starts right up and idles smooth. However if I have been driving the car until the engine is hot and stop somewhere, when I go to start it up again it struggles quite a bit to start. Then once the engine does start the rpm's shoot up to about 2500 and sit there for a minute or two (It's a 5 speed). Eventually they come back down and it idles around 800. Since getting the car I've replaced the spark plugs/wires, and upstream oxygen sensor. It has a check engine light on, but just code p0420 for under performing cat. I've checked the main relay and all that looks to be intact. Is this a common issue? Does anyone know what else I can check to try and fix it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    At 346k miles it could be that the downstream O2 sensor is bad, or could be a bad catalytic converter.

When was the last time the engine valves were adjusted?

Oh, and I'm a Lou Bega fan, too.
    Last edited by racoon; 11-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    At 346k miles it could be that the downstream O2 sensor is bad, or could be a bad catalytic converter.

When was the last time the engine valves were adjusted?

Oh, and I'm a Lou Bega fan, too.

Haha glad to meet another fan! Would the cat being bad cause the issues I'm having? I have no idea when the valves were last adjusted or the service history of the car. I bought it from a man who was selling it for his deceased father for $700.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Assume its never been done , one more time ought to last Her out( hard to believe how long Hondas can run), Hey Folks while I am Here, I have brand new headlight assemblies for 20-04 CRV anyone interested? 40$ for both( they are taking up room in my building, they were supposed to be for an 07 Fit by the time I got around to trying them out I couldn't return them,
    I had the valves adjusted on the D15 in my Fit and yes it seemed to quiet things down a bit, I do not think the previous owner was extra good on maintenance

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Thanks (Received)
    I found this, very basic and not a lot of details:

https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ic-converters/

Here are five signs that something may be wrong with your catalytic converter:

Your vehicle’s fuel efficiency suddenly drops.

Your vehicle doesn’t accelerate when you step on the gas pedal.

Your vehicle may refuse to start.

Your vehicle fails an emissions test.

The MIL or Check Engine light comes on.

So have you been tracking your fuel mileage?

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    I found this, very basic and not a lot of details:

So have you been tracking your fuel mileage?
    Yes fuel mileage is not that bad. I also feel like if the cat was clogged it would have these issues all the time, not just on start up only when its warmed up.

Thanks (Received)
    I am also having the same issue. I have an 03 AWD 5-speed. My cat is also throwing a code and an O2 sensor is bad. Following to see your outcome.

Thanks (Received)
    Updates. Today I was driving for a while and suddenly the engine revs starting going down and the gas pedal had no response whatsoever. Similar to a car just running out of gas. The car has never died while running up until this point. I tried to restart it and while it cranked really hard wouldn't give. After waiting a couple hours for it to cool off it started right up. I suspect the fuel pump is going bad and getting worse on me. Mostly because it works well when cold but after running a while the fuel pump motor starts to get hot and have issues. I don't think it's electrical as it cranks very hard when I try to start it and has never misfired on me. Will update more when I get around to testing fuel pressure and possibly replacing the pump.

Thanks (Received)
    At those miles, valves would have been done several times are valves would have been replaced a few times.

Valve adjustment can be part of your issue because old versions tightened over time holding valves open.

Chances of your fuel pump being an issue with your problems is between 1 and none

mostly likely cause sounds like a problem in the distributor (dont have to notice a misfire for there to be a problem. miss fire ONLY happens that you can feel when problem doesnt effect all cylinders. Doesnt mean there isnt a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Gold
    Thanks (Received)
    One fairly low cost thing to try is to replace the fuel filter that is mounted on the passenger side of the firewall. Even Fram makes one.

That yr CRV also had problems with the ignition coil and ignitor (electronic points).
    http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda...system-tests-1
    Might or might not help reading the info in the above link, but it could give you a better understanding of the ignition.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Don't forget to check to see if the PCV valve is working properly or not!
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 11-16-2018 at 03:36 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast