2019 CRV EX Battery issue
  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CRV EX Battery issue

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Unhappy 2019 CRV EX Battery issue

Since we got our CRV a couple of weeks ago, we have had a dead battery 5 times. Haven't made it more than 3 days without this issue. We had it jumped once and towed back to the dealer 4 times including yesterday. Still in the 'you must be doing something wrong' stage. No, we aren't. They have even watched how we shut the vehicle off. Are we the only ones with this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    How many new batteries have they installed? No problems on my '19, sits a couple days between runs usually.
    Jim
    2019 Touring AWD

4. Thanksraybad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Only 1 new battery so far. Have less than 500 miles on it. Had mechanical hand controls put in for my wife after they supposedly fixed our issue with the new battery.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

avs
    Thanks (Received)
    It happens a lot of newer cr-v with battery going dead.
    Do you live in colder climate state? Making a lot of short trips and leaving the car not driven for days?
    Do you happen to one of those voltmeter where you plug in to the cigarette plug and monitor the voltage?
    There’s a good change the electronic load detector (ELD) not putting enough current to charge the battery.

8. Thanksraybad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    We live in Ohio. We had it jumped, ran it 30 minutes and then went 20 miles to a mall. When we got home, we shut it down properly (took a video) and by midnight the next day, it was dead. Don't own a voltmeter, but might need one. Towed again Saturday afternoon and still don't have it back.

avs
    Thanks (Received)
    Something like this would work to monitor the battery voltage while driving.
    Palumma Car Charger, 5V/4.2A Dual USB Port Safe Smart Quick Car Charger Adapter with LED/LCD Display Battery Low Voltage Warning Volt Meter Car Battery Monitor (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773BYS6P..._8WQFCbFHMNMY4

If you don’t get over 13 volt while driving. The alternator is not putting out enough juice to charge the battery. It’s only putting a min. Voltage to keep the car running.

11. Thanksraybad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    I have a 2019 CRV EX-L and have had a dead battery x4 in since I purchased the car on 12 January 2019. The first time Honda Roadside Assist said I left the lights on even though I didn't think I had. I am human after all and could have. 2nd time - towed to dealership. They found no problems. 3rd time - again towed to dealership. After 2 days, they said there was a bad cell in the battery and replaced it. 4th time - again towed to dealership. After a few choice words was given a loaner car. The dealership had it for a week and one-half. The found a draw of .5 amp on the battery from the Evaporation leak detection module. The computer(s) are supposed to shut down any electrical power after 30 - 60 minutes once the ignition is shut off. Evidently the electrical system "wakes up" and continues to draw power giving you a dead battery. The dealer stated that a software update is needed by didn't have any real timeline but "they were working on it". They also said there were 3 other cars with the same issue at this small dealership alone. So in the interim, they said keep the fuel tank above 50% and when you turn off the ignition immediately turn it on and off again. This is supposed to bypass or should I say confuse the software enough so that it doesn't "wake up" randomly. I've had the car for one week and so far have not had a dead battery. All this stinks but until there is a software update, at least I have a car. I hope this helps for now.

13. Thanksraybad thanked for this post
    Not-a-Mechanic
    Thanks (Received)
    Well my first thought was something was being left on, unbeknownst to you, but there is a second case. Odd problem, watch for a TSB or recall soon, that's just not right. Options in the mean time, leave it on trickle charge or pull the negative terminal, annoying.
    2011 CR-V 4WD AT

15. Thanksraybad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)

Ha!

It would appear that Honda now says that there is an electrical problem with 2019 CRVs. NOT completely identified, but there Is a problem. We got a second new battery yesterday. Now the 2 possible work arounds: 1) Drive at least 20 minutes every other day. OR 2) Get a trickle charger (~$18) until a actual problem is identified and a fix is available. Going with option 2 for now.

Thanks (Received)
    If you have a harbor freight they have them for under $10.
    I have to put the wife's car on one periodically. She's traveling a lot so it's not getting used enough.

18. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast