2011 CRV Oil leak
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CRV Oil leak

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2011 CRV Oil leak

Hi im new here. My girlfriends CRV has an oil leak around the Oil pressure switch area. It seems to only leak when driving so that makes it hard to diagnose.

I have already changed: valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, vtec solenoid gasket filter.

I have uploaded a video: https://youtu.be/e0bLhVNHCBs

If someone has an idea what it could be I will appreciate your comments.

Thank you,
    Michael.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Can't tell from your vid, but it is possible for the sender itself to be leaking through its body.

Replace it with a quality part, not the cheapest.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

4. Thanksmmeyer77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Can't tell from your vid, but it is possible for the sender itself to be leaking through its body.

Replace it with a quality part, not the cheapest.
    By sender do you mean the oil pressure switch right? I tried to take some pictures, the pressure switch has a drop of oil on its body. The oil gets all the way down to the oil pan and filter. Thanks for your reply.Name:  20190112_190610.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  21.3 KBName:  20190112_190658.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  21.2 KBName:  20190112_190540.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  21.7 KBName:  20190112_190522.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  19.7 KB

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Yes - it is not a switch. It's a sending unit that senses the oil pressure and sends that data to the computer. It is not super-uncommon for them to leak. It's easy to replace, just screws into a threaded hole. Be sure to clean any oil off the electrical connector before re-connecting. This assumes it is what is leaking. You need to determine if the oil on it is coming out of it or leaking from above first. If in doubt, clean the area of all oil, then drive it and keep watching it until you can verify the source of the leak.
    Larry

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm supremely confident that next time I'll make a different mistake.

2007 CR-V EX-L AWD Green Tea Metallic
    1991 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab LWB 4X4, 460 AT

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloker View Post
    Yes - it is not a switch. It's a sending unit that senses the oil pressure and sends that data to the computer. It is not super-uncommon for them to leak. It's easy to replace, just screws into a threaded hole. Be sure to clean any oil off the electrical connector before re-connecting. This assumes it is what is leaking. You need to determine if the oil on it is coming out of it or leaking from above first. If in doubt, clean the area of all oil, then drive it and keep watching it until you can verify the source of the leak.
    Thank you for the feedback. That's exactly what I've been doing, reading a lot of post here, cleaning the area and trying to diagnose, that's why I went by changing the VTEC solenoid gasket because it had oil around.

On the second picture I uploaded there is a drop of oil in the body of the oil sender and also a drop in the bolt of the side engine bracket.

I will replace the oil sender and report back.

Thank you

Thanks (Received)
    In industry, I have seen many oil pressure senders leak through their bodies.
    2002 CRV EX
    2015 CRV EX

Thanks (Received)
    Just an update. I ordered a new Oil sender unit yesterday, then decided to clean the area where the leak is with brake cleaner one more time because I suspect the oil is also coming from another part. I went to the market and came back to the house to check it, and I could see a trace of oil on the right side of the engine above the crankshaft pulley. I saw in another post that the VTC solenoid can leak but I could not see a trace of oil coming from there, but there was oil in the bolts that holds a bracket above the crankshaft pulley (circled with red in picture below). What could be leaking in this area?Name:  bolt circled red.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  37.9 KB

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Its difficult to see without a 'big picture' view. (I know that it is also difficult to position a camera/phone properly...)

If that pic was show 'up from the bottom' it doesn't indicate that the bolt is leaking. It MAY be leaking from above...

EDIT: When you changed the valve cover gasket, did you apply oil-resistant RTV at the 'corners' of the gasket as specified? If not (or if it wasn't cleaned properly) the leak could be coming from there.
    Last edited by Carbuff2; 01-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '19 HR-V EX

North NJ

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    Is this the 'drop' of oil you're talking about on the bracket?
    How would oil get 'up' there if not from above?
    I'd say give the whole area another shot of the brake cleaner and look again after another drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2013 EX FWD 5AT - Mountain Air Metallic (HER's)-Now on Michelin Defender H+T's
    2011 Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L w/NAV 5AT full HFP treatment installed at the factory (Honda Corp was 1st owner) Taffeta White (wife won't even ride in it now that we have the CR-V)

2002 Accord V-6 EX-L 4-dr Taffeta White (sold)
    2000 Ody EX Granite Green Metallic (sold)
    1983 Accord EX 4-dr 5-spd Metallic Grey (sold)
    1980 Accord 2-dr 5-spd Sand Beige (sold)
    (and at least 3 others that the kids have owned)

Thanks (Received)
    Kloker, on these versions is it not a sending unit, it is a simple switch for the oil pressure light. Off with pressure, on without.

The sending unit is up on top on the Vtec spool solenoid assembly.

As for what everyone else said, good chance that's the leak or it's the actually sending unit up on top of the spool valve assembly (directly above the oil pressure switch).

Easy way to tell between switch and sending unit. Switch has 1 wire coming to it as it operates just like the button that turns your interior lights on when you open the door. Makes a ground connection inside. A sending unit has 2 or more wires, one wire is reference in, second is reference out. Out is a signal wire that sends voltage info back to computer (as oil pressure changes, so does the resistance inside raising or lowering voltage coming back to computer). 3 wires means the sending unit has a separate ground wire instead of being grounded inside the sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tigris99; 01-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast